What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FW1 - FNF - Warriors 10 Parramatta 12

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Haha and aren't you the person who said we were getting cocky because the Dr was talking about how he was going to wear his lucky jersey or something?

Shorty

Staff member
Fast Eddie said:
Haha and aren't you the person who said we were getting cocky because the Dr was talking about how he was going to wear his lucky jersey or something?
:?Wasn't that Ron?

I don't think it's either of you guys in general but there are Warriors fans that are somewhat arrogant in terms of their approach to other teams.

Should be a great contest between 2 great attacking sides, it all depends on the attitude of both teams who wins this one.
If it's wet I expect the Warriors to be very hard to beat with their great go forward, if it's dry expect Parra to use the speed of their outside backs and kicking game.
I really can't split the 2 sides, if Parra play like they did last week no one will beat them but can they play like that again 5 days later?

I hope Parra Win but this will a tough game and could go either way.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Shorty said:
:?Wasn't that Ron?

I don't think it's either of you guys in general but there are Warriors fans that are somewhat arrogant in terms of their approach to other teams.

It was, and since when have we been cocky?:? i think the Warriors will win.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Thierry Henry said:
This should be very close

Just quietly,
I think the Eels are the better side

However, home advantage for the Warriors is massive and as a result I think we should be very slight favourites

There are some real similarities between the sides in crucial areas- both have an exciting attacking fullback, a good front row, a strong hooker rotation, and a few question marks over the halves. Both have decent backrows, although the Eels have a bit of a wild card in Mateo- I think the workhorse Warriors backrow can hopefully nullify the Eels though. Both have decent benches as well.

The major difference is quite obviously Inu/Grothe/Smith/Tahu v Crockett/Ah Van/Mannering/Byrne. The main emphasis for the Warriors backs will be on defense- they are not exactly the most electrifying backs around sans Ropati and Vatuvei, so I don't expect us to attack much there. If we are to win, it will be up the middle- through both the forwards, and the little men running off them and from dummy half.

I don't expect a Warriors win to be particularly exciting, but it may well be hard fought and tense.
e
e

Warriors are favourites and should win easily.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Yeah me too, i think the Warriors will win this one, short turn around, over there, coming of a huge high.....I see the Warriors bringing us back down to earth lol

Shorty

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
It was, and since when have we been cocky?:? i think the Warriors will win.
Well that's the point I think most Parra fans are tipping the Warriors.

brf,I'll post where I want to,stop trying to forum cop.

hitman82

Bench
I'm expecting the Warriors to win of course, but I am still paranoid about our tendency to have jitters in important games.
Especially players like Lauaki, Ah Van, Anderson, Luck... I would not be surprised if they have problems with their handling and penalties.
Hopefully Price and Wiki can keep everything under control.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Go the MIGHTY BLUE AND GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another f**king game with Archer the ref, ffs sake he is the worst ref in the NRL.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Lowdown.... with help from Big League Magazine

WARRIORS 4th

ATTACK
593 points at 24.7 per game
100 tries at 4.2 per game

DEFENCE
434 points at 18.1 per game
78 tries at 3.3 per game

Last six games
R20-WDWLWW-R25

The Goalkicker
Michael Witt, 59/63 - 94%

PARRAMATTA 5th
ATTACK
573 points at 23.9 per game
98 tries at 4.1 per game
DEFENCE
481 points at 20 per game
83 tries at 3.5 per game

Last six games
R20-LWLLLW-R25

The Goalkicker
Krisnan Inu 30 goals

THE HISTORY

Head to head overall
21 matches, Parramatta 14 Warriors 7

Head to head at Mt Smart
10 matches, Warriors 6 Parramatta 4

Last met
Parramatta 30 Warriors 6 at Parramatta, 2007
Warriors 34 Parramatta 18 at Mt Smart, 2007

Finals Showdowns
Parramatta 56 Warriors 12 at Parramatta, Week 1 2001

Biggest wins
Warriors 40 Parramatta 4 at Parramatta, 1995
Parramatta 56 Warriors 12 at Parramatta, 2001

THE ODDS from TAB Sportsbet
Warriors 1.75 Parramatta 2.05

Timmah

Staff member
Shorty said:
Well that's the point I think most Parra fans are tipping the Warriors.

brf,I'll post where I want to,stop trying to forum cop.

Wow, I didn't know people could be more paranoid than me :lol: :crazy:

Timmah

Staff member
It's patriot games for Eels in NZ

Brad Walter | September 7, 2007

Parramatta officials had to get the NRL to intervene so they could train on the Warriors' home ground as the mind games and subterfuge intensify ahead of tonight's opening finals match in Auckland.

And while the Eels did have a brief run at Mt Smart Stadium yesterday morning, their request to train last night was blocked after the Warriors maintained they were using the ground between noon and 10pm.

In a move that would no doubt draw a wry smile from South Sydney coach Jason Taylor after the Eels refused to allow the Rabbitohs to use the warm up field next to Parramatta Stadium during their round 18 clash, the Warriors are believed to have suggested Michael Hagan's men use another venue at Ellerslie.

Taylor and Hagan became embroiled in a post-game slanging match after the dispute at Parramatta Stadium. But no one wanted to say much about the stand-off in Auckland as both teams finalised their preparations for a match New Zealand's pay TV broadcaster, Sky, expects to attract more viewers than any All Blacks Test so far this year.

But the Herald has been told that frustrated Parramatta officials contacted the NRL earlier this week after being advised that the Warriors never allow visiting teams to train on their ground.

As finals matches are under the control of the NRL, the Warriors were told that they had to let Parramatta have access to the ground when they weren't using it, but the request by the Eels to train at night - so they could acclimatise for the 8.30pm kick-off - was rejected.

Security guards were placed at the stadium gates to prevent the Parramatta players returning at a later time to train or watch the Warriors practice.

Despite kicking the media out after their warm-up, the Eels were unable to train in privacy as the Warriors offices back onto the stadium. Hagan even raised the possibility of the dressing room being bugged.

Asked whether it was possible for teams to have any secret moves up their sleeves heading into the finals, Hagan said: "Probably when you train at their ground and use their meeting room you can't but I'm sure they've done enough work on us anyway."

Parramatta captain Nathan Cayless was also conscious of any Warriors espionage activities: "I'm sure there is someone from the Warriors here watching our training session," Cayless said "But everyone's got access to video footage of every game that you play, it's just a matter of doing it out on the field."

The Eels insist their side will be unchanged and injured fullback Luke Burt merely watched his teammates from the sideline, putting paid to any speculation he may be planning a surprise comeback.

Hagan, however, predicted a change in the Warriors line-up, with back-rower Wairangi Koopu switching to the centres and Todd Byrne moving to the wing at the expense of Patrick Ah Van.

With Ah Van coming in for the injured Manu Vatuvei, who had a horror game under the high ball in the Warriors round 11 loss to Parramatta, Hagan was asked whether the rookie winger would face a similar a barrage of kicks. "He might be put under some pressure if he plays, I don't know if he will actually play," Hagan said. "I think you'll find Wairangi Koopu will be in the centres."

Such a move would enable Warriors coach Ivan Cleary to carry dynamic forwards Evarn Tuimavave, Epalahame Lauaki and Louis Anderson on the bench, along with hooker George Gatis. There is also speculation that Anderson may start in place of Logan Swann after his recall to the top grade for last weekend's trip to Penrith.

The Warriors have called for fans to turn out in black to create an intimidating atmosphere for the Eels when they run onto the field and Cayless admitted the home ground advantage would be hard to overcome. "I'd rather be playing at Parramatta Stadium than a sold out Mt Smart Stadium, that's for sure," Cayless said. "Playing the Warriors at home, it's always a tough ask so it's definitely going to help them."

If the Warriors win, their next game will also be in Auckland - either next weekend or in the grand final qualifier, depending on other results - and stadium management are planning to bring in additional seating after increasing the capacity to 30,000 for tonight's match.

Tonight's loser will head to North Queensland next Saturday unless there are upsets in the other three finals played over the weekend.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1188783416126.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Timmah

Staff member
Price prefers the hard yards

September 7, 2007

Warriors skipper has built his character on doing it tough, writes Jamie Pandaram.

In the midst of a deep conversation with the Herald last Sunday, Steve Price's mobile phone transmitted the result of Parramatta's slaughter of Brisbane.

With eyebrows raised, he repeats the blowout scoreline - "68-22" - then smiles and nods his head. "That's good, that's good."

Here it is: the ruthless, hurdle-seeking nature of the Warriors captain, who views shortcuts as a recipe for a short-fall. "I would rather play a team in form, that is more of a challenge," he explains.

Price, 33, hasn't received any favours during his 14-year first-grade career, nor does he want any. Quite the contrary, he has had to negotiate booby traps such as salary cap breaches at two clubs and the gang-rape allegations at the Bulldogs, and he readily admits his character has been carved from the mountains of such scandals.

"If you had told me before the salary cap scandal and rape allegations that I would have to represent the Bulldogs as the captain and face up to all of these people and answer questions, I would have said, 'No, I won't be able to handle that'.

"But had it not been for those issues, I would not be the leader I am today or the person I am today."

Ambitious and driven, Price doesn't mind slipping into marketing-speak when discussing plans for the future. He does aspire to run the NRL one day, preferring to have charge over "400 people rather than just 17 players", but he instantly dismisses the idea of coaching when he retires.

"I like the administration side of things, and I think a lot about the game and believe I can make a difference," says Price, who is completing a Masters of Business Administration. "If you want to be an administrator, you need to be conscious of the type of people you can affect with your decisions - it is duty of care.

"When I saw the pain the stakeholders of both the Bulldogs and Warriors had gone through during the salary cap breaches, I got a real appreciation of all the different people you represent as an administrator."

If he gets there, Price will be one of the few CEOs to have posed nude for a magazine shoot. There's a few feathers to the man's cap: the father-of-three who is married to his Toowoomba childhood sweetheart Jo has also played an enormous role off the field.

On a mantlepiece in Price's Auckland home sit three photographs of dead friends. One is of Jo's uncle, the second is of Bulldogs patriarch Peter "Bullfrog" Moore, with whom Price formed a close bond.

And the third photograph is of a young boy who Price met on only a handful of occasions. Matthew Mitric, an avid Canterbury supporter, lost his battle with cancer five days after Christmas, 2001. The 11-year-old was buried wearing a Bulldogs jersey and holding a Bulldogs soft toy - both gifts from Price.

Matthew's mother Kim says: "I can't speak highly enough of Steve, he was unbelievable. He meant the world to my son, they were truly great mates.

"Steve got him through some pretty tough times. There was a time when Matthew had been in intensive care for several weeks, I hadn't seen my son smile for weeks.

"I couldn't get him to smile, Matthew's father [Marty] couldn't get him to smile, his sister [Danielle] couldn't get him to smile, and he was generally responsive to all of us.

"But when Steve came to visit Matthew, the smile never left his face for hours. He felt really special."

Price remembers it well. "I spent a fair bit of time with him that day," he says. "I use him as an inspiration.

"His mother wrote me a letter after he passed away saying that they had tried the best medicines and doctors, and nothing worked liked my visits. She wrote that I gave her two more years with her son, and that just blew me away.

"We're talking about life here … sport is really nothing in the way of life. But whilst we do only play sport, rugby league is a sport that a lot of people do love, you do play such a massive role in people's lives, and that is why we get paid the money we do."

Talking of money, he is certainly earning a nice packet at the Warriors, but the club feels they have made such a sound investment that Price has been given a one-year extension and will play on next season.

With good reason. This year's Dally M captain of the year and prop of the year was also named the Warriors' player of the year on Wednesday night, retaining the honour from 2006.

He has made more yardage than any other player in the competition so far this season, 4213 metres - or 200.6m per game. He is in the form of his career yet his former club wasn't convinced he had three good years left in him.

Price reveals some of the contributing factors that led to him leaving the Bulldogs after 2004. "I wanted a three-year contract, and they only wanted to give me two. They also wanted me to quit representative footy, but I believe the selectors should be the judge of that."

Then there was the sacking of long-serving football manager Garry Hughes in the fallout from the rape allegations.

"Garry had played his whole career at the club, and then worked for the club when he finished playing. When he was sacked, for the first time that I had been at the club, I realised that this was a business just like anywhere else."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/price-prefers-the-hard-yards/2007/09/06/1188783416146.html

Timmah

Staff member
LATE MAIL

First qualifying final:

Injured fullback Luke Burt is in Parramatta's travelling squad but will definitely not play, coach Michael Hagan said last night. Burt said last weekend he was unlikely to return from a knee injury this year. ``We brought Joel Reddy, Todd Lowrie and Luke Burt,'' Hagan told Late Mail . ``But we have no changes. Luke has been doing well in his rehab and we basically thought we'd give him a trip.'' Warriors coach Ivan Cleary has one player to omit. Parramatta got their biggest-ever finals win against the Warriors in 2001.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22377737-5001023,00.html

Timmah

Staff member
Stop calling us weak links
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Dean Ritchie
September 06, 2007 12:00am

EELS halfback Tim Smith has called for greater protection from his forwards in tonight's qualifying final against the Warriors in Auckland.

Smith and five-eighth Brett Finch, heavily criticised throughout the season, are bracing themselves for a mountain of defensive work tonight.

The pair know only too well they will be targeted in defence by the huge Warriors forwards when the NRL finals series explodes into action before a 29,000 sell- out crowd at Mt Smart Stadium.

"Finchy and I know we will be targeted by their big men," Smith said last night.

"We also know that there is a lot of help in our boys.

"They'll be there to help us if we need it."

Smith is angry that he and Finch have been singled out as the potential weak link in the Eels side and he is confident the pair can set alight the electric Parramatta backline tonight.

"The pressure won't get to us," he said.

"Finchy and I have copped plenty of criticism all year. But I believe in Brett and he believes in me. That's all that matters.

"Finchy has played in State of Origins and grand finals. He knows about big occasions and we'll look to his leadership."

But one of Parramatta's greatest players, former five-eighth Brett Kenny, is worried about the Eels' scrumbase pairing.

"They don't seem to take the line on much. They drift across field and then turn the ball back inside or throw the long, flat pass," Kenny said.

"They're not putting the defence under any pressure. I think they are too similar and you can't have that.

"They both like to be in control. I think you need the halfback to play one way, the five-eighth another way."

Parramatta coach Michael Hagan is perplexed by the constant criticism of Smith and Finch.

"I don't know why (they get criticised)," Hagan said.

"They have been excellent all year for us.

"They are as good a pair of halves as any team left in the competition.

"They're up to it, but they will need to get support from the others like all halves do.

"The two also need to be dominant in how they play and talk."

Smith said his side had prepared well and will have no excuses for not producing their best tonight.

"It's been a short week but a good week," he said. "We know how hard it will be to win (in Auckland).

"But we also know we have a bit of momentum."

Eels captain Nathan Cayless said Smith - along with the Warriors' halfback pairing of Grant Rovelli and Michael Witt - were inexperienced at finals level.

"Both sets of halves are probably lacking a bit of experience except maybe Brett Finch," Cayless said.

"Timmy (Smith) is only young. Michael Witt and Grant Rovelli, they're both young players as well.

"I'm sure there's going to be lot of pressure coming their way but the pressure's going to be on everyone and there's nowhere to hide.

"It's going to be a massive occasion - 30,000 people here and it's finals footy and that's what you play for."

The Warriors are $1.75 favourites according to TAB Sportsbet with Parramatta the $2.05 outsiders.

Extra seating has been installed at the stadium to cope with the huge crowd.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22375034-5001023,00.html

Latest posts