What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

future signings????

V

Vasilevsky

William Hopoate is having a lot of trouble at Parramatta. I read he is suing them. Of course surely hell will freeze over before any team is willing to pay that high a % of the salary cap on him as Parramatta are but if the Dragons could afford about 500k with Parramatta topping up his salary (as the Dragons are doing with Beale) for the next 2 seasons, I'd be very happy to see him play for the Dragons. And Blake Ferguson still hasn't signed with the Roosters as far as I know. The way he has been playing will cost whoever signs him a lot. Maybe it's not a great idea to spend so much on an imported centre rather than try and find good ones from within. Until the last few years the Dragons had produced a myriad of good and a few great centres.

Either way, with one or 2 more really good (and fast) outside backs I'm excited about the prospects for next year.

V

Vasilevsky

Scratch that. Blake Feguson has signed with the Roosters.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think with the bigger forwards next season that they will have on their books it will make a pretty big difference. Euan and Mata'Utai will be better with a season under their belts as well.

I would like Saints to get someone like Dean Whare back to the club or Kane Linnett. They are pretty good solid and could be tempted to come back to their junior clubs.

Corey Thompson at the Dogs is also available but can't see much difference to him and Justin Hunt.

Smurf

Juniors
images

Plus 1,000,000 !!!!

Smurf

Juniors
We need Speed
BMoz has been a huge loss
His speed would of definitely got us an additional win

bottle

Coach
Talk in the main forum 'rumoured signings' thread that Lafai is being linked with Manly. I like Lafai, he goes ok. Don't know how he is speed wise, but he knows how to get across the line.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints were not willing to pay the best winger in the world 650k to stay at the club. Why would they throw big money to other players to join the club?

Their priorities in terms of where to spend the cash is in the spine and you cannot argue with that. It is following the Storm's logic. Only thing is Storm have future immortals in those positions. You get a good spine and the rest will follow. Not as if Storm go out and spend big on wingers and centres. They mostly gamble on youth and it seems to work fine.

V

Vasilevsky

That doesn't mean he is worth anywhere near that!

I agree. Hence the comment about hell freezing over before he gets that % of the salary cap from any other club. But I don't think 500k is too excessive for a good, young centre.

V

Vasilevsky

Saints were not willing to pay the best winger in the world 650k to stay at the club. Why would they throw big money to other players to join the club?

Their priorities in terms of where to spend the cash is in the spine and you cannot argue with that. It is following the Storm's logic. Only thing is Storm have future immortals in those positions. You get a good spine and the rest will follow. Not as if Storm go out and spend big on wingers and centres. They mostly gamble on youth and it seems to work fine.

According to the &%#$'& himself, it wasn't about money but about wanting to play with his brother......

Your logic in regard to the Storm and Dragons seems somewhat misplaced to me. The Storm also have Chambers and Bromwich and the Dragons don't seem to be spending excessive money on their spine. It looks to me the coaching staff decided they needed more power and depth in the forwards and I can only conclude they have high hopes on some juniors coming through in the 3 quarters. Or maybe they believe Aitken and Mata Utai will become much more than just 'solid' as they have been so far this year.

Mr Red

First Grade
According to the &%#$'& himself, it wasn't about money but about wanting to play with his brother......

Your logic in regard to the Storm and Dragons seems somewhat misplaced to me. The Storm also have Chambers and Bromwich

and Proctor (whom we reportedly offered 700k a season for)

BennyV

Referee
I agree. Hence the comment about hell freezing over before he gets that % of the salary cap from any other club. But I don't think 500k is too excessive for a good, young centre.

Depends on your definition of 'good' and 'young'...Hoppa had one good year at Manly, then left the game for 2 years and has done nothing since his return. That sort of money would be worth offering to the likes of Jennings or Ferguson, not Hopoate.

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
And the Storm spine were all developed internally, players who made their FG debut with Melbourne, not externally poached NRL players. We've let our two best halves prospects - Hastings and Bird - walk out the door within 12 months of each other. And one of them was ushered out under Mulholland's watch, while he was busy accruing the worst set of off-season recruits the club has possibly ever seen

V

Vasilevsky

And the Storm spine were all developed internally, players who made their FG debut with Melbourne, not externally poached NRL players. We've let our two best halves prospects - Hastings and Bird - walk out the door within 12 months of each other. And one of them was ushered out under Mulholland's watch, while he was busy accruing the worst set of off-season recruits the club has possibly ever seen

I think it has been made abundantly clear the cub had basically no salary cap space to work. But again, those players whom he recruited haven't even been able to fill in as 'depth signings'.

V

Vasilevsky

Depends on your definition of 'good' and 'young'...Hoppa had one good year at Manly, then left the game for 2 years and has done nothing since his return. That sort of money would be worth offering to the likes of Jennings or Ferguson, not Hopoate.

24 or under and at least a fringe rep player. First and second points checked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Bromwich, Chambers and Proctor made their debuts for the Storm. They did not spend big bucks to bring them across from another NRL side.