What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Perth Red

Post Whore
18k at eden park against a less glamorous opponent would suggest closer isn't necessarily better? Even third full it still looked respectable and had a good atmosphere (helped by the score!)

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Because Mt Smart stadium is a good size and closer to their fan base.

This is the biggest copout argument...

There fan base is in this one area NOW, so they cant move grounds because that can never ever change.

There is no possible way to look to the future and engage with a wider community, i guess...

bobmar28

Bench
The "new facility for sydneys west" keeps poppig up in these articles yet all I have heard is the one proposal at Penrith. Are their any other proposals I haven't seen? Maybe the planned stadium at blacktown from the soccer world cup bid would be a good plan. Otherwise the best solution I can see is spending the money on reconfiguring ANZ once the swans contract finishes

There is a proposal by Liverpool City Council for a rectangular stadium in Liverpool.

azsportza

Live Update Team
There is a proposal by Liverpool City Council for a rectangular stadium in Liverpool.

Fans won't travel to Campbelltown, sure Liverpool is slightly closer to the City, but if some fans aren't willing to head South-west, it's pointless.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Fans won't travel to Campbelltown, sure Liverpool is slightly closer to the City, but if some fans aren't willing to head South-west, it's pointless.

This is just it....

The choice is really between Parra and Blacktown (my prefered option, it means Panthers can play there and still paint themselves as the team of the far-west)

With the new West Sydney airport, transport from the SW to the NW will be much easier so instead of basing a team in Campbeltown, a totally unsustainable area for a professional team, Panthers/Tigers/Parra can put time into growing support in the area with goal of developing a travelling fan base...

hutch

First Grade
Interesting that our new sports minister in nsw played afl in Penrith for a decade and was an afl development officer in western Sydney. Awesome!

Juju

Juniors
18k at eden park against a less glamorous opponent would suggest closer isn't necessarily better? Even third full it still looked respectable and had a good atmosphere (helped by the score!)
It costs far more to host a game at eden park than mt smart - there are lots of compliance issues and a very vocal residents group.
Mt Smart is cheaper to run and the warriors make money from signage and corporate boxes, with their current deal they do not at Eden Park.
Break even at Mt Smart is 8 -10k, Eden Park 18-20k.

Billythekid

First Grade
What will happen when the novelty wears off? The also got 14k at Eden Park earlier in the season. Their crowds at Eden Park now are worse then when they played there just once a season.

Well i'm not sure many people were expecting them to average like 35K fans a game there.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Is there good reason the Warriors don't have Eden Park as their home stadium? Looks far better corporate and fan facilities than Mt Smart and presents a far more professional image for the Warriors. Surely will be easier for a Warriors to grow crowds at Eden Park? So why are they still playing out of run down mt smart?

Several reasons.

1: Eden Park is much more expensive. They break even at 10K at Mt Smart, they need at least 17K to make money at Eden Park. So even if the crowds average 5K less at Mt Smart they make more money.
2: Mt Smart has better spectator viewing, you are much closer to the action. Eden Park is a multi-use stadium and you are quite far from the pitch in a lot of areas.
3: Atmosphere- Mt Smart feels like a decent crowd with more than 11-12k, and is an absolute cauldron with 15K+. Eden Park needs 20K+ to even start to generate that kind of atmosphere.
4: Mt Smart is nowhere near as run down as some people try to make out. The Western Stand was built for the 1990 Commonwealth games and has been maintained in good condition, The Eastern Stand is barely even ten years old. Lighting is good, parking is better than Eden Park and its close to the Motorway for easy vehicle access.

Timbo

Staff member
Aren't Auckland council trying to rationalize grounds though? At the moment there are three NRL standard stadiums and for half the year it's just the Warriors and the Blues, and then in the back end of the year it's the Warriors, Auckland RU and North Harbour. I thought they wanted to sell off Mt Smart Stadium and have the Warriors play at Eden Park or North Harbour Stadium.

Brutus

Referee
What will happen when the novelty wears off? The also got 14k at Eden Park earlier in the season. Their crowds at Eden Park now are worse then when they played there just once a season.

The weather predictions and actual weather on the day of that 14k game were absolutely horrendous.

They were predicting 30k plus for that game. 14k was a great effort in the circumstances.

Eden Park is great for the Warriors.

Juju

Juniors
The weather predictions and actual weather on the day of that 14k game were absolutely horrendous.

They were predicting 30k plus for that game. 14k was a great effort in the circumstances.

Eden Park is great for the Warriors.
I think Eden Park is great for a season opener - but not a great solution for any more games.
High crowds are only attracted to special occasions not regular season fixtures.

With the larger crowds at EP the club have been doing heavily discounted tickets and big ticket deals - so the crowd average for these games is pretty misleading?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Aren't Auckland council trying to rationalize grounds though? At the moment there are three NRL standard stadiums and for half the year it's just the Warriors and the Blues, and then in the back end of the year it's the Warriors, Auckland RU and North Harbour. I thought they wanted to sell off Mt Smart Stadium and have the Warriors play at Eden Park or North Harbour Stadium.

Yes, and thats why people wanting the Warriors to move to Eden Park should be treated with extreme suspicion, they're pushing the council's agenda, not the Warriors.
North Harbour is the weakest link in my opinion anyway- right at the extreme north of the city (completely in the wrong place for the Warriors who draw their biggest supporter bases from the South) and only really half a stadium, it's got one good covered stand compared to Mt Smart's two, and the one it does have faces west, fully exposed to the prevailing weather.

Wasn't the 14k crowd on the day a cyclone was predicted to hit Auckland?

Yes, but they only got 18K to the next Eden Park game, which still isn't really big enough to justify moving to that venue given that Mt Smart would have probably pulled maybe 13-14k to the same fixture, maybe more.

I think Eden Park is great for a season opener - but not a great solution for any more games.
High crowds are only attracted to special occasions not regular season fixtures.

This. apart from maybe twice a year and for finals, the Warriors will hardly ever pull more than 20K. Mt Smart is a much better fit.

Latest posts