What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

docbrown

Coach
Sydney Stadium Rationalisation
6 stadiums in Sydney.
4 teams out of SFS, 2 teams out of Liverpool - with reciprocal membership rights for away games there.
Most teams play 11 games at their home stadium in Sydney & around 5 away games elsewhere in Sydney.

Dragons play 7 games at SFS & 8 at Wollongong. Plus 2 away games at Liverpool.
Tigers play 9 games at Liverpool, 7 games at SFS.
Sharks play 8 games at Cronulla, 4 games at SFS & 8 games at Gosford.
5 games leftover for teams to play away (Panthers at Bathurst, Eels at Darwin etc).

1717207912539.png

Wb1234

Referee
Hamilton is similar but has less grandstand space than Mr Smart, it’s in the same ballpark though.

North Harbour?! You’re either taking the piss or have no idea, the stadium has ONE proper grandstand which faces into the prevailing weather and hills on the other three sides, with a bit of concrete terracing covering about 1/3 of the western hill. It’s not even close to as good as Mt Smart.

Here’s the current satellite view, it’s not even Campbelltown class:

View attachment 88906
Mt smart the main stand was built around the old athletics track with little corporate facilities

the new grandstand opposite looks like has poor roof cover and no designated corporate boxes

the temporary stand on the hill is just budget scaffolding and the other hill looks awful

mt smart is a hodge podge of three or four different stands. It has zero wow factor

that one stand at north harbour is perfect

Let’s be real the warriors days at mt smart are numbered it’s a total demolition job

Wb1234

Referee
I will be pissed if EP gets up. They had their chance for the 2011 WC and it was a distaste. It’s a terrible ground. Hopefully Quay Park gets up. Cricket can go to a revamped EP and speedway stays where it is. It seems so simple but the EP Trust will somehow screw this
With its history and Auckland council being tightwads an upgraded Eden park is more likely

wgd

Juniors
Mt smart the main stand was built around the old athletics track with little corporate facilities

the new grandstand opposite looks like has poor roof cover and no designated corporate boxes

the temporary stand on the hill is just budget scaffolding and the other hill looks awful

mt smart is a hodge podge of three or four different stands. It has zero wow factor

that one stand at north harbour is perfect

Let’s be real the warriors days at mt smart are numbered it’s a total demolition job

90% of RL fans from Auckland live in South Auckland relatively close to Mt Smart.

Warriors moving games from Mt Smart to North Habour, would be like the Sharks moving games to Brookvale Oval.

mongoose

Coach
Sydney Stadium Rationalisation
6 stadiums in Sydney.
4 teams out of SFS, 2 teams out of Liverpool - with reciprocal membership rights for away games there.
Most teams play 11 games at their home stadium in Sydney & around 5 away games elsewhere in Sydney.

Dragons play 7 games at SFS & 8 at Wollongong. Plus 2 away games at Liverpool.
Tigers play 9 games at Liverpool, 7 games at SFS.
Sharks play 8 games at Cronulla, 4 games at SFS & 8 games at Gosford.
5 games leftover for teams to play away (Panthers at Bathurst, Eels at Darwin etc).

View attachment 88957
holy f**k Penrith is a long way out... never really noticed

MugaB

Coach
holy f**k Penrith is a long way out... never really noticed
It's a 35 min drive from Parramatta, I know cos I live in north rocks, gamedays it an alright drive, but not in the rain

And if you look at parra, manly and cronulla, they are all the same distance from the city in different directions, the clubs that could be playing at the SFS , are roosters(der) souths, Tigers, Dragons, and possibly dogs but even they could have their own and are closer to accor, but are still close enough geographically

docbrown

Coach
It's a 35 min drive from Parramatta, I know cos I live in north rocks, gamedays it an alright drive, but not in the rain

And if you look at parra, manly and cronulla, they are all the same distance from the city in different directions, the clubs that could be playing at the SFS , are roosters(der) souths, Tigers, Dragons, and possibly dogs but even they could have their own and are closer to accor, but are still close enough geographically
Yeah and it's those reasons that we're never going to get all teams playing out of 2 stadiums like AFL. Sydney is just bad for travel, geographically speaking. But 6 is possible. 6 would mean more funding for all 6.

But yeah SFS - Roosters, Rabbitohs, some Dragons and some Tigers games there. Have Bulldogs as a regular away team at the SFS.

Then a joint Tigers/Bulldogs stadium between their two bases out West.

Then you make sure Western Sydney teams play away at all the Western Sydney stadiums, and the more Eastern clubs play regularly away at the SFS. If we ever have divisions, you'd have a Western Sydney and an Eastern Sydney division.

Western Sydney: 11 Penrith, 11 Parramatta, 18 at Liverpool.
Eastern Sydney: 11 Brookvale, 8 Cronulla, 28 at SFS

You can basically guarantee a game in each half of Sydney every week. A game at the SFS every week and Liverpool/Parramatta everyweek.

You end up with 18 games at Liverpool and 28 games at the SFS. Basically 1 games at each most weeks.

Construct it like that map (and with stadium upgrades) and you're looking at all Sydney teams potentially averaging 20k. Some 25-30k.

Iamback

Coach

Those peanuts who say we should of just played at Parra. Will get a taste next year when our crowd plummet

Diesel

Referee
I haven’t looked at the Eden Park proposal. As I hope it doesn’t get up, but fear it’ll be the easy option. Is the plan for a rectangle stadium, and if so, where is cricket going to be played?

jim_57

Staff member
I haven’t looked at the Eden Park proposal. As I hope it doesn’t get up, but fear it’ll be the easy option. Is the plan for a rectangle stadium, and if so, where is cricket going to be played?

Upgraded East & West stands.
New North stand.
Retractable roof.
Pedestrian Bridge.
60k capacity.

All sounds good, except…

Still used for cricket so still oval or rounded square shape to be more accurate.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Told me what? That’s the same Eden Park 2.0 proposal that’s been doing the rounds for a while. The major problem with it is that it’s a multi-use proposal, everyone knows that.
the question I have about it is will it actually be cheaper than quay park anyway, roofed stadiums are expensive and even more expensive if you make them big enough to hold cricket at. I doubt they’re going to save much money but utilising the existing southern stand, it’s basically 3/4 of a full rebuild that they’re proposing.

Wb1234

Referee
Told me what? That’s the same Eden Park 2.0 proposal that’s been doing the rounds for a while. The major problem with it is that it’s a multi-use proposal, everyone knows that.
the question I have about it is will it actually be cheaper than quay park anyway, roofed stadiums are expensive and even more expensive if you make them big enough to hold cricket at. I doubt they’re going to save much money but utilising the existing southern stand, it’s basically 3/4 of a full rebuild that they’re proposing.
You said it was a whole new build

Jamberoo

Juniors

Upgraded East & West stands.
New North stand.
Retractable roof.
Pedestrian Bridge.
60k capacity.

All sounds good, except…

Still used for cricket so still oval or rounded square shape to be more accurate.
Looks fantastic. Eden Park is the opposite of Australia ‘multi-purpose‘ venues. It is great for rectangular sports and not really suitable for oval sports.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You said it was a whole new build
Honestly I don't think it makes any difference whether it is or not- that's not the problem with it. The problem 100% comes from Eden Park's desire to cater for cricket. Whether they retain the South stand doesnt really affect that. It'll end up like Accor - a good stadium, but one that is too big and far from the action for rectangular codes. And if it was a new build it'd have exactly the same issue.

Jamberoo

Juniors
It is insane that Auckland has no test cricket venue.

What happened to this plan?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It is insane that Auckland has no test cricket venue.

What happened to this plan?
And the solution is staring them right there in the face. Let football go to a new stadium at Quay park, and remodel Eden Park as a dedicated cricket venue.if you kept the south stand replaced the others with embankments and terraces you could easily expand it to a test standard oval with 30k+ capacity. But the EP trust are determined to hold onto cricket AND rugby.

Latest posts