What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gal - From the Beanbag.

azzah72

Bench
Paul Gallen – Cronulla – I love the place
BY: AUSTRALIAN SPORT - YAHOO!7 SPORT | DATE: OCTOBER 21, 2011 | CATEGORIES: UNCATEGORIZED

Earlier this week I was very pleased to sign a two-year extension with the Cronulla Sharks, a deal that should keep me at the club for the rest of my career.
At the press conference I was asked what it meant to become a Shark For Life,' and for me that's a difficult question to answer.
There are a lot of things to like about Cronulla, the club and the area. Good facilities, sound management, a healthy squad of players, great fans and an ideal lifestyle, both for young guys and older blokes with families.
I've been around Cronulla long enough to know the club inside out, warts and all.
I'm not silly enough to trumpet the Sharks as a club without its share of problems, but I have always made an effort to resist the temptation of other clubs, or to get sucked in by the mantra that the grass is always greener somewhere else. At the risk of sounding over the top, I love the place, everything about it, and have done so since the moment I arrived in the Shire back over a decade ago.
Shane Flanagan has put me in a leadership position at the club which has given me the opportunity to provide a good example to younger players and lead from the front, a role I believe has taken my game to a new level.
No one knows what the future holds and I suspect a lot of people are sceptical about our chances to win that elusive Premiership, but that's my goal, and I'm going to do everything I can over the next four seasons to make it happen.

THE CARNEY CIRCUS
Throughout this year I have been fairly outspoken about my thoughts on Todd Carney.
Let it be said that I like Todd Carney, as a person first and a player second. He is a young kid who has ridden the rollercoaster countless times, experiencing tremendous highs and devastating lows.
Through it all he has remained a very likeable guy who is well respected by his peers.
Kids? They love the bloke, always lining up the longest to get his signature and cheering the loudest to get his attention. He gives an immeasurable amount of time and energy back to the people who support him and the fans who come in droves to see him, without fuss, and has never let that adulation affect the way he goes about his day-to-day life.
Then there's the side to Todd Carney that everyone has an opinion on. The late nights, the partying, the broken promises, and the incredible attention that surrounds it.
In my opinion, the media have gone way over the top with the way they have hounded Todd, and unfortunately, public perception has largely been shaped by the circus they have created.
I have watched in amazement in the way things are being reported, and now find myself constantly shaking my head at the rabid obsession with details of his personal life. Then, there's the members of the public who think it's appropriate or somehow acceptable to rile him up for a reaction, or take intrusive photos and videos to sell to hungry media outlets. Disgusting!
David Riolo, my manager, also looks after Todd, and I have spoken to him a number of times about how things have played out over the past 12 months.
While Dave hasn't given too much away, it came as no surprise that more than a handful of NRL clubs are interested in his services, or that he is taking his time with Todd to make the right decision. It's an important one, but Dave is the best in the business, so I have no doubt things will work out in due course.
From a selfish perspective, I hope Todd comes to the Sharks. He is a fantastic talent and a player I believe can take us to that next level. Whether I can help him or not, I'm not sure, but I do know I would do everything in my power to try.
Most of all, I just hope that Todd gets another chance in the NRL and that people make a conscious effort to lay off the bloke. The way he polarises opinion is quite astounding, but the majority of that has been created by a media machine solely focussed on selling newspapers and increasing ratings.
What this does to the kid and where it leaves him is of little concern, something I find sad and very concerning.

TOURING WITH THE KANGAROOS
By the time you read this I'll be in the air on my way to the UK for the Four Nations tournament.
Last weekend we put in a terrific performance against the Kiwis, scoring a bucket-load of points and picking up a lot of confidence.
All the boys are getting along famously and long may it continue we're going to need to be on our game for the whole time we're overseas to win this tournament and reclaim our place as the world's best team.
Until next week,

Gal

http://fromthebeanbag.com/2011/10/21/paul-gallen-cronulla-i-love-the-place/

jc155776

Coach
How good is Gal?

Seriously, it is as if he has taken it upon himself to lift the club as much as possible.

Constantly involved in good news storys lately in the media, getting the Sharks brand and image out there, he brings so much to the team and the CLUB off the field as well as on it.

coolumsharkie

Referee
I love the Gal and I'm sure he agrees with whats written there but if thats Gals own words I'll eat my pc monitor.

M2D2

Bench
Gallen =
heart.gif

Card Shark

Immortal
There are some things in life that could be so much worse other than for 1 person or 1 thing. 3 things spring to mind in regards to different aspects of our club.
1. Gal
2. D. Irvine
3. Forefathers of the club who acquired the land we are relying on for survival.

Imagine where we'd be if 1 of those 3 never existed??

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Where will be 2. D Irvine be if the development is canned.

Lot of people counting chickens and laying it on a bit thick where Elmer is concerned.

Where's the list of what has actually been done so far?

Not planned for, not muted, not going to do yada yada yada

What's been done?

Here's the list of what hasn't been done

No new revenue streams
No reduction of loans
No money from Taupo
No advance money from consortium as promised before the bank canned that
No shoring up of Hisense or an alternative sponsor
No money to hire staff
No significant signings

It's all talk, talk, talk.

I'll get excited and back up on what I think when the results are there to see. Not before and not because the propaganda train has gone off prematurely with a pretty obvious agenda to try and make the glass look full. It's not.

You got me. Where are we now?

newman

First Grade
That's a pretty harsh assessment Frenzy. Very harsh in fact.

I know you dislike the bloke, but The cost cutting program that Irvine and Craig DOuglas put in place saved the club in the short term. No doubt about it. That alone is worth applauding.
The development consortium have done in 18 months what the previous board failed to do in 10 years. For a club our size we have one of the best, most professional and balanced boards imaginable. And that's not just me talking, you will get a similar assessment from P Gow and to am extent, B PIerce.

In terms of signings, when you consider Smith, GIbbs, Robson, Fifita and Best, while not being stellar they are acceptable for a club on our budget and standing. Add Gal for life on top of that and it's better than satisfactory

The club was terminal. Now we are walking again, but its not a short, nor easy road.

Irvine, a volunteer, shoulders alot of responsibility for the very fact that you even have a club to snipe at.

I he guides us through this stage and brings the plans to fruition, which I believe he will, he will possibly be the best administrator the club ever had.

Last edited:

newman

First Grade
No new revenue streams- what was the taupo deal?. The gaming section of the club has been upgraded with new machines and the membership structure re-designed to increase revenue. Game day operations have also had a major shake up, and there is a merchandise store.... A day at the park music festival? Remember that? Outdoor cinema during summer?
No reduction of loans- In March our debt will be reduced by 80%z
No money from Taupo- we got some money. You obviously aren't running a business in this environment. Poor product doesnt kill you, bad debts do. And EVERYONE has them from time to time.
No advance money from consortium as promised before the bank canned that- they changed the structure of the deal so the loan will be close to entirely reduced in March.
No shoring up of Hisense or an alternative sponsor- you don't think they are working on an alternative? Hi SEnse want to screw us, we either improve that situation or go elsewhere, it's being done.
No money to hire staff- that's because we are in a program of COST CUTTING. staff is an expense.
No significant signings- Jeremy Smith, Paul Gallen for life, and this week ,Carney.

It's all talk, talk, talk- No it's not. Planning and strategic development is different to talking. All the "talk" is backed up by real strategies to do things. Things that are actually happening right now.

Stinkler

Juniors
I love Gallen.

This adds to th reasons, from www.dailytelegraph.com.au

Shark rejects sea change
* WE couldn't help but spare a thought for hard nut Cronulla captain Paul Gallen as we watched Manly win this year's grand final.
Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler has twice tried to convince Gallen to walk away from the Shire to join the premiers. Given the plight of the Sharkies, plus a phone call from Nathan Tinkler trying to get him to Newcastle earlier this year, he must have been tempted.
But proving one-club players aren't dead in the NRL, Gallen this week signed on for life in the black, white and blue.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
That's the stock standard reply to the stock standard criticisms though.

Lots of planning, some minor action taken from the plans but no outcomes.

Until there are positive outcomes Elmer is not in line to die on the cross as the next Messiah no matter what his fans say or are encouraged to say.

Show me the money!

newman

First Grade
Why don't you just allow due process and wait until march before you go nailing him up then? As you are well aware, everything hinges on the development and the result of that will be known in 5 short months. Thats the tipping point.

newman

First Grade
So calling "show me the money" (like you DESERVE to see it or something) 5 months before there is any money to show, is a bit like saying "Show me a premiership!" in May. Stupid.

Serious question: what if the development gets up? Will you still be anti board then?

BigBadWilly

Juniors
There are some things in life that could be so much worse other than for 1 person or 1 thing. 3 things spring to mind in regards to different aspects of our club.

3. Forefathers of the club who acquired the land we are relying on for survival.

Well I will pass that on to my wife's step-dad I am sure he would love to hear that.

spider

Coach
There are new machines in there. Leased, purchased, I dunno.
conversions carry less than a fifth of the price tag and one could assume Docko has had an influence since coming onto the board

a boiled lollie is not a coronation chocolate, but its still a treat to an extent