What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop likens Storm fans to terrorists!

firechild

First Grade
Love how the written word can be twisted... & hate being pedantic but no....fan is the word (which means a follower of something etc) & is not a derivitive of any other word. The -atitic/al and -atiticism adds the obsessive OTT part to it, not the other way round.

So I guess that makes you the latest member of the ever-growing & widespread LU OTT loseratical cult that obsessively follows loseraticism (& yes, before you say it, there's no such words)

Merriam-Webster, the Oxford dictionary and other recognized sources define it as a shortened version of the word fanatic, and the word did first become popular in reference to an enthusiastic follower of a baseball team. (Fanatic itself, introduced into English around 1550, means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion". It comes from the Modern Latin fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired".)

firechild

First Grade
Who knows, maybe channel 9 can also be suspended for bringing the game into disrepute. They've been using the Brookvale brawl footage to promote the game. According to the NRL, that would be bad for the game.

StormChaser

First Grade
Hell yeah I'm a terrorist! Fuel up the plane motherf**kers, Sydney tower here I come!

What a load of shite.

I don't think Gallop the twat meant what he said to be taken the way it was, but geez what a f**king sook. So you got booed. Hoist up the hem of your petticoat you big wuss and toddle off, maybe you can grow a set whilst your at it.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
1. Terrorists are fanatics, not 'passionate', get real
2. Gallop made the analagy about terrorists, passion & bad behaviour in the interview when asked about the reception from Storm fans, hence the inference
3. FFS, in his ineptitude he managed to minimise the atrocious acts and escalate the harmless one (one that happens all over the world at every sports game)
4. We were all affected by those bombings in one way or another, naive to think otherwise, which is why using it like Gallop did has shown him up as a tool
5. He could have used another analagy but he's just not that bright or quick-witted

What would have been the reaction if Gallop had used the English/European football hooligan behaviour as the analagy instead? More related imo & better to make the point. Probably no reaction on here from all of you but given the widespread publicity his little gaffe has attracted I would bet there would be some top level inter-code discussion happening and a whole lot of s**t flying from the soccer plebs.

Gallop has nothing to fear from Al Quaeda & well, Storm fans can suck eggs right? because they only have their voices...and a bit of noise and opinion can't hurt anyone :sarcasm:

Terrorists are fanatics. Despite an earlier poster denying the link between 'fan' and 'fanatic', fan is a derivative of fanatic. As I now see someone has already pointed out.

Yes, Gallop managed to minimise the atrocious facts of 9/11, Bali, etc :sarcasm: . Please. You should write for the Daily Telegraph.

I'm not saying it was a wise analOgy, just that it has been blown out of ridiculous proportion by a lot of people using it to feed their own agenda of hating Gallop.

Here's a scenario for you: say Bellamy had've said the same thing at the height of all the cheating and booing last year. Storm fans would've excused it I've no doubt - saying much the same as the defendants are here - whilst the rest would be taking the opposite. Again, agendas.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Hell yeah I'm a terrorist! Fuel up the plane motherf**kers, Sydney tower here I come!

What a load of shite.

I don't think Gallop the twat meant what he said to be taken the way it was, but geez what a f**king sook. So you got booed. Hoist up the hem of your petticoat you big wuss and toddle off, maybe you can grow a set whilst your at it.

Your lot sooked when you were getting booed from pillar to post last year.

At least that time the boos had viable reasoning.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Terrorists are fanatics. Despite an earlier poster denying the link between 'fan' and 'fanatic', fan is a derivative of fanatic. As I now see someone has already pointed out.

Yes, Gallop managed to minimise the atrocious facts of 9/11, Bali, etc :sarcasm: . Please. You should write for the Daily Telegraph.

I'm not saying it was a wise analOgy, just that it has been blown out of ridiculous proportion by a lot of people using it to feed their own agenda of hating Gallop.

Here's a scenario for you: say Bellamy had've said the same thing at the height of all the cheating and booing last year. Storm fans would've excused it I've no doubt - saying much the same as the defendants are here - whilst the rest would be taking the opposite. Again, agendas.

Yeah, knew it when I was writing it...should've known it would be picked to pieces :oops: thought I might get away with it, and the spelling ...double :oops:
The Gallophate saga is more than just the latest faux pas of his, but everyone can (and will) argue that till the cows come home. But I will argue you this...Bellamy wouldn't say such a thing (I doubt he says anything impromptu or off the cuff outside of the coaches box). He's kept his own counsel pretty much for the past 18 months or so after the initial statement from him and the players. Asked a direct question he said how he felt - didn't bag anyone doing it. But hey, someone looking always finds something...with Gallop he hands it to you on a plate. I don't hate him, I just think he's not good enough to do the job he's meant to be doing.

STORM.99/07

Bench
Your lot sooked when you were getting booed from pillar to post last year.

At least that time the boos had viable reasoning.
Did you read what you wrote penny warrior.. we just didn`t get booed.. we got spat at,things thrown at us,abused the whole game,kids sworn at and pushed because we dare to wear our jersey proudly. To go to a game to watch your team and get threatened is NO FUN. It is downright scarey..Why should we get villified every week for supporting our team. IT IS ONLY A GAME..

betcats

Referee
Did you read what you wrote penny warrior.. we just didn`t get booed.. we got spat at,things thrown at us,abused the whole game,kids sworn at and pushed because we dare to wear our jersey proudly. To go to a game to watch your team and get threatened is NO FUN. It is downright scarey..Why should we get villified every week for supporting our team. IT IS ONLY A GAME..

Then why are u booing Gallop?

lturner

Juniors
Gallop must go.

What a thin-skinned, ham-fisted fool. Comparing your own sport's supporters to terrorists? Is he completely inept?

RHCP

Bench
Oh the irony.

firechild

First Grade

Fans of other clubs have recieved similar treatment and that was for supporting a club that did not cheat. Melbourne fans must realise that what they have copped, other fans have also copped in the past. There are disgraceful fans at every single club. Players and officials have also been spat at, had things thrown at them and been abused. Unfortunately it goes with the game and as much as we woudl like none of it to happen, it's not going to stop overnight.

Eels Dude

Coach

And you don't think it's the same for any fans when they're attending away games. Happens every single week for fans of every club. I've been abused by opposition fans before and I except I will again many more times in the future but I'm not going to blame the CEO of the NRL because of it.

lturner

Juniors
Where and when did he do that?

"I never really go for that whole passion line. I mean, terrorists are passionate about what they do and, you know, that doesn't make it right," Gallop said.
He was comparing the passionate behaviour of Melbourne supporters to the passionate behaviour of terrorists.

If the comment about terrorists was not intended as a comparison, why say it? What is it supposed to mean?

Whichever way you look at it, it was an extraordinarily stupid thing to say.

StormChaser

First Grade
Oh the irony.

Show me where I've sooked? I've been spat on, been kicked out of games for retaliating to abuse, and been absolutely hammered in public and in this forum, and for a while there I wasn't going to go to another game in Sydney, then i thought "Ah f**k it", do your worst knuckle draggers, if nobody is hating on you, you're not relevant.

Terrorists FTW, bitches!!!!!!!!!!!

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Storm fans are all for giving it to someone as long as they don't give it back. Sooks.

If you're too sensitive to accept criticism then don't criticise.