What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Quidgybo

Bench
Comsidering the development at Bradfield, would there be any considerations to build a stadium there?
Long term I think it’s inevitable. The new ”parkland city” will have it’s own equivalent of Moore Park or Parramatta Park immediately to the east of the CBD. I think the question remains whether the planning folks can convince the politicians that it’d be a waste to build anything else in the interim.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
Long term I think it’s inevitable. The new ”parklands city” will have it’s own equivalent of Moore Park or Parramatta Park immediately to the east of the CBD. I think the question remains whether the planning folks can convince the politicians that it’d be a waste to build anything else in the interim.

It would be a good idea. Considering it will have good transport access (based on the plans published by Sydney rail), corporates, good population base, if would make sense to build one there for the Dogs/Tigers and for other sports.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Probably guessing there’s money for one more

sharks are lucky getting government money for a privately owned ground but good luck to them
Sharks are smart and have clearly done some business to have stadium used for other state based interests.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A govt long term lease agreement with peppercorn rent for sharks to play there would get around the very iffy major investment in a private property issue you’d think. Depends how much they’re putting in I suppose.

Wb1234

Referee
A govt long term lease agreement with peppercorn rent for sharks to play there would get around the very iffy major investment in a private property issue you’d think. Depends how much they’re putting in I suppose.
Federal government gave them a grant before for that new stand Scott Morrison sits in

csnt see the sharks giving them a lease over property they own

wazdog

Juniors
With the Waratahs playing roughly February through to July and Sydney FC October through May there will be weekly content there the majority of the footy season anyways but yes NRL weekly would be great.

I've said to before but reciprocal rights are a MUST IMO between roosters and souths, make the 2 matches every year an event. I would also have Dragons play 4 games there a year and even Manly but I don't think their fans are too keen.

It won't happen though. Ironically the Roosters actually put up a proposal for us to play our home games against the Roosters at the SFS years ago with a revenue sharing agreement but we said no.

The games must be played 8pm Friday night or either time slots on Sunday though.

TheRam

Coach

The 114-year rivalry between rugby league’s fiercest foes has erupted again, this time over the right to use the spanking new $900 million Sydney Football Stadium.

The Sydney Roosters plan to use their high-powered board members and their influential connections to stop South Sydney from playing home games at the new venue when it opens in September.

It includes lobbying the SCG Trust, and taking their case all the way to NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet if necessary, in a dramatic bid to get the State Government to abandon moves to lure Souths to the SFS as co-tenants.

Whatever the result of this spat, the stadium is set for one of the most explosive opening matches when the Roosters and Rabbitohs go at it in a historic Round 25 match on September 2.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained a presentation the SCG Trust sent South Sydney back on August 19, 2020, outlining why the Rabbitohs should consider moving from Accor Stadium, their home since 2005, to the new Moore Park venue.

This, despite the Trust knowing Souths have a contract to play at Accor Stadium until 2030.

The Rabbitohs’ commitment to the Olympic Park precinct was made when the NSW state government planned to fund a redevelopment of Accor Stadium to transform the venue into a permanent rectangular facility.

Now, the Rabbitohs are unhappy at seemingly being left without a new venue in the aftermath of Sydney’s stadium funding battle, and will use it as a way to seek a release from their deal. The Daily Telegraph first reported Souths’ plans for a possible return to the city’s east on June 16 last year.

Privately, the NRL would be keen on Souths returning to the SFS but that won’t happen without a protest from their arch rivals. The SCG Trust will work to try and secure a resolution between the two parties.

Roosters powerbrokers say there is “no way” Souths should be permitted to play at the SFS, claiming it was their club which had provided enormous input into the new stadium and moved games to the Sydney Cricket Ground – and offices into demountables inside the nearby Entertainment Quarter – for four years during construction.

The Roosters argue that their club helped fund a new centre of excellence inside the SFS while Souths have their own high-performance centre being built at Maroubra. The Rabbitohs say the money the Roosters invested was part of a government grant.

“If Souths are allowed back then the Trust and Government will face a massive and relentless nightmare called Nick Politis,” a well-placed source told The Daily Telegraph.

“It would be preposterous if Souths went there. We have invested money, time and intellect into the stadium.”

The Roosters could offer something of an olive branch to their bitter rivals, saying they would be okay with the Rabbitohs playing their home game against them at the venue.

-SCG Trust chairman Tony Shepherd would not be drawn on the pitch to woo Souths, instead saying: “The Rabbitohs are long-term partners at Accor Stadium and have been bringing big events and big crowds to the venue for 17 years.

“They’re a great home team and have built a strong membership base throughout Greater Sydney on the back of the match-day experience at Accor Stadium.”

The Trust’s presentation to Souths, headlined “SCGT and South Sydney”, offers a vision about the advantages of playing at the SFS. It included highlighting its world-class facilities, the Rabbitohs’ history on the site, a map showing the geographical proximity to the club’s sponsors and leagues club, and how other teams have enjoyed substantial increases in crowd figures after moving into more modern facilities.

Roosters chairman Nick Politis is in Greece and was unable to be contacted, while South Sydney CEO Blake Solly preferred not to comment.

When the Roosters put in the $900m to build it, then they can have a say in who can and can't play there. Until then they can go and get f**ked!

TheRam

Coach
I disagree about the hill, there is a fair bit of room to put a stand, but there would be an outcry of greenies sooking about the trees having to be pulled down to accomodate it.

View attachment 61089

It's geographical location is beautiful on the eye but that's where it ends. It's a pain to get to, shit all parking and shit all public transport.

LO - The 8th Blunder Of The World!

Pippen94

First Grade
Long term I think it’s inevitable. The new ”parkland city” will have it’s own equivalent of Moore Park or Parramatta Park immediately to the east of the CBD. I think the question remains whether the planning folks can convince the politicians that it’d be a waste to build anything else in the interim.

Three city plan has already switched to 6 city. These plans are only good for term of government or faction within government

Quidgybo

Bench
Three city plan has already switched to 6 city. These plans are only good for term of government or faction within government
The names change to allow the eternally revolving door of political masters to re-announce from time to time but the broad plan remains the same (that is after all the point of long term planning). There’s still only one 24-hour airport being built in western Sydney and still only one major CBD being built next to it that transport links will gravitate towards. Campbelltown and Penrith will still be at the far edges of a greater metropolis, and Liverpool will be the unlucky suburb that once upon a time could’ve made it big.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Federal government gave them a grant before for that new stand Scott Morrison sits in

csnt see the sharks giving them a lease over property they own
Depends if you’re getting $20mill for some new toilets or a proper rebuild. I doubt they can put in $100mill plus without a lease over the ground. I’d think that level of investment in a privately owned property would be outside rules of a state govt?

Depends if you’re getting $20mill for some new toilets or a proper rebuild. I doubt they can put in $100mill plus without a lease over the ground. I’d think that level of investment in a privately owned property would be outside rules of a state govt?
The seat of Cook isn’t marginal enough for the Libs to funnel that kind of taxpayers‘ money on it anyway.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
The names change to allow the eternally revolving door of political masters to re-announce from time to time but the broad plan remains the same (that is after all the point of long term planning). There’s still only one 24-hour airport being built in western Sydney and still only one major CBD being built next to it that transport links will gravitate towards. Campbelltown and Penrith will still be at the far edges of a greater metropolis, and Liverpool will be the unlucky suburb that once upon a time could’ve made it big.

100%

Wb1234

Referee
Thew State Government wants to bulldoze Penrith Paceway to use the site to build the Panthers’ new $400 million stadium.

The cost would be north of $50 million to purchase the land and assist the trotting club to find and establish a new harness racing venue in the area.

This would allow the Panthers to remain at Blue Bet Stadium while the new venue is under construction over two years.

The problem for the state government and the man behind the project, Minister Stuart Ayres, is justifying a $450 million spend on a suburban ground at the height of a pay dispute with teachers and nurses.

The Penrith stadium will be almost identical in size and the facilities to CommBank Stadium at Parramatta.

The NRL is facing a huge call around the refereeing appointment for the State of Origin series. Gerard Sutton, Ben Cummins and Ashley Klein have shared Origins and grand finals for too long. Grant Atkins is now clearly the best referee in the game, he has a feel for the game and lets the football flow.

More shocking news from NSWRL headquarters …

CEO Dave Trodden has now abandoned plans to take a NSW Cup match between the Rabbitohs and the Raiders to Dubbo on May 22.

The match was supposed to be a curtain raiser and part of a huge double header with the South Sydney and Canberra NRL teams in Round 11 at Apex Oval.

The State Government’s decision to spend $800 million on Brookvale Oval, Shark Park, Leichhardt Oval and Penrith is a victory for fans who love their suburban-ground tribalism.

We have supported this investment from day one.

Over the weekend we had sell outs at both Penrith and Brookie.

However, to justify such a huge outlay, something needs to be done about the old Olympic Stadium at Homebush as well.

Having a major event venue for State of Origin, NRL grand finals and concerts like Ed Sheeran under a roof is what will give the government an economic return for their outlay.

Major events bring tourism dollars into the state, filling hotel rooms, restaurants, taxis etc where suburban grounds won’t.

You don’t fly in from interstate for a game of footy at Leichhardt, Manly, Penrith or Cronulla.

Accor Stadium needs a roof and an upgrade.

You can’t ask fans to pay $300 for a State of Origin or grand final ticket and then get drenched.

Last edited:

ash the bash

Juniors

govt may allow nrl equity in stadiums such as accor and the new sfs to allow a roof on accor

Interesting, if NRL had a choice whether to have a stake in Accor or SFS which would you choose? And why...