What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FW1 - SAT - North Queensland 20 Bulldogs 18

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Me too, we won't have to listen to your illiterate mumblings on here.

effnic

Bench
Timmah said:
Bulldogs to target Thurston on the sly

Greg Prichard | September 7, 2007

The suspension of Sonny Bill Williams for his late and high hit on Johnathan Thurston won't stop the Bulldogs from putting the heat on the North Queensland playmaker again tomorrow night - they just plan to be smarter about it this time.

"You have to try to cut down the amount of time he's got with the ball in his hands," Bulldogs captain and second-rower Andrew Ryan said yesterday. "You've got to try to get to him, but not go outside the boundaries.

"It [the challenge by Williams] went a bit wrong, but that can happen sometimes … We've still got to try to put pressure on him, but we've got to do it without breaking the rules."

Ryan said the Bulldogs were well aware of what they had to improve on their performance against the same opponents in last weekend's final round. The Cowboys led 38-10 before Thurston left the field midway through the second half and the Bulldogs rallied to within six points.

"We didn't match them for attitude and enthusiasm," Ryan said. "They were bouncing up to play the ball quickly and I think our defence was a bit off the pace. They beat us through the middle of the ruck. They've got players like [Aaron] Payne and [David] Faiumu who are good at taking off quickly and getting out of there.

"They worked well on the ground. You've got to do that, but we didn't do it nearly well enough. We weren't patient enough. We took a few wrong options and we didn't play for the 80 minutes. We need to be intense and patient and get our defence right for 80 minutes. We're in that position where, if we lose, we won't know what is going to happen to us until the rest of the games are played. We don't want to have to go through that."

If they lose at Dairy Farmers Stadium, the sixth-placed Bulldogs will have to depend on both seventh-placed South Sydney (against Manly at Brookvale Oval tomorrow night) and eighth-placed Brisbane (against Melbourne at Olympic Park on Sunday) losing the remaining qualifying finals.

The Dogs have lost Williams, but get fellow representative forward Mark O'Meley back from injury.

North Queensland, meanwhile, are without four regular starting forwards - injured trio Luke O'Donnell, Shane Tronc and Steve Southern, and the suspended Sione Faumuina.

Chief executive Peter Parr said yesterday that it was impossible to fluke a win against a Bulldogs pack that last week included Ryan, Williams, Willie Mason and Reni Maitua, and that the North Queensland forwards had not got the credit they deserved.

"People tend to not rate guys like Sam Faust, Matt Bartlett and Mark Henry just because they don't know them," Parr said. "But that's not fair. If you have a closer look, you'll see that they can play. They bring enthusiasm and a great attitude to their job.

"They don't pretend they are Sonny Bill Williams. They're not attention seekers. They just concentrate on doing their job, and they're doing it pretty well at the moment. A team doesn't win five games in a row, like we have, unless its forwards are firing.

"Our forwards are very determined in defence. They are effective and they deserve more credit than people give them. But it doesn't really bother them. The reward, for them, is that they get to play in front of a big home crowd again this week."

Parr said the Cowboys were expecting a different Bulldogs team this time. "They're going to be fired up, that's for sure," he said. "After last week, they'll come back here with the mentality that they know what they have to do if they want to win and it will be up to us to stop them again."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/dogs-to-target-thurston-on-the-sly/2007/09/06/1188783416152.html

:lol: f**k the Bulldogs are geniused. Yeah real sly plan there put an article out so the whole world can see. WHEN the Cowboys win i am actually so close to leaning towards a Souths win. f**k i really dont know which way to lean ahahahhah oh it would be funny seeing the dogs gone, the bastards dont even deserve to be in the 8, some horrible teams have made the 8 this year.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Cowboys by 20, they are too quick for the Dogs. And the Dogs are without one of their best players SBW, and Cuts is missing as well!

Shorty

Staff member
Look at this,people saying the same thing as I did,oh dear they must be 'cocky' as well.

ShineDog

Juniors
I can't wait for the Dogs v Cowboys game Saturday night.

Dogs will absolutely smash the Cowboys....I am sick of hearing the Dogs have no chance, Cowboys will not be able to back up after last week.

Dogs by 32.

ShineDog

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Cowboys by 20, they are too quick for the Dogs. And the Dogs are without one of their best players SBW, and Cuts is missing as well!

Unlike Brissy, Dogs are not a one man team!!!

Storm by 80.

lockyno1

Post Whore
ShineDog said:
Unlike Brissy, Dogs are not a one man team!!!

Storm by 80.

We are not just missing one player you know..berrigan, hunt, hodges have been missing as well!

Dogs are too slow. Put Holdsworth to 6, Roberts to 9, and drop Perry who is awful! And Utai is prone to defensive mistakes as well.

ShineDog

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
We are not just missing one player you know..berrigan, hunt, hodges have been missing as well!

Dogs are too slow. Put Holdsworth to 6, Roberts to 9, and drop Perry who is awful! And Utai is prone to defensive mistakes as well.

I was never a Corey Hughes fan , but am very happy with his form at hooker...he does not seem to be giving away penalties and has a very smart footy brain.

Would be happy to see Roberts on the bench and Holdsworth at 5/8...meaning Perry would be back in Reggies.

Utai is a match winner...has the experience and I am very happy to see him back.
Opposing teams have always said that Utai and El Magic are to short and SLOW...but they have proven in the past that they have the talent and the experience.

Shorty

Staff member
ShineDog said:
I was never a Corey Hughes fan , but am very happy with his form at hooker...he does not seem to be giving away penalties and has a very smart footy brain
Corey Hughes is my favourite Bulldog,I really like how he's played this year.
But I hate that haircut:x

Timmah

Staff member
Cowboys to keep Bulldogs chained
By Matt Marshall
September 07, 2007

A RUTHLESS North Queensland squad vowed yesterday to show no mercy in the Groundhog Day stoush with the Bulldogs at Dairy Farmers Stadium tomorrow night.

With the late fadeout against the same opponent lastw eek fresh in the memories, senior Cowboys players have warned that only an 80-minute effort will be good enough to stave off the snarling visitors.

North Queensland leaked a worrying 22 points in the final 20 minutes last Friday night, its 38-10 lead whittled away to just a six-point win.

The Cowboys have vowed to keep the foot on the throat tomorrow night.

"If we can get them downm we need to keep them down," veteran Jason Smith said.

"If we don't, they'll fight their way back into the game.

"We won't be taking our foot off the throttle at all.

"Last week, they had a lot to play for and we probably didn't. But this time, we've both got a lot to play for."

The red-hot Cowboys boast an impressive head-to-head record against the Bulldogs, having won five of their past seven meetings, including two from two this season and a shock upset win in the two clubs' only finals meeting in 2004.

"We want to keep the foot on the throat for the whole 80 and not take it off after 60," veteran Paul Bowman, who will again play lock despite being named at centre, said.

"We know we can't afford to relax in semi-finals.

"Everyone knows it's totally different when it comes to semi-finals, but we can take a bit out of that game last week. We know what to expect.

"It's do or die for them, and they have over the years been underdogs at certain times but they've come back and proven themselves. That's when they're at their most dangerous, the Bulldogs, when everyone writes them off. We're definitely not doing that."

Enforcer Carl Webb admitted his side's youngsters - including raw trio Sam Faust, Matthew Bartlett and Mark Henry - had gained a valuable lesson from their side's lazy finish in round 25.

"We know we can't take our foot off the throat when we've got a commanding lead like that," Webb said.

"That was our biggest learning curve, especially with our younger guys.They'll be a lot better for it this week.

"Everyone knows their job, knows what to do, everyone is really positive and as Bear (Bowman) said, I think we learned a lot from the weekend. We slipped in the last 20, but we've learned a lot from that, we know they can come back and sting us.

"We've got to play for the full 80, and we can't give them a thing. I know they (Bulldogs) must have got something out of this defeat up here. They were a little bit underdone last week so they're going to come up here all guns firing."

Only the Bulldogs are talking it up, right? :roll:

Timmah

Staff member
The Cowboys? So your mob aren't a step close to being knocked out?

It'd be f**k funny if Brisbane won as well... Cows & NZ gorn first week.

Havin said that I'd prefer Cows and Brisbane but I don't think that would happen.

Rovelli

Bench
The only way the Cows get eliminated is if 5,6,7,8 win, therefore us and them go out.

Stranger things have happened.

CowMan

Juniors
all good Timmah, all that has to happen is Cows win, Rabbitohs Win & storm win and

bye bye Doggies

Latest posts