What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop pleads with Saints to move Home Final - $250k carrot

Evenflow

Bench
The titans and storm will both have strong home ground advantages, in venues that aren't all that big... Why should we not have that opportunity?

The Mexicans will be playing at Etihad stadium, a place where they rarely play so there won't be anywhere near the advantage of OP and it also holds over 50k

But what is more important winning or cash? I say winning and looking after your fan base.

How are you looking after your fan base when you'd be stopping 20K plus of your fans from seeing it? Ask them if they feel accommodated missing a game that they could've quite easily seen elsewhere. It's all well and good to say get in early for your tickets if it's played at Kogarah which i've read in other threads and is as simplistic as what it is stupid.

Fair enough if it were just a normal game but if every single person who wants to go to this game did that you'd still have the same amount of people missing out regardless of how early they purchased their tickets because the place only holds so many people.

Brutus

Referee
Yea why not play it at a park oval instead of an 85k seat stadium. And people wonder why the best sport in the world goes nowhere.

Spot on.

Playing it at Kogarah would be an absolute farce. It's not like Kogarah is the home ground for the entire season anyway.

Brutus

Referee
Were damned if we do and damned if we don't! :( But what is more important winning or cash? I say winning and looking after your fan base.

Well the Dragons have a 100 percent winning record at the SFS so far this year, so why not play it there.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Are they going to offer the same thing to the Titans if they have a home final against the Broncos? Would easily sell out Lang Park but I bet it doesn't get moved.

backdoor

Juniors
Are they going to offer the same thing to the Titans if they have a home final against the Broncos? Would easily sell out Lang Park but I bet it doesn't get moved.

It would appear that situation is not part of the Telegraph's agenda.
I wonder if the Telegraph would be applying the same type of negative approach towards any other club with a home ground of less than 30K ?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
by the way Kogarah holds max 21k now.....
The capacity was 20,500 and that was actually exceeded in Round 3. It was logistically too packed so it was then revised down to 19,000 for the Dogs game in Round 10.

Goddo

Bench
Its hard to work out what the best thing for St George is here.

Kogarah SFS
Home advantage v A cut of takings, possibly large, possibly small
Corporates/members v More fans
Sellout ground v Possibly half full

At the back of Dousts mind will be that we still need $10m from governments to finish the grandstand and that we should maximise our chances of winning.

Oh and NRL passes won't work at finals so no luck for the Masons. :(

Timmah, it was revised down to 19k full stop. It was reduced again for the dogs game to I think 18k because the Police and Council had security fears with Bulldog fans. There were also a lot of extra cops for that game. Justified given the finish I guess.

Last edited:
The NRL are hypocrites.

This time of the year teams usually complain about the finals and the NRL's response is "well they knew at the start of the year how the finals worked, too late to complain about it now..."

Now the NRL, who knew it was a possibility about playing at a smaller ground wants to changes the venue at late notice. f**k 'em. I hope St.George stick to their guns and play where they want, at home.

The NRL applying pressure to in effect change the finals by suggest a team gives up home advantage is just money grabbing, hiding behind "The good of the game" argument.

RufusRex

Post Whore
how could the NRL not see this when they made the rules surrounding week 1 of the finals?

But look at last years 1st weekend of finals ... Venues included Brookvale (23k max) and Endeavour (22.5k) (where was Rothfield then) ..

Yes it is unfortunate for those who miss out but it is the rules in which we work .. If you want a different set of rules then set them at the start of the year - the expectation has been set with clubs and fans regarding home ground advantage and that is how is should remain.

Dragon

Coach
foreverfuzzstill.jpg

LazyDreamer

Bench
Reckon if it is considered, then the players are the ones who should decide. Afterall, they're the ones out there each week slogging their guts out & earning the right to the home semi.

But, stuff 'em. This is little more than the Telegrap's continued anti-Dragon campaign. I hope the Sharks end up with the spoon only because it'd stick it up Rothfield.

Paullyboy

Coach
If the option is to move it to the SFS they should take it with open arms. If it was homebush I could understand them ignoring it.

Molly

Juniors
I really hope the club doesn't buckle to this pressure and keeps the game at Kogarah. If the NRL wants take large crowds for finals, then scrap the home venue option for top teams and have games played at certain venues. The titans and storm will both have strong home ground advantages, in venues that aren't all that big... Why should we not have that opportunity?

Absolutely agree with this. The Dragons should maintain their EARNED advantage and play the game where they decide.

Ribs

Bench
F*ck the Parramatta fans.

If they wanted to see their team play in the first final, they should have kindly asked their players not to play like busted homos for the first 15 rounds.

Latest posts