What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't see why the Tigers NRL team can't use Allianz and Commbank to ensure maximum income from corporates and have their NSW Cup side use Leichardt and do the beer footy food idea that's been so successful for Norths and Newtown.

There's a niche market at heritage grounds for NSW Cup to capitalise on while the NRL teams move on into modern stadia. It's a win-win
not everyone can afford $50-100 to go to the footy. Local reserve grade games that are a good day out for $15 have a market for sure.

Bukowski

Juniors
Don't see why the Tigers NRL team can't use Allianz and Commbank to ensure maximum income from corporates and have their NSW Cup side use Leichardt and do the beer footy food idea that's been so successful for Norths and Newtown.

There's a niche market at heritage grounds for NSW Cup to capitalise on while the NRL teams move on into modern stadia. It's a win-win
There's no balmain state cup side though. It's the magpies who use Lidcombe quite often..

I suspect that's what Richo and the WT Board want to do, but the board are too reactive to the "we must play first grade at Leichhardt" grouping of fans.

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
So with different levels of government coming together to give Leichhardt Oval millions, I hope that comes with a guarantee of at least half of Wests Tigers home games.

Not a big fan of money going to upgrade grounds that will use those facilities 3 times a year.

Bukowski

Juniors
So with different levels of government coming together to give Leichhardt Oval millions, I hope that comes with a guarantee of at least half of Wests Tigers home games.

Not a big fan of money going to upgrade grounds that will use those facilities 3 times a year.
I'm not sure any of these govts checked with the tigers.

flippikat

Bench
The latest on Auckland - the working group has narrowed the 4 choices down to two options: Eden Park V2.0 (upgrade of Eden Park) or Quay Park (New build).

That recommendation of the best 2 options goes to council on Thursday, and if they agree then both get business cases prepared over next few months... then HOPEFULLY the final choice between the two.

Wb1234

Referee
The latest on Auckland - the working group has narrowed the 4 choices down to two options: Eden Park V2.0 (upgrade of Eden Park) or Quay Park (New build).

That recommendation of the best 2 options goes to council on Thursday, and if they agree then both get business cases prepared over next few months... then HOPEFULLY the final choice between the two.

Lipsitck on a pig option will win

similar to proposed Accor upgrade

Brian potter

Bench

What’s the long-term plan for mount smart and the warriors?

flippikat

Bench
My understanding is that the Warriors have a deal to stay at Mount Smart through to the end of 2028 season currently.

That seems a reasonable time frame to have locked-in, and I imagine when it comes to renegotiation there HOPEFULLY will be clarity on where Auckland's main stadium will be (and what features it'll have), along with what Auckland Council intend on doing with the whole Mount Smart precinct.

"As far as we're concerned, we're staying at Mount Smart" is a fair statement at the moment, because that's the deal they have.

jim_57

Staff member

The Quay Park proposal maybe with a toned down design looks like a winner to me, I get the feeling it will be a touch up of Eden Park though, if anything.

Quay Park has the support of NZ Rugby which is a good sign.

Wb1234

Referee
They have outgrown it

Need to move into this new stadium

temporary stands to expand mt smart in the meantime they can’t keep selling out every game until the new stadium is built

or the one they don’t want to do is play at Eden park in the meantime

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
They have outgrown it

Need to move into this new stadium

temporary stands to expand mt smart in the meantime they can’t keep selling out every game until the new stadium is built

or the one they don’t want to do is play at Eden park in the meantime
Auckland still needs a #2 stadium a notch down in capacity from the main one. Given the fact that it’ll also take 5-10 years to get the new stadium actually built, I think there’s a strong case to upgrade Mt Smart to 30-35K, even if it’s a relatively no frills upgrade with mostly uncovered stands (given that the areas where you’d build extra capacity at Mt Smart are all at the ends, so not premium seating anyway) You could probably get it done for 20-50M.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Lipsitck on a pig option will win

similar to proposed Accor upgrade
The Eden Park 2.0 proposal is a full rebuild so more than lipstick on a pig, BUT it still includes cricket so it’s never going to be perfect for club footy in particular.
I think Quay Park is definitely the go, (and despite being technically downtown it’s basically a waterfront stadium). Just back off on some of the overly fancy architectural stuff in the concept designs and concentrate on getting the fundamentals right. I do really like the idea of keeping the north end open and aligned with the view out to Rangitoto island though, that’s a cool way to make something iconic without it costing millions of extra $.