What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
This was one suggestion for a cheaper upgrade from a few years ago:

It's basically removing the existing roofs of the stands and building this over the top. Refurbish the seats and facilities while you're at it and they'll call it job done.

I'm anticipating something very similar to this, with an 'entertainment precinct' which will comprise of chain joints like the Bavarian/TGI Fridays/Rashays where they slug you $14 for a beer during the early game, and eventually the light rail to Belconnen running via the precinct with overflow capacity on the trams like they have at the new SFS.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had to play at Viking Park or somewhere similar for a season while they do it as well.

Wb1234

Referee

It's basically removing the existing roofs of the stands and building this over the top. Refurbish the seats and facilities while you're at it and they'll call it job done.

I'm anticipating something very similar to this, with an 'entertainment precinct' which will comprise of chain joints like the Bavarian/TGI Fridays/Rashays where they slug you $14 for a beer during the early game, and eventually the light rail to Belconnen running via the precinct with overflow capacity on the trams like they have at the new SFS.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had to play at Viking Park or somewhere similar for a season while they do it as well.
Very meh

raiders and the arlc should be making an issue of this even if it means going over his head to albanese

Timbo

Staff member
Very meh

raiders and the arlc should be making an issue of this even if it means going over his head to albanese
It’s a self-governing territory. Albanese is not going to override a state ALP leader on an infrastructure issue, especially when that issue is prioritising public transport over a stadium.

Wb1234

Referee
It’s a self-governing territory. Albanese is not going to override a state ALP leader on an infrastructure issue, especially when that issue is prioritising public transport over a stadium.
If the feds chip in some money and want the state to match it sure it would put pressure on him

Timbo

Staff member
If the feds chip in some money and want the state to match it sure it would put pressure on him

Sure it'd put pressure on him, but I think if they said 'we'll chip in $50 million if you do too' that the most likely result of it is the upgrade to Bruce Stadium.

I can't stress this enough - this is not his love of AFL or hatred of league that is getting him to ignore the stadium. It's that he sees the cost of the new stadium and does the maths and realises what it will detract from his passion project in the light rail. He will find money to maintain and upgrade Bruce because the people like having the Raiders and Brumbies around, but 3-500m for a new Civic Stadium is never going to be something Barr goes for, and he's going to be the Chief Minister for as long as he wants.

Valheru

Coach
With a quality 30k enclosed stadium they probably would have nabbed a Harry Styles, Pink, RHCP and Coldplay booking too. Canberra is a transient city with a very young (and well paid) population. I've lived here for three years now and am so shocked at how quiet it seems, but every restaurant etc is always filled with cashed up young people. They will attend a centralised stadium in droves.

I'm in a similar situation to you, been here for nearly 4 years. I dont mind it but also moving back to Sydney next year.

There is certainly a lot of expendable income here though, not as much as Sydney CBD but more than your average Sydney suburban area.

I've been to one raiders game not involving the roosters since mid 2019, I reckon I would have went to a few more if the stadium was in the city.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
With the Warriors back at home and the Moana Pasifika Super rugby team already based there as well as word of an Auckland based A-Leage side, it’s probably time Mt Smart got an upgrade. The last significant upgrade it got was in 2005 when the Eastern Stand was built. I’d assume that that stand is still in pretty good condition and would need minimal upgrades, less sure about the western stand which must be around 40 years old now, though has had maintenance and refurbishment over the decades. One good thing is that both current grandstands are a good size and have decent viewing angles and reasonable driplines, so if they don’t need major structural refurbishment the stadium could be upgraded pretty well by building a permanent south stand that effectively extends the eastern stand to wrap around the south end and create a continuous bowl around 3 sides of the stadium. Because the stadium is regularly used for concerts it would make sense to leave the northern end free and just place a tier of movable temporary seating there that can be shifted to make way for a concert stage. This would also preserve the iconic tunnel from the training field that has become traditional for the Warriors to run onto the field from. That’d effectively up capacity to 35-40k- good enough to give Eden Park competition for anything bar All Blacks tests, but still being as intimate as the current setup.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I'm in a similar situation to you, been here for nearly 4 years. I dont mind it but also moving back to Sydney next year.

There is certainly a lot of expendable income here though, not as much as Sydney CBD but more than your average Sydney suburban area.

I've been to one raiders game not involving the roosters since mid 2019, I reckon I would have went to a few more if the stadium was in the city.
100% agree. If the stadium was in Civic I'd probably scooter ride from Kingston to most of the games. I would have even considered getting a ticketed membership and I reckon 4-5 work mates would too - and only one of us is a Raiders fan.

Brick Tamland

Juniors
100% agree. If the stadium was in Civic I'd probably scooter ride from Kingston to most of the games. I would have even considered getting a ticketed membership and I reckon 4-5 work mates would too - and only one of us is a Raiders fan.
Ditto. I'm in Kingston too, but going to Bruce is a PITA if you're having beers and not driving unless its one of the rare occasions the Dock put on a bus to the game.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Ditto. I'm in Kingston too, but going to Bruce is a PITA if you're having beers and not driving unless its one of the rare occasions the Dock put on a bus to the game.
Yeah it was annoying. I went yesterday and a mate drove - had to park in some random hilly/grassy paddock which was $10 for the privilege haha

beave

Coach
Bruce stadium is similar to what the old DFS/1300's was in Tvl, out in the middle of BF Idaho and nothing to do before and after the game. The clubs persistent push for QCB's placement to be in Tvl's CBD was a masterstroke and has been a game changer. The city is a hive of activity before and after the games, something similar in Canberra would be awesome.

Bruce stadium is such a relic of the past for not only location but design. The seating behind the dead ball lines is about 25m too far back and the rake on the seating on the western lower bowl is too shallow, get someone remotely taller than you in front and it's a pain to see the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Thatd be a big improvement! Location still sht but at least it would give fans some cover. I didnt think the bowl pitch was too bad when I went and I liked the terrace area you could walk around and stand and have a beer and watch the game from. Pull in and extend one end and roof it and Whilst not the ideal a roofed current stadium with a bit more capacity wouldn't be the worse outcome.

Wb1234

Referee
Sure it'd put pressure on him, but I think if they said 'we'll chip in $50 million if you do too' that the most likely result of it is the upgrade to Bruce Stadium.

I can't stress this enough - this is not his love of AFL or hatred of league that is getting him to ignore the stadium. It's that he sees the cost of the new stadium and does the maths and realises what it will detract from his passion project in the light rail. He will find money to maintain and upgrade Bruce because the people like having the Raiders and Brumbies around, but 3-500m for a new Civic Stadium is never going to be something Barr goes for, and he's going to be the Chief Minister for as long as he wants.
the
I thought I read it’s not possible anymore
Thatd be a big improvement! Location still sht but at least it would give fans some cover. I didnt think the bowl pitch was too bad when I went and I liked the terrace area you could walk around and stand and have a beer and watch the game from. Whilst not the ideal a roofed current stadium with a bit more capacity wouldn't be the worse outcome.
lipstick on a pig

and it won’t be cheap lipstick either

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems wasted space around the lake and centre of canberra an innovative and forward thinking Govt could recommision for a stadium. Ive always thought Canberra has massively undersold itself for tourism and sports and concert tourism is now big business for state govts.

Wb1234

Referee
After Sydney gets sorted Canberra needs to be the priority for the nrl

then the gong and Newcastle and the game is set

we should manage to crack 20k which is amazing for rugby league

beave

Coach
Thatd be a big improvement! Location still sht but at least it would give fans some cover. I didnt think the bowl pitch was too bad when I went and I liked the terrace area you could walk around and stand and have a beer and watch the game from. Pull in and extend one end and roof it and Whilst not the ideal a roofed current stadium with a bit more capacity wouldn't be the worse outcome.
Depends which side lower bowl.

The eastern side was revamped in 1998/1999 for the olympics and is a lot better. The western is the older side and much worse in design IMO.

Latest posts