What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

big hit!

Bench
when does a game actually kick off at 7.30? Its more like 7.45 or even 8pm, which can push back the time for some people to get home being pretty late.

I attended a New York Jets Monday Night Football match against Dallas Cowboys 3 years ago.

Game was a sell out at The Meadowlands in East Rutherford, New Jersey (different state but just on the other side of the Hudson river and considered as part of the Greater New York City Area).

Match began at 8:30pm. Finished about 11:30pm. Then I had to take the train back to Penn Station in Manhattan. Got there about 1am.

With the Jets historically being a Queens borough and Greater Long Island team, there were a heap of supporters who had to take a connecting train to Queens, Brooklyn and Greater Long Island. They would've got home at 2am on a school night. I couldn't believe it.

I guess in NFL, night matches (i.e., starts from 7pm onwards) are very rare in that there are only 2 or 3 tops each week out of a 14-16 weekly match schedule, and the really late games will be on the east coast as night matches on the west coast would begin at 5:30pm for an 8:30pm start in the east coast market. A club's supporters will tolerate a one off each season. Was still a task for these fans though.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Suburban gounds should be maintained as Training fields, so clubs can play trials and the ocasional game there (eg. redfern, belmore) while still playing the bulk of games in high-quality stadiums...

Suburban grounds make the nrl look like a pub sport and not a professional one. Time for nrl to move into the 21st century, the suburban grounds symbolize the dinosaur mentality that has plagued league since day one.

GongPanther

Referee
Suburban grounds like Penrith Park are council owned.

Penrith should have built a multi-purpose ground adjoining their club years ago.

DC_fan

Coach
I attended a New York Jets Monday Night Football match against Dallas Cowboys 3 years ago.

Game was a sell out at The Meadowlands in East Rutherford, New Jersey (different state but just on the other side of the Hudson river and considered as part of the Greater New York City Area).

Match began at 8:30pm. Finished about 11:30pm. Then I had to take the train back to Penn Station in Manhattan. Got there about 1am.

With the Jets historically being a Queens borough and Greater Long Island team, there were a heap of supporters who had to take a connecting train to Queens, Brooklyn and Greater Long Island. They would've got home at 2am on a school night. I couldn't believe it.

I guess in NFL, night matches (i.e., starts from 7pm onwards) are very rare in that there are only 2 or 3 tops each week out of a 14-16 weekly match schedule, and the really late games will be on the east coast as night matches on the west coast would begin at 5:30pm for an 8:30pm start in the east coast market. A club's supporters will tolerate a one off each season. Was still a task for these fans though.

I have often thought about the situation in the US with Monday night football. The game always kicks off late east coast time, just to satisfy those on the west coast.

If the game goes in to overtime could be 1-2am before fans get home.

How good is MetLife Stadium! Wouldn't like to be there in shit weather, but even the crap seats give you a good view. But it is in the boonies though.

You mentioned it was a sell out, but it's even better than that in that the entire stadium is season ticket holders (who can then in turn sell their tickets if they don't want to attend). So putting the game on a school night, and late doesn't effect ticket sales/revenue.

seanoff

Juniors
I have often thought about the situation in the US with Monday night football. The game always kicks off late east coast time, just to satisfy those on the west coast.

If the game goes in to overtime could be 1-2am before fans get home.

Given the demand and the various ticket on-selling sites a lot of those MNF fans have planned their days off months in advance. Not everyone works monday to friday and in an urban area that has 20M+ people in it, thats a vast number of people.

Imagine if Sydney had one team that played at home 8 times a year in a scenario in which there was only one major sport. People would find a way to get to a game

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Would less games per season increase the averages ?

The NFL only has 16 rounds, yep 16

If clubs only had 8 home games a year would they become huge events

Sharks will be interesting.
theres an upgrade in the development. pretty sure we pay for it tho.

and its not that great an upgrade. extending the stands on each end.

im not even sure we own the thing now that the pizza shop deal happened.

if we did, id say move and wack on 2 new apartment blocks.

POPEYE

Coach
I'm not sure I'd be ruling out Campbelltown stadium as a site for a major stadium in the west. It sits literally next to Leumeah train station and is close enough to all the major centres (Penrith, Mt Druitt, Camden, St Mary's, Liverpool, Campbelltown etc) to be a good choice.

Not only that, the area is nowhere near saturation point, a point where money/upper class is the priority and League interest can only dwindle

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/westfield-effect-malls-reshape-city-20140713-3bv5i.html

The populations of Chatswood, Bondi Junction and Castle Hill – which have some of the city's biggest shopping centres – all swell to more than 270,000 during the day, a study has found.

This is why Chatswood is the place Manly need to play...

Its designed to bring in massive groups of people just for the day; probably the best public transport area ive found in the North Shore...

Chatswood Oval would be prime, but really anywhere within a few hundred metres would be amazing...

Dogs Of War

Coach
Not only that, the area is nowhere near saturation point, a point where money/upper class is the priority and League interest can only dwindle

Plus with badgries creek airport having plans for a train line to link between st Mary's and that line, plenty of potential for fans to get there via public transport.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

The problem with the SW is that there is no major CBD, the place is just a massive sprawling suburb...

That means there is no major public transport hub to bring people into the one place and cars fill and congest the road/parking areas really quickly.

The SW is vital to NRLs support base, but no stadium could regularly pull more than 15,000ish.

The best situation for Campbeltown support is a stadium in Liverpool or Blacktown(post-airport roads).

Plus with badgries creek airport having plans for a train line to link between st Mary's and that line, plenty of potential for fans to get there via public transport.

Not many people will want to travel to an outer-suburb on the weekend...

But if you reverse it and say "this public transport can easily move people from Campbeltown/Camden to Blacktown or Parramatta", then you can hang onto the SW support without playing games in suburban grounds and sparsely populated areas...

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Whilst I agree the logic with Chatswood is bang on, it'll never happen because all it would be is replacing Brookvale with another suburban ground, no matter how modern it is.

They are not going to drop $150 million+ (and $150 million gets you a pretty basic stadium these days) on a single-user stadium.

Blacktown if built they will envisage for Penrith, some of Wests games and the Wanderers. ANZ for Souffs and Canterbury. Allianz for the Roosters, the Waratahs and the Dragons Sydney fixtures. Parramatta is a bit of a special case because with the upgrades they've already committed to, it remains a viable option for the Eels if Parramatta Council continues to make sure it is well maintained.

The two big losers are the Sharks and the Eagles, who will have to play waaaaay from their fan base, somehow find the funds to re-do their stadium themselves, or re-locate if they want a modern facility. Eventually they'll have to do one of these things, as if the plan by the government works and crowd averages jump up in to the 20,000s and games are being played in modern, world class facilities, the league won't let them keep playing out of suburban grounds like Endeavor, and suburban shitholes like Brookvale.

supercharger

Juniors

:lol: What! Are You seriously saying that there's a west coast bias?
That's banaynays. MNF games start at 5.30 on the left coast with Sunday games starting at 10 am

Last edited:

BlueandGold

Juniors
Whilst I agree the logic with Chatswood is bang on, it'll never happen because all it would be is replacing Brookvale with another suburban ground, no matter how modern it is.

They are not going to drop $150 million+ (and $150 million gets you a pretty basic stadium these days) on a single-user stadium.

Blacktown if built they will envisage for Penrith, some of Wests games and the Wanderers. ANZ for Souffs and Canterbury. Allianz for the Roosters, the Waratahs and the Dragons Sydney fixtures. Parramatta is a bit of a special case because with the upgrades they've already committed to, it remains a viable option for the Eels if Parramatta Council continues to make sure it is well maintained.

The two big losers are the Sharks and the Eagles, who will have to play waaaaay from their fan base, somehow find the funds to re-do their stadium themselves, or re-locate if they want a modern facility. Eventually they'll have to do one of these things, as if the plan by the government works and crowd averages jump up in to the 20,000s and games are being played in modern, world class facilities, the league won't let them keep playing out of suburban grounds like Endeavor, and suburban shitholes like Brookvale.

Spot on except for WSW to penrith.........:crazy::crazy:...........will never happen mate.

That is why Parra stadium is not being talked about in all this, it has 2 permanent tenants and is one of the only viable stadiums out west atm.

Hence the money being thrown at upgrades for the stadium.

Guss Goulds plan to buy WSW has failed and with it any chance the Penrith region had for a stadium upgrade.

Fact is Parra and WSW are working together to get pirtek up to scratch which is in the best interest of both WSW and Eels.

http://article.wn.com/view/2014/04/26/Eels_Wanderers_unveil_120m_plan_to_upgrade_Pirtek_Stadium/

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
It all depends on if the Wanderers can maintain their crowds. If they fall away when they start struggling, a 25,000 seat Parra will be fine for them. If they continue to grow, they'll want a 30-40,000 seat venue, which is what the new western stadium is proposed as.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

It would take ARLC commitment to get it done; lobbying and co-payment. And even then it's only a maybe...

But we know Brooky wont be up to standard much longer, and if they dont get this (or something similar), theyll be moving a fair distance away.

Moving to Sydney would be kind of pointless (there's already 6 inner-city teams), so Gosford Stadium might be their only other option...

Logically, Blacktown is the place this new stadium should be:

- Close enough to Penrith to please them (maybe not their first choice. but still close enough to Penrith to say its a 'home ground')
- Once the airport is build, travel from SW (Campbeltown) to NW (Blacktown) would be easy, so Tigers could play at least half their games there, probably more; then big games a ANZ.
- Parra might prefer their home stadium now, but if a Blacktown one is Suncorp/AAMI style, it wouldnt be long before they saw the benefits...

BlueandGold

Juniors
It all depends on if the Wanderers can maintain their crowds. If they fall away when they start struggling, a 25,000 seat Parra will be fine for them. If they continue to grow, they'll want a 30-40,000 seat venue, which is what the new western stadium is proposed as.

Parra and WSW sell out Pirtek about 7 times a year. WSW have 16k+ ticketed members and 3k on the waiting list for full season tickets. WSW will maintain and grow if the upgrades are done, Parra will also grow if they can start playing some consistent footy.

The final plan to upgrade parra will sit 32k people.......................i do not see WSW out growing a 32k seater stadium in the near future.

Furthermore were is all this money approximately 350million for a 40k stadium build in Western sydney going to come from?

Now add the 250million upgrade to ANZ and further funding for Alliance and the Olympic present upgrades and i just do not see your scenario coming to fruition.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade