What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

beave

Coach
This is probably the pic out of the whole cowboys proposal that people will want to see in regards to the new CBD stadium

stadium-1.png

I'm still unsure about it all. As I have said previously, if stadiums QLD want to run it and charge us $300k a game then Lancini can shove it. In the bid it goes on about how major works has to be done to DFS in the next few years, this could be the major selling point I guess. A lot of the proposal is very much fluff though. Going by the pic as well, the stadium runs E-W instead of the standard N-S. This is fine when we are playing at night but if we ever get day finals up here, well it may become a hassle.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
And another pic with some of the details on the side bar.

cbd.png

If this does go ahead, they need to have little things in the stadium that make it our own. I like the logo on the outside of the stadium, but maybe a set of six shooters inside the stadium that 'go off' whenever we score, or a big bulls head that smoke billows out of the nostrils, things that will really set it apart from the GC's Skilled Stadium.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Going by the pic as well, the stadium runs E-W instead of the standard N-S. This is fine when we are playing at night but if we ever get day finals up here, well it may become a hassle.

Is there a reason they are doing that? It looks like there's plenty of room to run it N-S from the pic.

Also fully agree about personalisin the stadium. Assume the seats will be navy and white/gold?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Do any other stadiums run E-W? Last I can think of that did was the old Sydney Showground.

I think the Cows deserve a new stadium but was hoping for something a little more unique then the Skilled Stadium copy.

beave

Coach
Yeah, as I said earlier I hope they do something that really makes it our own if they do decide to copy the skilled model along with the additional 3k seats. In the proposal it talks about how the fact DFS has no roofs over any of the stands, which results in damage to the plastic seats which is something I hadn't really thought of. I guess if you have to replace a few thousand seats every year it would add up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
One day I'd love to see the NRL own SFS and build a decent 40k stadium out West somewhere/ AFL has shown with its stadium models and ownership that it is viable for clubs and the code to do this sort of thing.

docbrown

Coach
One day I'd love to see the NRL own SFS and build a decent 40k stadium out West somewhere/ AFL has shown with its stadium models and ownership that it is viable for clubs and the code to do this sort of thing.

If they have the long term vision... :cool:

beave

Coach
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2011/08/27/261391_news.html
stadium-wide.jpg

A CONCEPT plan for Townsville's new inner-city $185 million sporting stadium has been revealed for the first time.

The North Queensland Toyota Cowboys have launched a bold bid to construct a football stadium in the city heart to replace the dilapidated Dairy Farmers Stadium.

The concept plan identifies a 17.28ha parcel of land bounded by Saunders St, and currently owned by QR National, as the ideal site for a new international standard stadium.

The 30,000 seat stadium would include 100 open-air corporate boxes and 25 enclosed corporate suites.

Two 450-seat function rooms and 24 permanent food and beverage outlets are included in the plan.

The ground would also include two 60 sqm video replay screens, four radio broadcast booths, two television commentary booths, a TV presentation suite and a press conference room and media lounge.

The concept plan, which has been delivered to the State Government, indicates it would cost $185 million to bring Dairy Farmers Stadium up to standard.

Master planning and analysis of Dairy Farmers conducted as part of the 2022 FIFA World Cup Bid suggested a total redevelopment of the site and outlined key issues including the growth rate of the surrounding suburbs and incompatibility of hosting major events in an expanding residential centre, with limited public transport access.

The grassed hill area, while noted as a point of difference to other Queensland venues, was said to be increasingly unpopular with many hiring companies preferring a full seated venue.

Major disruption to hirers during construction resulting in falls in revenue was also noted as a hindrance to redevelopment.

The city site was deemed superior in terms of its location and accessibility and would be delivered at a similar cost to redevelopment of Dairy Farmers, which was originally converted from a horse track to meet minimal NRL requirements in 1995.

The bid book makes numerous references to Premier Anna Bligh's vision of Townsville as the "state's second capital - a rival for Brisbane in terms of economic, cultural and social opportunities". While the State Government has reacted optimistically to the plan, key ministers said securing the land from QR would present the biggest hurdle.

However, the plan states that relocating the existing rail yards to Stuart was consistent with the principles outlined in the Townsville Port Authority Master Plan 2010-2040.

Cowboys management yesterday spoke for the first time about the well-guarded plan for the new sporting facility.

Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini said relocating the home ground to the inner-city would not only benefit the club, but the city as a whole.

"Nationally and internationally, if you look at the statistics on new stadiums built close to cities (it) helps the revitalisation of cities," he said. "It certainly helps the valuation of properties around the stadium and helps the establishment of other reciprocal business, such as restaurants, hotels and the many users that would surround an entertainment facility."

Mr Lancini said when the Brisbane Broncos moved to Suncorp Stadium, "membership and attendance basically doubled overnight".

"If you look at most major cities a stadium is an entertainment venue and most cities have a stadium close to the city," he said.

"As far as Dairy Farmers Stadium, it's been a facility that's been good for us for many years.

"But we are a national sporting club and unfortunately we have to compete for our corporate sponsors, major sponsors and the people who our attend our venue.

"It's very difficult for us to compete, particularly with the corporate market, where competitors have facilities that are far superior to ours.

"For Townsville this venue will be a great entertainment venue for concerts and other sporting events that could be brought to the city.

"This facility would be fantastic for our city, particularly if the Gold Coast is successful with their Commonwealth Games bid for 2018.

"If we've got a facility like this it obviously enables a lot of those teams to be able to be based here for pre-games training."

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I like these new stadiums that are purposely built for NRL.

I hope we see a new one in Sydney in the future.

Latest posts