What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

cleary89

Coach
The view isn't great at Eden park. Fairly far away from the action. Would be pretty good venue to watch cricket at though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It costs far more to host a game at eden park than mt smart - there are lots of compliance issues and a very vocal residents group.
Mt Smart is cheaper to run and the warriors make money from signage and corporate boxes, with their current deal they do not at Eden Park.
Break even at Mt Smart is 8 -10k, Eden Park 18-20k.

Cheers I figured it was to do with hire costs, shame as it is a far more professional look for the Warriors, has much better corporate facilities and would probably make growing the Warriors crowds to 20k plus which they should be getting easier.

oikee

Juniors
The weather predictions and actual weather on the day of that 14k game were absolutely horrendous.

They were predicting 30k plus for that game. 14k was a great effort in the circumstances.

Eden Park is great for the Warriors.

You said it all right their, and it will only get worse. Cold, out in the open, a long way from the action, a long way from loyal fans , all this ends in tragedy i am afriad and the NRL need to wake up now before they go and lock the warriors into a deal that will kill the game in NZ.

Eden park is a shitehole because NZ rugby union sold it's soul to have the world cup played there.
Now they want rugby league to help pay there bill.

For everything that is sensible and decent in this world, the NRL needs to tell NZ government to shove this great white elephant where the sun dont shine or we will lose more fans because our grounds we use in Sydney and NZ will be shite.
When is the penny going to drop for our game, round grounds kill our f**king game day experience,
I give up.

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
I'll tell you what to do, and every fan and member of our code should follow this to the letter. Dont turn up to any game that is scheduled at a round cricket ground that is sucking the lifeblood outta our code.

The NRL cant seem to see or understand why crowds are not growing massively.
I will tell them, it is the crap game day experience of turning up miles from the action in a cold wet enviroment, on Monday nights, or late on weekend nights when better planning could have been achieved.
It is big blockbuster games at a 80 thousand white elephant when a purpose built 50 thousand stadium would be ideal.
The best ground in Australia is Suncorp, yet nobody in Sydney has decided to bite the bullet and just build a 50 thousand Suncorp stadium in Sydney where they played 120 games compared to Brisbanes 12.
Sack the lot of em. All of Em, Abbott Hockey the lot. This should have been top of the budget.

Every time our code plays at a round ground we are putting dollars into other codes pockets.
We might as well just take 200 million out of our tv deal and give it to them.

Let AFL and corrupt cricket pay for their own white elephant grounds.
And dont take any more games to the SCG, it should be the last place our game is played, 1 million miles from the action. We need to move on and build our own field of dreams for this decade, not look back and supply a reminder of why we left these grounds in the first place.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Cheers I figured it was to do with hire costs, shame as it is a far more professional look for the Warriors, has much better corporate facilities and would probably make growing the Warriors crowds to 20k plus which they should be getting easier.

Seriously have you ever been there? Eden Park is crap, unless it's chock full for an international. As for the corporate facilities, Mt Smart is fine in that regard so I'm not sure where you are getting that.

Eden Park gets talked up by commentators when matches are played there, but commentators will talk up any stadium because thats their job. Don't believe the hype. Mt Smart is a far, far better place to watch footy, and could easily be configured to hold 30K+. There is NO good reason to move to EP.

franklin2323

Immortal
Seriously have you ever been there? Eden Park is crap, unless it's chock full for an international. As for the corporate facilities, Mt Smart is fine in that regard so I'm not sure where you are getting that.

Eden Park gets talked up by commentators when matches are played there, but commentators will talk up any stadium because thats their job. Don't believe the hype. Mt Smart is a far, far better place to watch footy, and could easily be configured to hold 30K+. There is NO good reason to move to EP.

Much like ANZ then...Yet idiots say Sydney teams should move there

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Much like ANZ then...Yet idiots say Sydney teams should move there

I've been to both, and I'd say Eden Park is worse than ANZ. both have similar issues with smaller crowds, but ANZ is pretty magnificent with a truly huge crowd in attendance (ie GFs, Origin, or Bledisloe).

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I went to Eden Park a few years when the 4 nations was on, I thought the atmosphere was great, mind you it was over 40,000 as opposed to the 18,000 theyve had recently there. I agree with the view, wasnt that great, similar to ANZ but still good IMO.

If Eden Park is that crap, how come their crowds are better than Mt Smart?

Maybe they should play games there against the big guns like Manly, Dogs, Roosters, Souths.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I went to Eden Park a few years when the 4 nations was on, I thought the atmosphere was great, mind you it was over 40,000 as opposed to the 18,000 theyve had recently there. I agree with the view, wasnt that great, similar to ANZ but still good IMO.

If Eden Park is that crap, how come their crowds are better than Mt Smart?

Maybe they should play games there against the big guns like Manly, Dogs, Roosters, Souths.

Eden Park games get massive amounts of marketing thrown at them, they're against marquee teams, and on three occasions have been season openers. The ONLY reason the Warriors move games there in the first place is that those games are expected to be able to outstrip Mt Smart's capacity. So really any crowd under 25K at EP is a bit of a fail, as it could've been done at Mt Smart.

That said I don't have a problem playing season openers and games against the big drawing sides there. Though I wouldn't really put Souths (or the Roosters in non-premiership years) in that category in NZ, Brisbane or the Storm pull better crowds there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mt Smart just looks antiquated and half finished and seems to be much more open and wind swept compared to the impression you get of Eden park, as a corporate I think I'd rather entertain at a modern facility. Bow to the people who attend regularly though if Mt Smart genuinely is a better Rl stadium than Eden Park. Looking at the bottom image it looks like the stands can be moved or extended to bring up to touch line?

13outsidelarge.jpg

foto-eden-park.jpg

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Mt Smart just looks antiquated and half finished and seems to be much more open and wind swept compared to the impression you get of Eden park, as a corporate I think I'd rather entertain at a modern facility. Bow to the people who attend regularly though if Mt Smart genuinely is a better Rl stadium than Eden Park. Looking at the bottom image it looks like the stands can be moved or extended to bring up to touch line?

13outsidelarge.jpg

foto-eden-park.jpg

Neither have movable stands. The stand in the photo of Mt Smart you posted is the Eastern Stand, which is already right up against the touchline so there's no need to move it. The Western Stand (where the photo is take from) has the section of old running track visible in the foreground between it and the pitch, but it's still quite close to the pitch, much closer than Eden Park's stands.
Mt Smart is also built in a natural bowl (it was a quarry in the early 20th century) and has hills/slopes at either end, so it's actually quite enclosed from the weather. And it could quite easily be expanded by constructing larger stands at those ends.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
What about the configuration of Eden park in that picture? The stands look right up to the touch line. Did they change it after RUWC?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...oty-fans-covered/story-fni0cx12-1226922080457

New hi-tech plan for Allianz Stadium has footy fans covered

Exclusive John Lehmann Editor-at-Large
The Daily Telegraph
May 19, 2014 12:00AM

080243-e44504fe-de28-11e3-ada0-03258d7c0c20.jpg

An artist’s impression of the upgraded Allianz Stadium.

A $250 million plan is being proposed to transform the out-of-date Allianz Stadium into a hi-tech, fully-roofed entertainment facility to help Sydney’s sports teams shore up their financial futures.

A new master plan for the 44,000-seat venue at Moore Park includes upgraded seating, quality food outlets and super-fast Wi-fi to dramatically improve fans’ match-day experience.

Expanded entry gates, digital video signage and live fan sites will use special lighting systems to enable the stadium to adopt the colours of the “home” teams for different matches.

The master plan, by the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust, includes a permanent see-through roof, which would turn Allianz into Australia’s premier all-weather rectangular stadium.

080758-e5b7a972-de28-11e3-ada0-03258d7c0c20.jpg

It would also help Sydney attract more tourists and generate economic activity by staging global sporting events like the successful Los Angeles Dodgers’ baseball season opener.

Sport minister Stuart Ayres, who will consider the Allianz upgrade while finalising the government’s stadium investment strategy, said he wants to “roll out the red carpet” to more top American sporting franchises, including ice hockey and basketball teams.

NRL chief executive Dave Smith is a strong supporter of the plan and wrote to former premier Barry O’Farrell last month lobbying for $18 million to be allocated in next month’s state Budget.

About $13 million would be spent installing Wi-fi and internet TV by next March, enabling fans to watch unique replays of the sports action on their phones, access live statistics and order food and drinks.

A similar hi-tech system was recently introduced in the SCG’s new stand, which has also seen fans spending on food and drinks more than double since the quality was lifted at the Ashes Test in January.

Mr Smith said Sydney needed world-class rectangular stadiums to attract more spectators and provide a better experience. He said better stadiums would drive bigger revenues for NRL clubs, which under different deals share a cut of ticket and merchandising sales, corporate hospitality and advertising signage.

“From a financial perspective, quality seating, quality facilities, quality corporate areas all contribute to a better financial position for the game and for our clubs,’’ he said.

Mr Smith said the NRL was “willing to be part of discussions on possible ways to fund” the upgrade, which the Trust wants completed by 2020.

080376-e2e6ecda-de28-11e3-ada0-03258d7c0c20.jpg

The NRL has battled to increase crowd numbers over the past decade and at least half of the 16 clubs are struggling financially.

Trust chairman Tony Shepherd said Allianz was “tired” and “desperately needs work”.

“Allianz hasn’t had one cent of public money spent on it ever — it was built with members’ money in 1988,’’ he said.

He said Sydney needed sports facilities worthy of a global city and was slipping behind Melbourne.

“We’ve got to stop thinking like Mickey Mouse and just doing a little bit here and a little bit there — the world will pass us by,’’ he said.

“Let’s be honest, the Yarra Park precinct in Melbourne is world-class, but our facilities in Sydney need investment. Melbourne has just announced plans to spend another $700 million on a tennis centre that we would love to have.’’

Allianz is home to the NSW Waratahs, Sydney Roosters and Sydney FC, and hosts rugby league and rugby union Test matches and Socceroos internationals.

BUILDING A PREMIER PRECINCT John Lehmann

A new indoor cricket centre is part of a $90 million plan to establish a high-performance sports centre at the SCG.

The project, known as Sports Central, would include a terraced building featuring fitness facilities, a rooftop swimming pool and a childcare centre.

The SCG Trust is close to finalising a deal with a well-known Sydney university to establish a sports medicine and hospitality campus within this building.

083796-9d757100-de49-11e3-9ab7-20f6e47ce045.jpg

An artist’s impression of the upgraded Allianz Stadium and Sydney Cricket Ground.

The nearby cricket centre, the home of Cricket NSW, would feature 12 indoor practice wickets, a 60-seat theatrette and a digital coaching centre located underneath a 16-wicket turf training area.

The Sports Central plan also includes an entertainment plaza, featuring an ANZAC memorial dedicated to more than 1000 NSW men and women who have played on the famous grounds and served in Australian defence forces.

The Trust is aiming to further broaden the Moore Park sports precinct and hopes the Sydney Kings basketballers will relocate to the Hordern Pavilion and Sydney Blue Sox to the old Sydney showground.

Cricket NSW chief executive Andrew Jones said Sydney’s cricket facilities had fallen behind those in Brisbane and Adelaide.

“We see a lot of money being spent in AFL, but cricket has many more participants and generates far higher TV ratings,’’ he said.

POLES SALE TO EMPOWER $30 BILLION GRAND PLAN John Lehmann comment

Fast-rising Baird government minister Stuart Ayres reckons voters are not really in love with power poles.

“Do you really want to go up to the power pole outside your home, wrap your arms around it and say I love owning you?’’ he told a Committee for Sydney meeting in Parramatta.

Mr Ayres believes Sydneysiders might be more enamoured with better roads, rail services, sports venues and cultural facilities.

Of course, many of these goodies can only be funded if Premier Mike Baird wins support at the 2015 election to sell the state’s electricity assets. That will be the central battleground of the election, with Labor glued to its ideological opposition to such a sale.

The key to the Baird government’s success will be deciding in the months ahead how the proceeds from such a sale — expected to be about $30 billion — will be invested and then exciting voters in those plans.

Expect much jockeying from various interest groups — including the major sports codes and venues — to get on the Premier’s shopping list.

It is time to invest in major stadiums. We are a sporting town but venues like Allianz have been neglected.

Previous governments spent $280 million in eight years patching up suburban grounds, rather than major stadiums like Melbourne and Brisbane have done.

At least Mr Ayres is on the right track, saying recently his focus will be on improving the SCG Trust venues and Homebush’s ANZ Stadium.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Previous governments spent $280 million in eight years patching up suburban grounds, rather than major stadiums like Melbourne and Brisbane have done.

Just imagine if Gallop wasnt shit at his job, we might have had a few great stadiums instead of a heap of shitty ones...

oikee

Juniors
I really think Allianz stadium is not the upgrade that rugby league needs. Yes it will be great for the Roosters, Rugby Union and Soccer, but it wont do much for our heartland teams where the true growth lies. Out west.
This is just a good excuse for the SCG round ground to get another massive upgrade. Again, more money spent on round grounds,,,, while Sydney's three codes that need at least another 50 thousand rectangle ground and updates to Canberra and Manly grounds, they both need covers, and left high and dry.

Why cover Allianz and leave your other grounds open. This is BS.
It reeks of looking after every code except rugby league, again the NRL has been taken for a ride, left out in the cold, ask canberra.

bobmar28

Bench
I really think Allianz stadium is not the upgrade that rugby league needs. Yes it will be great for the Roosters, Rugby Union and Soccer, but it wont do much for our heartland teams where the true growth lies. Out west.
This is just a good excuse for the SCG round ground to get another massive upgrade. Again, more money spent on round grounds,,,, while Sydney's three codes that need at least another 50 thousand rectangle ground and updates to Canberra and Manly grounds, they both need covers, and left high and dry.

Why cover Allianz and leave your other grounds open. This is BS.
It reeks of looking after every code except rugby league, again the NRL has been taken for a ride, left out in the cold, ask canberra.

Allianz is rectangular.

duylm

Juniors
Just imagine if Gallop wasnt shit at his job, we might have had a few great stadiums instead of a heap of shitty ones...

How is it that within that $280m St George got upgrades for BOTH of their 4-games-a-year stadiums, while Manly who need it most got nothing? I know the answer, it's all politics. The sooner we have a focused strategy, only then can we move forward.

Diesel

Referee
I wonder if an upgraded SFS will bring back match of the round on a Sunday or more double headers?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder if an upgraded SFS will bring back match of the round on a Sunday or more double headers?

The NRL would have rocks in its head not to get a good deal with Allianz to play a Friday night and Sunday afternoon blockbuster event games every week at Allianz if that goes ahead. Frick anz off and start controlling the fixture list to put big blockbuster events on with loads of stuff for fans pre and post game. You could schedule two decent Sydney derbies every week there.

Latest posts