What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

West Australians love to claim that you’re only national if you’re in Perth.

That cuts both ways.

They need to act national with their sporting infrastructure and not half arse it.

The rubber is hitting the road now, the NRL has set a vision for expansion and they have the nose in front. Will they crack the whip out and build a long term stadium that can cater for the long term?

Actions not words.
When they're confronted about this they say it's okay because of Brookvale, Endeavour and Dolphin Oval.

jim_57

Staff member
Assuming best case scenario of 2027 entry for Perth it doesn’t leave a lot of time but a new Western stand might be doable for a 2027 start.

Phase 1: New Western stand with roof, designed to wrap around.
Phase 2: Roof on Southern stand & corners filled in.
Phase 3: New Northern stand & corners with roof.

Ideally all 3 at once, if not possible prioritise the West stand then do the rest in following off-seasons.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Assuming best case scenario of 2027 entry for Perth it doesn’t leave a lot of time but a new Western stand might be doable for a 2027 start.

Ideally all 3 at once, if not possible prioritise the West stand then do the rest in following off-seasons.
I expect a new west stand and that’s probably it until any of the clubs can show they need a bigger stadium. A roof over the south stand would be good though for crappy weather.

jim_57

Staff member
I expect a new west stand and that’s probably it until any of the clubs can show they need a bigger stadium. A roof over the south stand would be good though for crappy weather.

The main thing would be that the Western stand is designed and built to match the Eastern and to link up with the Southern stand including corners and a roof eventually. Hopefully the NRL push for the lot though.

Wb1234

Referee
The main thing would be that the Western stand is designed and built to match the Eastern and to link up with the Southern stand including corners and a roof eventually. Hopefully the NRL push for the lot though.
Cook said he would listen to what the Perth bid team want

Bukowski

Juniors

They'll probably just play out of Optus if its major works.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
WRT to Perth rectangular stadium, hopefully the heritage status of the western stand will be waived.

It can only exist due to WAFL heritage, and they make look to have heritage status maintained to obstruct RL, ala AFL with Stadium Australia..

But if they're serious about a rectangular stadium, it can't stay.

I suspect any new (western) stadium will be stand-alone with the possibility to curve into the south stand at a later date. The corner into the north stand cant fit and will likely remain a gap for the big screen.

They will likely cannibalize the western car park too.

I also suspect it will likely be design like the western stand at Parramatta, i.e. wall-to-wall corporate facilities

Perth Red

Post Whore
WRT to Perth rectangular stadium, hopefully the heritage status of the western stand will be waived.

It can only exist due to WAFL heritage, and they make look to have heritage status maintained to obstruct RL, ala AFL with Stadium Australia..

But if they're serious about a rectangular stadium, it can't stay.

I suspect any new (western) stadium will be stand-alone with the possibility to curve into the south stand at a later date. The corner into the north stand cant fit and will likely remain a gap for the big screen.

They will likely cannibalize the western car park too.

I also suspect it will likely be design like the western stand at Parramatta, i.e. wall-to-wall corporate facilities
Once again the stand doesnt have heritage status in its own right, the site does. It has nothing to do with AFL. They have already talked about replacing it once back in 2011 when the clubs wanted a corporate stand and the govt wanted a stand for the fans. It won’t be an issue.

the stand at parra would be perfect. Premium Members seats and concourse at lower tier and boxes, media, coaches etc above. Same as the plans for penrith.

Kurt Angle

First Grade

Wb1234

Referee
Well we could take your view, but I think many of us have concluded you wake up each morning and say to yourself "how am I going to be wrong today?"

Yes, it's Loton Park which is listed as a whole. It is deemed what elements are "significant". The gates are deemed as significant as the stand.

From the actual state register:

View attachment 90349
Yep the article quoted above literally states the stand itself is heritage listed

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well we could take your view, but I think many of us have concluded you wake up each morning and say to yourself "how am I going to be wrong today?"

Yes, it's Loton Park which is listed as a whole. It is deemed what elements are "significant". The gates are deemed as significant as the stand.

From the actual state register:

View attachment 90349
Thanks for confirming my point! It’s in an overall listing as having significance. no problem pulling it down, it won’t get any opposition and will get lots of support.