What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Perth Red

Post Whore
on one of Sydney’s favourite Sunday afternoon activities

Lol, have they looked at the attendance thread! In a city of 4.5 million people, when 12,000 turn up I'm not sure you can describe it as a favourite activity.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Well i think the best way is to compare it to when the teams have moved their home games to other stadia (particularly ANZ and Allianz) and see what the crowds would be there.

If anyone could get some data on that it'd be awesome to see the results. I think the Round 1 game between Saints and the Tigers pulled a big crowd at ANZ didn't it?

If anyone could get some data on that it'd be awesome to see the results. I think the Round 1 game between Saints and the Tigers pulled a big crowd at ANZ didn't it?

That game got 19,860.

The other 3 games the Dragons took other home games away from Kogarah and the Gong this year were played at the
- SCG (v Rabbitohs, round 5 Crowd 24,368)
- SFS (v Roosters, round 8. Crowd: 38,784*)
- ANZ Stadium (v Bulldogs, round 9. Crowd 21,077)

The game against the Roosters was the ANZAC Day game, and has been our home game every second year for over 12 years now. Am happy with that decision. I'm not happy with moving the other 3 games this year. It should have ben a slow process rather than taking a third of our games away. Ie - take 1 game away this year, 2 next year, 3 the following etc.

WireMan

Bench
Given that the NRL is a billion dollar sport now, why don't clubs just buy or take very long leases on stadiums and do what needs doing themselves, how they want it done.

Forget asking for hand outs. The NRL is supposed to be the biggest thing in Aus.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
This is nothing new. The bigger matches will start being moved to the bigger stadiums.

I don't see this as the end of suburbran grounds however, Kogarah Leichhardt etc will still be used for the smaller drawing games.

Shark Park gets upgraded anyway with the Cronulla development.
Brookvale is the only real problem, although hopefully it has some federal funding coming its way soon.

fourplay

Juniors
The idea of major centralised stadiums isn't an inherently bad one, but it is if your central stadium is ANZ. The lack of a roof is a minor issue compared to the fact that the stands are too far from the sidelines and the angle of the stands is too low to make viewing at the ground enjoyable. Also a big portion of Penriths fan base would be disconnected if they were moved to ANZ, likewise with Manly. A 7:30pm game at ANZ, travelling from Penrith via public transport can mean not getting home until after 12am.

I think if they built something like this most fans would be happy.

soccer%20stadium.jpg

Meanwhile, look at the angle of the ANZ stands.
art-------------620x349.jpg

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Are they still building a tram/light rail line down past the SFS?

You'd really hope with three major venues that the state govt and NRL will really be able to improve the transport and game day experiences for fans.

Wrangling over the route last i heard but it is going a ahead in some shape.

If it results in a premium experience at ANZ and Aliianz i am all for it, but my only worry is if the hundreds of millions of dollars are going to be spent on both what will happen to ticket prices at the two grounds. I fear they will inevitably go up perhaps as high as those we see on the gold coast to balance the investment.

I would say Ayres is well aware being a panthers fans himself that they will not travel in any numbers even to a "home"game at Parra or ANZ. I would say a new stadium is on the cards and i am thinking Blacktown will be the destination.

Brutus

Referee
Stu Clark and Jimmy Smith are about to speak to the NSW Sports Minister regarding the Stadiums issue. On Sky Sports Radio.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Stu Clark and Jimmy Smith are about to speak to the NSW Sports Minister regarding the Stadiums issue. On Sky Sports Radio.

Can you post a summary, stream will not work on my laptop. Never has from sky sports radio for some reason

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Penrith cant be made to play at ANZ, there would be no point in them existing at all. The furthest East you can expect them to move is Blacktown, which would be a great location for the 3rd stadium...

Its close enough to Parramatta for the eels to get use out of it. And with all of the road and rail investment in the Badgery Creek airport, it would be dead easy to get to blacktown from the SW aswell, meaning the Tigers could use it too.

(Campbeltown doesnt have much of a future, stadium-wise. the goal should be providing the best prospect for the SW locals to travel to)

DC_fan

Coach
The idea of major centralised stadiums isn't an inherently bad one, but it is if your central stadium is ANZ. The lack of a roof is a minor issue compared to the fact that the stands are too far from the sidelines and the angle of the stands is too low to make viewing at the ground enjoyable. Also a big portion of Penriths fan base would be disconnected if they were moved to ANZ, likewise with Manly. A 7:30pm game at ANZ, travelling from Penrith via public transport can mean not getting home until after 12am.

I think if they built something like this most fans would be happy.

soccer%20stadium.jpg

when does a game actually kick off at 7.30? Its more like 7.45 or even 8pm, which can push back the time for some people to get home being pretty late.

The stands in the pic above look pretty steep. Hope they have elevators.

oikee

Juniors
Sydney should have 3 major stadiums. SFS, ANZ and the third should be central to Parra Wests, Dogs and Penrith.
Sponsors and corporate cant be expected to turn up to grounds like Manly or the Tigers. It is why rugby league has been the only code in the country which still has very limited support and reach.

New teams from Perth, NZ, Brisbane and even Adelaide need to come into the game, and playing internationals, nines, Origins and even Blockbusters have to be taken around the country so the game can start growing outside the Sydney bubble, which has laid stagnet like a rotten bog-hole now for a century.
Expand or die.
Just today we had a report from the ARU ceo mentioning his ideas to create bigger sponsors and larger audience.
If rugby league does not start to act like a major code, next years Asian cup here in Australia will blow our code out of the water,. And leave our numpties who run our code looking like the amateurs they really are, this has been the worst planned scheduling year ever, with games on Monday nights during Origins, and Thursday nights losing massive crowds numbers.
They are killing our code, not growing it.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'm not sure I'd be ruling out Campbelltown stadium as a site for a major stadium in the west. It sits literally next to Leumeah train station and is close enough to all the major centres (Penrith, Mt Druitt, Camden, St Mary's, Liverpool, Campbelltown etc) to be a good choice.

big hit!

Bench
Perhaps the spokesman in the article needs to check out some of the suburban stadiums across London in arguably the biggest soccer league in the world.

Still, I agree that government shouldn't be funding game day venues for each and every club. If they want to play at a venue of their choosing that isn't one of the major facilities, then they should have made their own arrangements to provide for their supporters before facilities became so antiquated and stuck in the 1980s.

Given that the NRL is a billion dollar sport now, why don't clubs just buy or take very long leases on stadiums and do what needs doing themselves, how they want it done.

Forget asking for hand outs. The NRL is supposed to be the biggest thing in Aus.

Clubs should have attempted to do this decades ago. It'd be so cost prohibitive now for all but the biggest clubs, and those such as Brisbane and Canterbury seem to be content with where they are.

Unfortunately, the old footballers that ran club ops never sought to improve revenue streams back in the day and were content to just take what the Leagues' Clubs gave them.

Latest posts