What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
MCG was half rebuilt without having to move games away, I'm sure they could figure out a way to do something similar for Suncorp.

Maybe. Probably depends what they would have to do with the roof.

I'm no engineer but I think it will be very difficult if not impossible. Level 7 is pretty much held up by the roof and those corner truss structures.

I think a redevelopment would end up being built like Camp Nou rather than Santiago Bernabeu..!

Jamberoo

Juniors
MCG was half rebuilt without having to move games away, I'm sure they could figure out a way to do something similar for Suncorp.
MCG was two stands done separately, with independent roof structures (rebuilt as one) When they rebuilt the Southern Stand in 1991 they relocated the AFL GF.

shewi6

Juniors
Mcg still had the capacity

Suncorp won’t with maybe half the stadium unuseable
Depends what the plans are and when construction starts.
If they are going to extend the upper tiers and rebuild the top of the western stand to match the rest than possibly at least half could stay open to spectators.

A lot of the work could be done in the off season also.
But then the roof would need to be rebuilt if they plan to fill in the corners so it might be better to close it down for construction and play at the gabba.
Hopefully only for one season or less depending on the scope of the project, we will find out monday maybe.

jim_57

Staff member
Depends what the plans are and when construction starts.
If they are going to extend the upper tiers and rebuild the top of the western stand to match the rest than possibly at least half could stay open to spectators.

A lot of the work could be done in the off season also.
But then the roof would need to be rebuilt if they plan to fill in the corners so it might be better to close it down for construction and play at the gabba.
Hopefully only for one season or less depending on the scope of the project, we will find out monday maybe.

If they were to do Suncorp and the Gabba (or new oval) both before the Olympics you’d think they’d want do the oval first. They could then hold Origin & Broncos game at the new/bigger oval while Suncorp is done.

The catch with that is it gives the stadiums = bad & Fitzsimmons types several years to run their “Schools & Hospitals” campaign that they did with the Stadium Australia rebuild.

shewi6

Juniors
Is that still the plan? Whilst not a great at least it would be a huge improvement on 12-13k for a start. Not sure how much bigger than that it can get though.
From memory thats what it will go to, they lost space to the leagues club and the hotel and temporarily to the corporate tent.
Not sure where they squeeze another 4k people in judging by tonights game.

shewi6

Juniors
If they were to do Suncorp and the Gabba (or new oval) both before the Olympics you’d think they’d want do the oval first. They could then hold Origin & Broncos game at the new/bigger oval while Suncorp is done.

The catch with that is it gives the stadiums = bad & Fitzsimmons types several years to run their “Schools & Hospitals” campaign that they did with the Stadium Australia rebuild.
My hope is that the gabba gets nothing more than a fresh coat of paint.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
From memory thats what it will go to, they lost space to the leagues club and the hotel and temporarily to the corporate tent.
Not sure where they squeeze another 4k people in judging by tonights game.

This is what I don't get about this development.

Why couldn't they just have both?

It seems there was plenty of room to expand the Leagues Club / Hotel precinct but not build it right up almost to the bloody sideline. Why create the bane of their own existence and hem themselves in?

They could have had a really decent 20-25k stadium which we would have all been happy with, plus a hotel / leagues club / whatever. But it's almost like they chose to doom themselves to mediocrity.

shewi6

Juniors
This is what I don't get about this development.

Why couldn't they just have both?

It seems there was plenty of room to expand the Leagues Club / Hotel precinct but not build it right up almost to the bloody sideline. Why create the bane of their own existence and hem themselves in?

They could have had a really decent 20-25k stadium which we would have all been happy with, plus a hotel / leagues club / whatever. But it's almost like they chose to doom themselves to mediocrity.
Because at the time they were destitute and the developer pretty much got everything they wanted in exchange for an upfront cash injection to the sharks.

Obviously the apartments and commercial development has a higher ROI than a suburban stadium with one tenant would have.

The best thing to do now is develop the land the stadium is on because there is nothing that could be done to it to bring it up to standard.

shewi6

Juniors
I’d say since it can’t fit an athletics oval they’ll have to do something with it, just not $3b worth of something.
If suncorp gets done and hosts the ceremonies than i don't see a need for the gabba at all.

Any money spent to accommodate an athletics track should be spent to tart up QSAC which currently has a higher capacity and is an actual athletics stadium.
Because outside of the olympics there is no need for big athletics stadiums and it would be a shame to use it as justification for a big money upgrade when it will only really directly benefit afl.

No doubt the gabba will probably get a significant sum of money spent on it though.