What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Jamberoo

Juniors
What a way to support GWS playing 1- 2hrs away from the heartland and right in the middle of the territory of their detested rivals.
Do the AFL know what a farce the GWS are?
The AFL has no clue. Because the Swans are doing so well, they assumed that they could just plonk a second team anywhere in Sydney and that it would take off. It clearly hasn’t and it most probably won’t. Crowds are 25% of the AFL average. It would be like Storm pulling 5k to matches.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The AFL has no clue. Because the Swans are doing so well, they assumed that they could just plonk a second team anywhere in Sydney and that it would take off. It clearly hasn’t and it most probably won’t. Crowds are 25% of the AFL average. It would be like Storm pulling 5k to matches.
Really GWS are the pseudo Canberra side, they probably get better crowds down there than at the Showground but i'm not going to check crowd figures because i don't give a sh*t about GWS. Think they play 4 games in Canberra a season so they may as well be called the Greater Western Sydney / Canberra Gnats.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Really GWS are the pseudo Canberra side, they probably get better crowds down there than at the Showground but i'm not going to check crowd figures because i don't give a sh*t about GWS. Think they play 4 games in Canberra a season so they may as well be called the Greater Western Sydney / Canberra Gnats.
Yep 10-11k average in Sydney
12k in Canberra

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yep 10-11k average in Sydney
12k in Canberra
That's really quite a damning statistic really when you consider the Canberra venue only has a capacity of just over 13,000 and the Showground is about 22-23, 000 capacity and the only time it would reach above 20,000 there is if the they were playing the Swans. I reckon the Sydney figures would be highly inflated also.

Suitman

Post Whore

The AFL badly misread western Sydney, such is their arrogance.
They just thought they could walk in, throw minimal amounts of money at every sporting facility that they could, and then think they would be the premier western Sydney sport. They clearly could not read that western Sydney was already RL and Football heartland and that anyone in Sydney who already followed AFL were already Swans supporters who were unlikely to change allegiances. There has been a VERY small conversion of fans or new fans who have taken GWS on board.
The only time that GWS get a half reasonable attendance (above 10 000) is when they play a big Melbourne club and that is only because most of the attendance is made up by away fans from Melbourne.
GWS is a joke, more so considering all the advantages they have been given with the salary cap and that stupid thing called the draft which has so often forced the best young players to move there.
GWS has been given every advantage possible, yet still have f**k all fans.
I'm loving seeing these 10's of millions of $$$ being pissed down the drain by the AFL.

They just thought they could walk in, throw minimal amounts of money at every sporting facility that they could, and then think they would be the premier western Sydney sport. They clearly could not read that western Sydney was already RL and Football heartland and that anyone in Sydney who already followed AFL were already Swans supporters who were unlikely to change allegiances. There has been a VERY small conversion of fans or new fans who have taken GWS on board.
The only time that GWS get a half reasonable attendance (above 10 000) is when they play a big Melbourne club and that is only because most of the attendance is made up by away fans from Melbourne.
GWS is a joke, more so considering all the advantages they have been given with the salary cap and that stupid thing called the draft which has so often forced the best young players to move there.
I'm loving seeing these 10's of millions of $$$ being pissed down the drain by the AFL.

I know its off topic, but you only had to look at the marketing of the first Swans v Giants match being billed as the Battle of the Bridge with the bridge in question being the Anzac Bridge, implying western Sydney was from the other side of the bridge (i.e. Glebe) and outwards as being Sydney's western suburbs. I mean people who live in place like Leichhardt, Lilyfield, Glebe, Stanmore, Ashfield, Haberfield, Burwood (to name a few) don't consider themselves the western suburbs these days (I know as I grew up in and around Ashfield).

But we digress giving oxygen to that sport......

Vlad59

Bench
And their clubs in the Penrith region are shrinking while league is growing exponentially. Arrogant morons.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They mistook Superleague giving them a massive leg up in Brisbane and Sydney for them being tactical and strategical geniuses. That hubris then led them to adding GC and GWS and the truth was brutally laid bare for them.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Why would you pay to upgrade something you do not own? If you rent, you can't change any fixtures or fittings without the owners approval, and if you do, they get the long term benefit as you can't take it with you when your lease ends.
Because it works.

Offering chump change like this greases the political wheels and has resulted in the AFL almost always getting the upgrades it wants.

Besides, the private and public sector splitting costs on shared infrastructure is a win/win for everyone. I mean would you prefer it if the taxpayer was picking up the whole bill?

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
That's really quite a damning statistic really when you consider the Canberra venue only has a capacity of just over 13,000 and the Showground is about 22-23, 000 capacity and the only time it would reach above 20,000 there is if the they were playing the Swans. I reckon the Sydney figures would be highly inflated also.
many of the Canberra crowd would probably be supporting the away team too

Vlad59

Bench

You can imagine the brawl this will lead to with greenies and other conservation and heritage minded people. Meanwhile the afl lost their battle to have the COE plonked in the middle of the city and are now demanding it be placed in the middle of Clarence thus killing off our parklands. Building it will cause traffic chaos and it’s very unpopular. Council has been forced by locals into a formal referendum on the matter. Long way to go with this one folks.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

You can imagine the brawl this will lead to with greenies and other conservation and heritage minded people. Meanwhile the afl lost their battle to have the COE plonked in the middle of the city and are now demanding it be placed in the middle of Clarence thus killing off our parklands. Building it will cause traffic chaos and it’s very unpopular. Council has been forced by locals into a formal referendum on the matter. Long way to go with this one folks.
Another case of Victorians pushing their AFL desires onto other cities. Yes, of course Tasmania loves AFL, but this is clearly something different being pushed from AFL execs in Melbourne

Another case of Victorians pushing their AFL desires onto other cities. Yes, of course Tasmania loves AFL, but this is clearly something different being pushed from AFL execs in Melbourne

A bit like V'landys and the Sydney RL media pushing the Bears on Perth. I hate to say it, but NSWRL fans are just as narrow-minded and selfish as their VFL counterparts.