What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Sort of sums up the mentality of soccer. Instead of working with us to get a great outcome for rectangular sports around the country for A League and the national teams, they whinge and want their own venues built.
I once saw a dumbarse soccer fan whinging about the northern and southern stands at Lang Park not being built to the specifications of a soccer pitch. These wankers expect everything to be based around their game, despite being a niche sport in this country.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I once saw a dumbarse soccer fan whinging about the northern and southern stands at Lang Park not being built to the specifications of a soccer pitch. These wankers expect everything to be based around their game, despite being a niche sport in this country.
Yep, they need to come to terms with the fact that the NRL is going to be the driver of quality rectangular venues in any city in Australia moving forward because NRL has the clout and can pay the bills at these venues.

Take Adelaide for example, it will only ever get a quality 25 / 30k modern rectangular venue if / when they have an NRL team. Soccer just doesn't have the muscle.

Now if they just accept that fact and work with us, they could benefit AFL / cricket style.

Yep, they need to come to terms with the fact that the NRL is going to be the driver of quality rectangular venues in any city in Australia moving forward because NRL has the clout and can pay the bills at these venues.

Take Adelaide for example, it will only ever get a quality 25 / 30k modern rectangular venue if / when they have an NRL team. Soccer just doesn't have the muscle.

Now if they just accept that fact and work with us, they could benefit AFL / cricket style.
Most soccer fans on the internet are dumb bratty kids with an entitlement complex.

jim_57

Staff member
Ballymore is good enough for super rugby and a league crowds

If they have money to throw on smaller stadiums then kayo park at 20k all seater is the one that should get it

Brisbane roar used to play games there too.

With the money they’re likely going to pump in to Suncorp they won’t want to lose more Suncorp games from the Dolphins who are the 2nd highest drawing tenant.

Brisbane could do with a 20-25k rectangular stadium though, mainly for Reds & Roar but RL could get some use out of it as well. I doubt it will be Redcliffe though, somewhere more central when/if it happens.

Wb1234

Referee
With the money they’re likely going to pump in to Suncorp they won’t want to lose more Suncorp games from the Dolphins who are the 2nd highest drawing tenant.

Brisbane could do with a 20-25k rectangular stadium though, mainly for Reds & Roar but RL could get some use out of it as well. I doubt it will be Redcliffe though, somewhere more central when/if it happens.
Building a small rectangular stadium for sports with declining crowds is a waste of money

even 20k is too big for the roar or reds and pretty much useless for the broncos of dolphins

reds and roar used to be happy with Suncorp when their crowds were decent

jim_57

Staff member
Building a small rectangular stadium for sports with declining crowds is a waste of money

even 20k is too big for the roar or reds and pretty much useless for the broncos of dolphins

Unlikely to happen until after the Olympics now I’d say anyway. With all the money being thrown around I doubt they’ll find another $300-400m for it.

Main benefit would be freeing up Suncorp for more big events, I believe there is or used to be a cap on how many events Suncorp can host in a year.

Edit: Just searched quickly I found this.
Currently, Suncorp Stadium can host 24 “major sport events” a year, defined as those which drew a crowd of 35,000 or above.
So maybe not a cap on total events just large events. They’ll go close to that this year you’d think.
- 12x Broncos games (Fair chance)
- Dolphins V Broncos
- 3x Magic Days
- Origin 3

That could be 17 of the 24 used by NRL, then whatever Broncos/Dolphins finals games.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Unlikely to happen until after the Olympics now I’d say anyway. With all the money being thrown around I doubt they’ll find another $300-400m for it.

Main benefit would be freeing up Suncorp for more big events, I believe there is or used to be a cap on how many events Suncorp can host in a year.
Pvl needs to get on the front foot and ensure most of the stadium money goes towards Suncorp

it’s a big issue for rugby league I hope he’s not asleep at the wheel

Perth Red

Post Whore

depends on how the Dolphins go in lessor drawing games. 17k in a 65k stadium is going to be shthouse for them and 10k is way too small. In an ideal world Redcliffe would be upgraded to 20-25k and Brisbane 3 would have a 20-25kk at Ipswich with lower drawing games at those stadiums and the big games at Suncorp.

Latest posts