What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

cleary89

Coach
Parra and WSW sell out Pirtek about 7 times a year. WSW have 16k+ ticketed members and 3k on the waiting list for full season tickets. WSW will maintain and grow if the upgrades are done, Parra will also grow if they can start playing some consistent footy.

The final plan to upgrade parra will sit 32k people.......................i do not see WSW out growing a 32k seater stadium in the near future.

Furthermore were is all this money approximately 350million for a 40k stadium build in Western sydney going to come from?

Now add the 250million upgrade to ANZ and further funding for Alliance and the Olympic present upgrades and i just do not see your scenario coming to fruition.

Yet only average 14k for home crowds.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Yet only average 14k for home crowds.

Your point is?

WSW Ave was 15.8k
Parra currently sitting on 19k with a huge game taken to ANZ.

Both playing out of Pirtek = around 17k ave all year round.

Sporting stadium 13k ave only used during winter for RL
Cambelltown stadium 11k ave used only during winter for RL
Leichhardt oval 14k ave only in winter for RL
Endeavour field 12.5k ave only used during winter for RL
Brookvale oval 12k ave only used during winter for RL
Wollongong 11k ave only used during winter for RL
Kogarah 11k ave only used in winter by RL

Out of all the stadiums Pirtek will more then double any venue above and is clearly the next stadium being looked at for a significant upgrade, the rest of the teams hoping for funding are dreaming.

ek999

First Grade
The proposal for a new stadium in Penrith includes an aquatic centre, with discussions about the venue being controlled by the ANZ Stadium Trust.

This would allow the four western Sydney-based NRL teams – Parramatta, Canterbury, Penrith and Wests Tigers – to split home matches between ANZ Stadium and the new Penrith stadium based on the number of fans each game is expected to attract.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tek-stadium-20140426-zqzzv.html#ixzz37QUXDLLN

This bit I really like

Edit: Lol at me, this bit I really hate. I read it as ANZ Stadium Trust taking control of Parramatta Stadium, which would make a hell of a lot more sense. But why the f**k would Parramatta, Bulldogs or Tigers want to take matches to Penrith

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
Any upgrade of ANZ should involve the permanent reconfiguration to a rectangular stadium, the AFL and its 3-4 games a year should have zero say in it and the NRL shouldn't compromise with that. It's ridiculous that the NSW government bent over backwards to accommodate GWS with it's own boutique stadium across the road from the multi-purpose ANZ that the AFL just had to have and then they don't even use it, and all the while league venues have been allowed to rot. It's time for the NRL to play hard ball and start getting the recognition they deserve from the state government.

Suburban grounds like Penrith Park are council owned.

Exactly, and most of the Councils have neglected upgrades those grounds for years. Now they have their hand out expecting the State or Federal Governments to pick up the tab. The only grounds in Sydney used by NRL clubs which are owned by the NSW Government are Parramatta, Allianz and ANZ.

BunniesMan

Immortal
There is no way the government forks out for a new stadium. At best Parra will get built into a 30+k number 3 stadium for the city. And that's if we're lucky.

cleary89

Coach
Your point is?

WSW Ave was 15.8k
Parra currently sitting on 19k with a huge game taken to ANZ.

Both playing out of Pirtek = around 17k ave all year round.

Sporting stadium 13k ave only used during winter for RL
Cambelltown stadium 11k ave used only during winter for RL
Leichhardt oval 14k ave only in winter for RL
Endeavour field 12.5k ave only used during winter for RL
Brookvale oval 12k ave only used during winter for RL
Wollongong 11k ave only used during winter for RL
Kogarah 11k ave only used in winter by RL

Out of all the stadiums Pirtek will more then double any venue above and is clearly the next stadium being looked at for a significant upgrade, the rest of the teams hoping for funding are dreaming.

Wiki has them at 14.8k. For 16k ticketed memberships plus 3k wait list, people sure don't bother with their games.

BlueandGold

Juniors
There is no way the government forks out for a new stadium. At best Parra will get built into a 30+k number 3 stadium for the city. And that's if we're lucky.

Yeah 100% spot on there.

I just want to say the State Gov/NRL is in a rock and a hard place, there is no money in the coffers and 5 teams Sharks, Panthers, Dragons, West tigers and Manly that cannot be centralized.

If they try and centralize these teams they will destroy these clubs.

Lets see how powerful the NRL really are in NSW, my guess is we will see in the next decade what the NRL is really made off.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Lets see how powerful the NRL really are in NSW, my guess is we will see in the next decade what the NRL is really made off.

What do you mean by this?

They could be the most powerful sports league in all the land and it wouldn't be enough to keep the money flowing to Brookvale, Endeavour, Kogarah and co.

The government have indicated they will build a new facility in the west and significantly upgrade ANZ and Allianz. That's a billion dollars - if not more - right there.

They aren't going to find hundreds of millions more for single use stadia when it could be spent on schools, hospitals and whatever else.

BunniesMan

Immortal
They're not going to build a new stadium in the next 10 years.

Yeah 100% spot on there.

I just want to say the State Gov/NRL is in a rock and a hard place, there is no money in the coffers and 5 teams Sharks, Panthers, Dragons, West tigers and Manly that cannot be centralized.

Those two have already started.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yeah 100% spot on there.

I disagree on 3 of those...

Dragons would be fine at the SFS instead of Kogarah.

As for the West, if a stadium was built in Blacktown, Panthers and Tigers (and the Eels) could draw crowds pretty successfully.

The only major issues are really Manly and Cronulla....

The Tigers have had a 3 way home-ground-split for some years now. I think it has worked well for the most of the time.

The Dragons have played at ANZ and the SFS before because of reconstruction of Kogarah Oval. This year was the first time we took games away from both Kogarah and the Gong for more money. I don't like the idea of us moving away from home, but crowds are okay there.

Don't the Sharks own their stadium? This wouldn't affect them anyway.

Timbo

Staff member
The Tigers have had a 3 way home-ground-split for some years now. I think it has worked well for the most of the time.

The Dragons have played at ANZ and the SFS before because of reconstruction of Kogarah Oval. This year was the first time we took games away from both Kogarah and the Gong for more money. I don't like the idea of us moving away from home, but crowds are okay there.

Don't the Sharks own their stadium? This wouldn't affect them anyway.

It's not a matter of ownership. The tap will be turned off for maintenance and upgrade money. Even minor stadium refurbishment can run into the tens of millions of dollars. Clubs won't be able to afford that.

It's not a matter of ownership. The tap will be turned off for maintenance and upgrade money. Even minor stadium refurbishment can run into the tens of millions of dollars. Clubs won't be able to afford that.

yeah, good point there. I didn't think of maintenance fees. Point taken.

Swarzey

Bench
A bit late on the whole suburban ground death shit but how anyone can think it's a good idea is beyond me. It's a last resort option and the funds being placed to the side for ANZ and SFS improvements should be spent on improving the suburban grounds because simply, they should be the first priority. Yes, ANZ has its problems, but they're not in dire need, no matter how exaggerated its flaws are. Want to kill rugby league in NSW? Kill the grounds; the communities and traditions that have been built at suburban grounds. South Sydney and the Bulldog's move to ANZ shows very, very little positives come out of it and better crowds aren't one of them.

It's actually pretty sad how much of an impact the case of "If we can't have it, neither can you"

Just muh 2 cents.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Having seen how little $100million buys in the upgrade of nib stadium (basically two new stands) the chances of seeing all those stadiums developed to modern facilities in the next ten years was always going to be a pipe dream. Just a shame the main stadium in the games heartland area is such a dogs breakfast of a design for rectangular sports. It needs pulling down and a proper stadium building if Sydney wants a major world class rectangular stadium but that isn't going to happen. Your always going to have to put up with second class facilities.

BlueandGold

Juniors
What do you mean by this?

They could be the most powerful sports league in all the land and it wouldn't be enough to keep the money flowing to Brookvale, Endeavour, Kogarah and co.

The government have indicated they will build a new facility in the west and significantly upgrade ANZ and Allianz. That's a billion dollars - if not more - right there.

They aren't going to find hundreds of millions more for single use stadia when it could be spent on schools, hospitals and whatever else.

You can kiss the Panthers support, Sharks support, West tigers support in cambelltown goodbye. It is just takes to long to get to and from the game

Manly support never crosses the Harbor Bridge............what makes you think they will go to Alliance/ANZ.

If these changes go ahead then imo these NRL clubs will suffer.................i hope i am wrong about this i really do.

Sorry to be the harbinger of doom i just cant see this ending well for sport in NSW.

When i say sport i mean the NRL.....................no other sport will be effected by these changes, not even aleague will be effected.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Manly will have their choice, stay put and fall behind, move and rebuild the club to have a broader appeal, relocate to somewhere with a stadium and fans, find the money themselves to upgrade their ground. No one will force them to move. Same for cronulla and Penrith. The impact won't be seen for another few years anyway as other clubs are not that far ahead crowd and corporate wise. They've got probably 5 years to sort themselves out and decide where their future lies.