What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Valheru

Coach
I expect Ron Coote was chosen over Beetson for two reasons.
1. Not an Immortal so recognition “due”
2. As ex Souths and Easts it could be a positive when trying to entice South’s back to the SFS.

Just guessing.
I think you are spot on with point 2.

Seems they are anticipating souths re-locating to the venue.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The Sydney Morning Herald had a more thorough article about it that they published on the weekend (source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ured-with-sfs-grandstand-20220130-p59s9w.html) -

I do have to ask, considering they have never played on the site, why on Earth would you ask the Sydney Swans about what the stands at the new SFS (a ground that they will not be playing at) be named? It makes absolutely no sense at all.
Just had a read of the article, not sure if I missed something but I couldn't see where the Swans were mentioned.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Why would you need to merge 2 football teams that average 50k and 30k respectively?

sunderland afc average attendance is bigger than the Brisbane broncos and all this whilst they are in the 3rd tier of English footbal.
You wouldn't but you get where I'm coming from?

Like the Northern Eagles disaster proved, merging sworn enemies would never work, not now not ever.

T-Boon

Coach
I expect Ron Coote was chosen over Beetson for two reasons.
1. Not an Immortal so recognition “due”
2. As ex Souths and Easts it could be a positive when trying to entice South’s back to the SFS.

Just guessing.
Also he is a Queenslander.
Brad Fittler should have a stand.

Didn't Mark Coyne score the miracle try are Northern End of the ground?

Name it the Mark Coyne Stand!

Mark Coyne > Johny Warren

The SFS should be renamed Arthur Beetson Stadium.

The following article was published yesterday by the Sydney Morning Herald (source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/female...l-stadium-naming-honours-20220131-p59sm6.html) -

Female athletes still in mix for Sydney Football Stadium naming honours​

By Iain Payten and Dominic Bossi

February 1, 2022 — 5.30am

Female athletes still in mix for Sydney Football Stadium naming honours

Female sporting figures are still among the candidates for recognition at the new $828 million Sydney Football Stadium despite all the grandstands being, so far, named after men.

It was revealed on Sunday the rebuilt Sydney Football Stadium, which is on track for completion in late August, will have grandstands named after Souths and Roosters rugby league great Ron Coote, former Socceroos legend Johnny Warren and distinguished former Wallabies captain and Sydney Lord Mayor Sir Nicholas Shehadie. The latter of the trio already had his name on the eastern stand of the old SFS.

The fourth stand will be the “Garrison” Stand, acknowledging the significance of the precinct when British Army soldiers played cricket on a field that later turned into the Sydney Cricket Ground.

But the lack of female representation was noted by some, particularly given the SCG and SFS precinct is now heavily used by women’s teams and the FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2023 will be launched at the new Sydney Football Stadium.

Venues NSW chairman Tony Shepherd declined to confirm any of the grandstand names but said the work of the independent SGG Trust heritage advisory committee, which was tasked with recommending the names to be attached to the new SFS, is not yet complete and female athletes are still among the candidates for recognition.

“There are many other stands and facilities which are yet to be named,” Shepherd said.

“We have a highly respected, independent committee working through it and it is not the end of naming facilities in the new stadium. And there will be female candidates, of course.”
It is believed there are four more areas to be named, on top of the four stands.

The new SFS is going to have all the whizz bangs and lighting. All the personal touches can be achieved.

Why not for each game, depending on tenant/sport, they name each stand accordingly :

NRL
Beetson / Coote / Fittler etc

Soccer
Johnny Warren / Arnold / Slater / Etc

RU
Campese / Ella / Farr-Jones / Gregan etc

Deacon

First Grade
The new SFS is going to have all the whizz bangs and lighting. All the personal touches can be achieved.

Why not for each game, depending on tenant/sport, they name each stand accordingly :

NRL
Beetson / Coote / Fittler etc

Soccer
Johnny Warren / Arnold / Slater / Etc

RU
Campese / Ella / Farr-Jones / Gregan etc
how dare u talk common sense