What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Pneuma

First Grade
In your opinion. Many would say a full hill looks way better than a full grandstand, and creates a much better atmosphere. Either way hills are gonna be around for a LONG time in the NRL.

Any new comer to the game would not even notice the crowd or stadium - they would be more interested in what's actually happening on the field. Like most other footy fans.

Stop talking out of your ass and stating it's fact.
Solid response. Won’t shut him up though. He thrives on negativity.

yakstorm

First Grade
The Wests Tigers strategy of getting private equity to help fund works at Leichhardt Oval seem delusional.

PE generally won't invest in anything they can't own a share of & the Tigers don't own anything at LO to sell and the council isn't in a position to sell the land either.

That means the options become, either the PE own something at the venue, like the Grandstand, which maybe the council could lease them, or the PE grants a loan to the WT, which is becomes incredibly risky.

Considering the locals around LO generally want less big games at the venue, are anti any major capital works being done & the venue has a lot of nearby competition for events, I can't see anyone serious investing in the WT plan.

CSS has a lot more upside for investment, based upon location, number of regular tennants, amount of growth in the area, etc, but again I would be surprised if anyone bought.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Standing bays are no better than Hills really
That’s partly a matter of cultural preference though- in much of Europe fans actually prefer standing bays. There are grounds with removable seating to satisfy FIFA requirements where they actually take the seats out for local league games.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Wests Tigers strategy of getting private equity to help fund works at Leichhardt Oval seem delusional.

PE generally won't invest in anything they can't own a share of & the Tigers don't own anything at LO to sell and the council isn't in a position to sell the land either.

That means the options become, either the PE own something at the venue, like the Grandstand, which maybe the council could lease them, or the PE grants a loan to the WT, which is becomes incredibly risky.

Considering the locals around LO generally want less big games at the venue, are anti any major capital works being done & the venue has a lot of nearby competition for events, I can't see anyone serious investing in the WT plan.

CSS has a lot more upside for investment, based upon location, number of regular tennants, amount of growth in the area, etc, but again I would be surprised if anyone bought.
Yeah it’s nuts. Plus Leichhardt in itself in its current configuration actually has heritage value. It should basically be preserved as is with the only upgrades being to keep the existing facilities up to code. If the Tigers want more than that play elsewhere.
I’d say the same for Kogarah, Brookie could go either way though I resale don’t see a case for much more than a no frills single tier stand to replace the hill there.

Suitman

Post Whore
Kenilworth Rd, Luton Town.
Away supporters enter the ground through the two blue gates underneath peoples terrace homes as seen in the bottom right hand of the pic.
To say this ground is unique is an understatement!! Lol.

1685265762080.png

1685265986149.png

1685266018684.png

Anyway, this is what they have planned on an alternative site in town.

1685266200889.png

Iamback

Coach
That’s partly a matter of cultural preference though- in much of Europe fans actually prefer standing bays. There are grounds with removable seating to satisfy FIFA requirements where they actually take the seats out for local league games.

Alot of that is safety. A full hill looks more open then a little tin box are standing in

The Great Dane

First Grade
Kenilworth Rd, Luton Town.
Away supporters enter the ground through the two blue gates underneath peoples terrace homes as seen in the bottom right hand of the pic.
To say this ground is unique is an understatement!! Lol.

View attachment 74838

View attachment 74839

View attachment 74840

Anyway, this is what they have planned on an alternative site in town.

View attachment 74841
I went with a local mate to game at Kenilworth Road to support QPR and sat in the Oak stand in 06.

Getting to a game by walking under somebody's house and through their backyard is a trippy experience. A lot of people like to say that it's the worst ground in England, but I thought it was great. It's a really unique ground, and worth going just for the experience.

Last edited:

King-Gutho94

Coach
I went with a local mate to game at Kenilworth Road to support QPR and sat in the Oak stand in 06.

Getting to a game by walking under somebody's house and through their backyard is a trippy experience. A lot of people like to say that it's the worst ground in England, but I thought it was great. It's a really unique ground, and worth going just for the experience.
My mates from England and those who from Australia who lived in England/London for a few years reckon Luton is a rough as guts town.

They didn't recommend ever going there haha.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Curious, what are everyone’s opinions on the current quality of NRL stadia and which needs upgrades, and which don’t ?

give them ratings of 1-5
5 - good modern stadium, no need for upgrades
4 - pretty good, no need for major works but could maybe do with some modernisation or minor works
3 - Partially ok, could be brought up to 4-5 with the addition of a stand or partial rebuild
2 - not NRL standard but good as a heritage ground with maybe some minor improvements
1 - due for a complete rebuild/replacement

Id say
5- Allianz, AAMI, Bankwest, Gold Coast, QCB, Suncorp
4 - Newcastle, Endeavor (based on when upgrades are finished)
3 - Mt Smart, WIN, Redcliffe
2.5 - Brookvale
2 - Leichhardt, Kogarah
1 - Canberra, Penrith, Campbelltown,

not rating Accor because we know it’s just oversized and not suitable for club footy generally.

Brookie gets a 2.5 as it’s always going to be on the small side but replacing the hill with another stand would get it to a reasonable level.

Thoughts?

Wb1234

Referee

it’s a du
Curious, what are everyone’s opinions on the current quality of NRL stadia and which needs upgrades, and which don’t ?

give them ratings of 1-5
4 - pretty good, no need for major works but could maybe do with some modernisation or minor works
3 - Partially ok, could be brought up to 4-5 with the addition of a stand or partial rebuild
2 - not NRL standard but good as a heritage ground with maybe some minor improvements

Id say
2.5 - Brookvale
2 - Leichhardt, Kogarah

not rating Accor because we know it’s just oversized and not suitable for club footy generally.

Brookie gets a 2.5 as it’s always going to be on the small side but replacing the hill with another stand would get it to a reasonable level.

Thoughts?
canberra and Penrith aren’t that bad

I’d put both ahead of shark park lo and Brookie and kayo

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
it’s a du

canberra and Penrith aren’t that bad

I’d put both ahead of shark park lo and Brookie and kayo
Wasn’t really intending it to be a ranking - hence the scores thing I came up with. More rating them for what should realistically be done with them

Perth Red

Post Whore

give them ratings of 1-5

Id say
2.5 - Brookvale
2 - Leichhardt, Kogarah

Thoughts?
Your rating LO, Kogorah and brookie higher than canberra And penrith? How’s that work?

id rate them
4 -
3 - Mt Smart, WIN, Newcastle (all would benefit from new stands)
2 - canberra, Cronulla, penrith, Redcliffe (replacement or extensive development needed)
1 - Leichhardt, Kogarah, brookvale, Campbelltown, Sunshine Coast (not fit for nrl and should be replaced or not used)

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Your rating LO, Kogorah and brookie higher than canberra And penrith? How’s that work?

id rate them
4 -
3 - Mt Smart, WIN, Newcastle (all would benefit from new stands)
2 - canberra, Cronulla, penrith, Redcliffe
1 - Leichhardt, Kogarah, brookvale, Campbelltown, Sunshine Coast
*1 hbf park and craven park
5 mkm stadium