What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Dogs Of War

Coach
The NRL would have rocks in its head not to get a good deal with Allianz to play a Friday night and Sunday afternoon blockbuster event games every week at Allianz if that goes ahead. Frick anz off and start controlling the fixture list to put big blockbuster events on with loads of stuff for fans pre and post game. You could schedule two decent Sydney derbies every week there.

ANZ is in much better location than Allianz. Prefer they put on a roof on ANZ and brought the ends in. This whole SCGT proposal sounds like a way to pour more money into the SCG than fix up Allianz. Just trying to draw in money that would go towards Rugby League stadiums. Union/League/Soccer need to get together and ensure that they get the majority of funding into stadiums that they will use, and not see it siphoned off to cricket/AFL grounds.

ANZ is in much better location than Allianz. Prefer they put on a roof on ANZ and brought the ends in. This whole SCGT proposal sounds like a way to pour more money into the SCG than fix up Allianz. Just trying to draw in money that would go towards Rugby League stadiums. Union/League/Soccer need to get together and ensure that they get the majority of funding into stadiums that they will use, and not see it siphoned off to cricket/AFL grounds.

Allianz hosts 13 NRL games a year, whilst ANZ hosts 27 NRL games, plus SOO, Plus the GF. IMO it's pretty obvious which ground the NRL would get more benefit from having a roof.

But, but, but it has no atmosphere. :sarcasm:

oikee

Juniors
Allianz is rectangular.

Yes, and as i said in my post, the real codes to benefit from Allianz upgrade will be soccer and rugby union.
The only league team in this area that use this stadium is the Roosters.
So 4-5 rugby league teams in Sydney west that have huge crowds will again be screwed over just so the f**kin roosters can enjoy a 45 thousand white elephant they never f**kin fill anyhows.
Gee this code is lame.
Look, build a f**kin 55 thousand mega stadium out West, so the Dogs army, the Parramatta troopers, the f**king Tigers and the Penrith and Wanderers can all enjoy massive growth instead of just laying over like lapdogs for Rugby and Soccer for Allianz upgrade and another f**kin fortune spent on the AFL ground at SCG.

Gee this pisses me off. Bigtime.

LineBall

Juniors
If Kogarah became untenable, it rather see teh Dragons move to the SFS rather than ANZ...

Dragons would be a good fit. Cronulla too? Perhaps Souths should play a home game there every year since it's closer to their original home ground.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reality is teams are playing out of ANZ rather than Allianz as they get a better deal, nothing to do with fan comfort, ease of access for fans, atmosphere or fan preference. Ideally the two main stadium strategy would be a new 50k stadium in Sydneys West for Dogs, Eels, tigers and Wanderers and a redeveloped Allianz for Dragons, Souths , Roosters, SFC and Waratards.

Manly, Penrith and Cronulla are screwed due to their geographic isolation so will have to keep playing out of their existing grounds and hope they can keep pace.

RWB

Bench
The SFS is in need of some funding for an upgrade. I don't know how long the game can expect to let the best rectangular stadium in NSW continue to deteriorate before it finally gets some money pumped into it.

The fact that not one public dollar has been spent upgrading the SFS since 1988 is surely reason enough.

- New infrastructure like the lightrail & the footbridge are already going to make for easier access to the ground.

- Improved seating & corporate areas along with the roof gives increased comfort and takes the weather out of the equation to an extent is only going to boost corwds.

- Improved technology is where we need to be at in this current day and age. People like to watch the game with a screen in front of them. Allowing them to get a strong WiFi connection to post on social media/get game stats/game replays etc etc is a huge step in winning the battle over people choosing to stay in the comfort of their own homes.

- Improved shops & ability to order from your seat. Another little win in the battle against people staying in the comfort of their own homes

- A new plaza to be built, improves pre-game and post-game experiences.

This is what they want done by 2020, it'd be shame if we're still having this discussion IN 2020. The SFS whilst a great stadium, is unfortunately dating fast.

What's the point from a nrl perspective considering roosters supporters don't show up there in the first place. I doubt these upgrades will see a boost from existing rooster fans, if there out there. There not there in a post premiership win, why would they come out of the woodwork if these upgrades happen.

RWB

Bench
What's the point from a nrl perspective considering roosters supporters don't show up there in the first place. I doubt these upgrades will see a boost from existing rooster fans, if there out there. There not there in a post premiership win, why would they come out of the woodwork if these upgrades happen.

Do you post more about the Roosters on here than you do the Cowboys?

Genuine question. Your obsession with us is a little disturbing.

Diesel

Referee
Any idea how long it'd take to upgrade or put a roof on? I'd assume when the roof is under construction there would be no footy played there for a while

bobmar28

Bench
Yes, and as i said in my post, the real codes to benefit from Allianz upgrade will be soccer and rugby union.
So 4-5 rugby league teams in Sydney west that have huge crowds will again be screwed over just so the f**kin roosters can enjoy a 45 thousand white elephant they never f**kin fill anyhows.
Gee this code is lame.
Look, build a f**kin 55 thousand mega stadium out West, so the Dogs army, the Parramatta troopers, the f**king Tigers and the Penrith and Wanderers can all enjoy massive growth instead of just laying over like lapdogs for Rugby and Soccer for Allianz upgrade and another f**kin fortune spent on the AFL ground at SCG.

In Blacktown or Liverpool. 40k is big enough.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Reality is teams are playing out of ANZ rather than Allianz as they get a better deal, nothing to do with fan comfort, ease of access for fans, atmosphere or fan preference. Ideally the two main stadium strategy would be a new 50k stadium in Sydneys West for Dogs, Eels, tigers and Wanderers and a redeveloped Allianz for Dragons, Souths , Roosters, SFC and Waratards.

Manly, Penrith and Cronulla are screwed due to their geographic isolation so will have to keep playing out of their existing grounds and hope they can keep pace.

Not totally true...

Panthers could play out of a Blacktown stadium and still claim it is within their current area.

newman

First Grade
Gee this code is lame.

Anything that pisses you off has to be good.

Timbo

Staff member
I think 30,000 would be big enough as a home ground in the West. Finals and such can be played at ANZ.

oikee

Juniors
What they need to do is find a ideal spot to put a new stadium so Penrith, Parra, Tigers Bulldogs and Wanderers, all have a close connection to a new stadium. The reason it has to be new is so nobody can lay claim to the new stadium. As for size, it has to be 50 thousand to allow for massive growth.
No good building a 30 or 40 thousand stadium only to find out you need to shift every second game because the crowd is too big that week because of a derby or top of the table clash with a outside Sydney team.

It must also be on or near the train line to Badderleys new airport so away fans can go direct to stadium and then back onto a plane and get the f**k outta Sydney.

newman

First Grade
What they need to do is find a ideal spot to put a new stadium so Penrith, Parra, Tigers Bulldogs and Wanderers, all have a close connection to a new stadium. The reason it has to be new is so nobody can lay claim to the new stadium. As for size, it has to be 50 thousand to allow for massive growth.
No good building a 30 or 40 thousand stadium only to find out you need to shift every second game because the crowd is too big that week because of a derby or top of the table clash with a outside Sydney team.

It must also be on or near the train line to Badderleys new airport so away fans can go direct to stadium and then back onto a plane and get the f**k outta Sydney.

Yeah mate! What a champion you are! WHOOOOOOOO! Go the Bronx!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I still say Blacktown is the best bet here....

Close enough to Panthers and Eels now, Tigers probably have support either in the area or willing to head that way, Wanderers have already said theyd be interestedin Blacktown. (Dogs can stay at ANZ)

As for the capacity, they basically need to figure out the minumum capacity at ewhich ANZ stops being shit (probably 40,000ish).

Perth Red

Post Whore
How far is blacktown from Penrith? They struggle to get fans to a ground near by, will they attract anyone if they have to travel?

I'd say 35k would be sufficient t for the next 30 years. How many games attract a 30k plus crowd in Sydney? Anz could still be used for the handful of 40k plus gams but I'd rather see lock outs every now and again than 60k empty seats every week

Something between aami park and city of Manchester stadium would be perfect.

Interestingly the wa govt stadium taskforce recommended a 35k stadium for Perth

http://www.dsr.wa.gov.au//assets/fi...Stadium and the City Vol 2 Appendices B 2.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts