What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

RedVee

First Grade
its actually closer to the sideline then row 1 of the grandstand

roof now overhangs the concourse area at WIN. Though, I reckon the first 2 rows of concourse would still get a bit wet depending on prevailing wind.
The stand area proper seem to start further back from the sideline than before, the concourse extends further back to ~ where the stand used to start.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We have been discussing with the WARL about having an area for the Red Army, maybe they'll let us have the BBQ!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thats Perth for you! I think it is more like the Newcastle stand to be fair with a capacity of around 14,000 and 56 corporate boxes in it.

I think stage 1 also includes upgrades to lighting, large screen TV's, some infrastructure work aroundthe ground to build a bus terminal and hopefully pitch drainage!

BDGS

Bench
Thats Perth for you! I think it is more like the Newcastle stand to be fair with a capacity of around 14,000 and 56 corporate boxes in it.

I think stage 1 also includes upgrades to lighting, large screen TV's, some infrastructure work aroundthe ground to build a bus terminal and hopefully pitch drainage!

Well that's quite a bit more then what Wollongong had done to it.

Goddo

Bench
Space and height restrictions were issues at WIN stadium.

Since this is a "future stadiums" thread, I wonder what will be done in 20-30 years time when Suncorp is falling appart?

The site is too small to build a bigger stadium on, and it would disrupt any tenants. I'd be betting Brisbanes next big stadium will be on a different site, QEII maybe?

What would then happen to Suncorp?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is there any artists impressions floating around for the Perth upgrade? Cheers

This was from a while ago but funnily it is probably now going to look something like this after Stage 1 is finished. Tenders are called for in a couple of months so hopefully work begins early to mid next year and just about ready for the Reds kick off in March 2014!

images

Tucky

Juniors
Space and height restrictions were issues at WIN stadium.

Since this is a "future stadiums" thread, I wonder what will be done in 20-30 years time when Suncorp is falling appart?

The site is too small to build a bigger stadium on, and it would disrupt any tenants. I'd be betting Brisbanes next big stadium will be on a different site, QEII maybe?

What would then happen to Suncorp?

QEII was/is one of the worst places to watch league. Too far away from the action with the configuration it has as an athletics venue. Infrastructure/transport around QEII isn't that flash either.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think he means demolishing QE11 and using the land for a new Brisbane state stadium. Hopefully 70-80k capacity with a 35k capacity on the site of Suncorp for the Bombers!

smithie

Juniors
QEII was/is one of the worst places to watch league. Too far away from the action with the configuration it has as an athletics venue. Infrastructure/transport around QEII isn't that flash either.

Agreed. QEII was terrible for league. The biggest problem is no rail. Buses only is simply not good enough for any modern stadium. Ultimately I think Suncorp's successor will be an 80,000 plus mega-stadium and will probably be built out west, but that is at least a generation away.

A QEII redevelopment may be possible but it would heavily depend on the cross river rail project getting up again and be extended that far south.

Last edited:
This was from a while ago but funnily it is probably now going to look something like this after Stage 1 is finished. Tenders are called for in a couple of months so hopefully work begins early to mid next year and just about ready for the Reds kick off in March 2014!

images

Certainly looks a lot like Newcastle. Will be a great facility

Goddo

Bench
Just going over where we are at, the state of the NRL stadiums is:

* ANZ Stadium - 83,500
* Suncorp Stadium - 52,500
* SFS - 45,500
* Ausgrid Stadium - 33,000
* AAMI Park - 30,050
* Skilled Park - 27,400
* Canberra Stadium - 26,000 - likely to be refurbished or a rebuild, but ACT Gov haven't determined what they will do. 27-30k?
* Dairy Farmers - 25,000 - likely to be replaced by new aprox. 27,000 stadium just to the south of the mall
* WIN Stadium - 23,150
* Centrebet Stadium - 22,000
* WIN Jubilee Oval - 22,000
* Brookvale Oval - suposedly 22,000 - absolute mess with council wanting an even smaller ground
* Toyota Stadium - 22,000 - major retail/residential development, possibly a refurbishment of the stadium?
*Parramatta Stadium - 21,475 - club wants to redevelop one end of the ground taking capacity to around 25,000. Funding/aproval not secured
*Leichhardt Oval - 21,000
*Campbelltown Stadium - 21,000

To stadiums that might also be used with expansion:

*New Springfield Stadium - 27,000 (aprox) proposed ground with Qld Gov funding aproval. To be finished around 2018, conditional on Western Corridor Bid.

*New Rockhampton Stadium - 27,000 (aprox) proposed ground with Qld Gov funding aproval. Not sure when it will be finished, conditional on Central Queensland bid.

*ME Stadium - 20,500 - to be redeveloped to 25,000 by 2013/14, possibly as much as 27,000 regardless of Perth NRL bid

*Bluetongue Stadium - 20,059 - possible redevelopment of Northern end if Bears admitted, somewhere around 22,000-23,000

*North Sydney Oval - 20,000

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
just a point of reference, perth's stadium is now called nib, not ME and has a current capacity of 21,700.

counterpuncher

Juniors
*Bluetongue Stadium - 20,059 - possible redevelopment of Northern end if Bears admitted, somewhere around 22,000-23,000

I realise that palm trees and water views are aesthetically pleasing & fairly unique for a top level ground, but is there any other reason that the southern end of Bluetongue is undeveloped?
I know the road is also quite close to that end, but I was thinking something along the lines of a mini stand in the style of the Shark Park southern end or a low terrace like the Nth end of WIN Jubilee would suit it quite well in limited space.

It just seems extremely counter-productive not to utilize all four sides of a football ground for fans. Apologies if this has been covered before & reasons have been given

smithie

Juniors
Just going over where we are at, the state of the NRL stadiums is:

To stadiums that might also be used with expansion:

*New Springfield Stadium - 27,000 (aprox) proposed ground with Qld Gov funding aproval. To be finished around 2018, conditional on Western Corridor Bid.

I thought the possible Springfield Stadium was "on the agenda but realistically it is 10 years away.", according to the Western Corridor Bid chairman.

This is one major reason why I support the Brisbane II bid over the Western Corridor bid. Brisbane II doesn't need a new stadium.

seanoff

Juniors
I realise that palm trees and water views are aesthetically pleasing & fairly unique for a top level ground, but is there any other reason that the southern end of Bluetongue is undeveloped?
I know the road is also quite close to that end, but I was thinking something along the lines of a mini stand in the style of the Shark Park southern end or a low terrace like the Nth end of WIN Jubilee would suit it quite well in limited space.

It just seems extremely counter-productive not to utilize all four sides of a football ground for fans. Apologies if this has been covered before & reasons have been given

the six lanes of road might be expensive to move. but that's just my theory.

Latest posts