What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallops reception

counterpuncher

Juniors
No club welcomes Gallop with open arms - everyone has their own issues with him. Goes for the leader of every code - Demetriou cops it from every AFL club's fans, as does Buckley for the FFA. Fact of life.

Exactly. Bloke cops it every day as a matter of course. I'm pretty sure that by now it would be water off the ducks back.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Is this really a thread?? The only people booing Gallop will be deluded Storm bogans who somehow don't think their club did the wrong thing.

broncos2010

Juniors
I love it how you guys are all professionals and know everything. Most of you guys have no idea what goes on and how hard it is to do his job.

firechild

First Grade
No-one will ever convince me the Storm are 'cheats' but they were punished according to the rules. No-one calls Newcastle 'cheats' because of their drug habits or Manly because of their poaching.

Newcastle were cheats, the players got punished as per the rules but the club did not. The '96 GF is tainted.

Manly did nothing outside the rules and therefore did not cheat. Everything was above board and while other clubs didn't like it, there was no cheating involved. The NSWRL were always aware of the processes involved, including players sitting out of the competition for a season in order to be eligable for a move within the residency rules. Note the words in bold.

What Melbourne did was cheating in any sane person's book. They kept a separate set of books and knowlingly breached the rules. Surely anyone with half a brain can understand that delberately going against the rules is cheating.

Evenflow

Bench
But your club cheated. Is it that hard to comprehend? Fans of 15 other clubs over the last 5 years paid their hard-earned to attend matches, become members and buy club merchandise, while the Storm's fans benefited from consistent, deliberate and unfair cheating. You enjoyed years of jubilation and success at the hands of a cheating squad and opposition fans have every right to be upset. It's really as simple as that.

What? Just like your club got done for cheating as well, you can apply every single thing you said there but replace the Storm with the Bulldogs and it would be every bit as apt. The only difference being you were allowed to keep your illegally assembled squad to go on and win the premiership with it.

As i've said many times, i can cop the penalties that were handed down to the club and i can cop the abuse from other fans who's clubs haven't been done for it, but don't come in here with your holier than thou hypocritical bullshit bagging the Storm when your club has also been guilty of rorting the cap to the point of actually gaining a premiership directly from that cheating. Fair dinkum Tim there's really no words for your stupidity sometimes.

LESStar58

Referee
As far as I'm aware the last few seasons it's been presented in Round 26, to avoid any potential embarrassment of presenting it post-game after a first week finals loss (which has happened twice in the last four years).

Either way, Melbourne are hardly in a position to be dictating how the NRL runs itself.

The Masters article I read is that the NRL approached the Storm and asked for their preference as to when they want J.J. presented should Melbourne win the minor premiership. Ron Gauci told them his preference is that he wanted it done at the first home final and the NRL agreed to this.

If it was presented in round 26 it would be a travesty as it would be done in front of a very sparse crowd of Roosters fans (let's face it; the fact that they have not/are not doing well guarantees that very few people will be there).

Melbourne fans have been through quite a lot. What better way to start the healing process than to present something quite significant in front of a parochial Melbourne crowd?

Furthermore, the team has worked hard to accomplish the MP and earn a home final. They deserve to have this feat acknowledged in front of their home crowd along with all their mates who do not have the good fortune to be selected to play in the finals. Can you imagine if the Broncos won the minor premiership and had to have it presented in Sydney? The outrage north of the Tweed would be deafening.

thorson1987

Coach
What? Just like your club got done for cheating as well, you can apply every single thing you said there but replace the Storm with the Bulldogs and it would be every bit as apt. The only difference being you were allowed to keep your illegally assembled squad to go on and win the premiership with it.

As i've said many times, i can cop the penalties that were handed down to the club and i can cop the abuse from other fans who's clubs haven't been done for it, but don't come in here with your holier than thou hypocritical bullshit bagging the Storm when your club has also been guilty of rorting the cap to the point of actually gaining a premiership directly from that cheating. Fair dinkum Tim there's really no words for your stupidity sometimes.

:clap::clap::clap:

LESStar58

Referee
Storm are the only team that have kept things hush hush.

So the Bulldogs were telling all and sundry about their secret payments in 2002, were they?

Didn't someone at RLW earlier in the season state that he knew of at least 6 clubs still openly rorting the cap despite what happened last year but was not prepared to name names?

All it takes is one tiny little piece of evidence to be uncovered or some disgruntled ex-employee to blow the whistle and the whole salary cap saga can quite easily be repeated at another club. In fact, I'm sure we will see a similar salary cap rort see the light of day in the next decade... and it won't be at Melbourne.

LESStar58

Referee

This.

IIRC, the only player of note the Dogs lost after that season was Nigel Vangana and the rest of the players took paycuts. This did not happen in Melbourne which, in retrospect, turned out to be just fine. We seem to be doing okay without Ingliss, Tolman, White, Hoffman, Lima, Finch etc. It speaks more about the systems in place and the culture and work ethic of the club more than anything else.

mongoose

Coach
But your club cheated. Is it that hard to comprehend? Fans of 15 other clubs over the last 5 years paid their hard-earned to attend matches, become members and buy club merchandise, while the Storm's fans benefited from consistent, deliberate and unfair cheating. You enjoyed years of jubilation and success at the hands of a cheating squad and opposition fans have every right to be upset. It's really as simple as that.

Im a raiders fan, not Storm.

I never said the club didnt cheat and I didnt say fans of other clubs have no right to be upset. I'm saying theres a lot of people on these boards who treat the Storm fans and players as cheats when they are the ones who have been screwed over the most. How have they benefitted when everything there team accomplished from 2006 - 2009 has been wiped out. Then they have to support a team that were playing for nothing for a season. I can't comprehend how people think the fans deserve the punishment as well.

dollyhands

Juniors
So the Bulldogs were telling all and sundry about their secret payments in 2002, were they?

Didn't someone at RLW earlier in the season state that he knew of at least 6 clubs still openly rorting the cap despite what happened last year but was not prepared to name names?

All it takes is one tiny little piece of evidence to be uncovered or some disgruntled ex-employee to blow the whistle and the whole salary cap saga can quite easily be repeated at another club. In fact, I'm sure we will see a similar salary cap rort see the light of day in the next decade... and it won't be at Melbourne.
Alot of sarcasm in my post. This forum is full of deluded idiots thinking that Storm were the first/last to cheat the cap because they are the only ones to be caught lately (just look at timmah's last post, what an idiot) next time ill put a little:crazy: after my post.

Last edited:

dollyhands

Juniors
After reading about Brett Stewart "running from
The media" to avoid gallop questions, how will gallop be received by manly fri night???

Lowdown

Juniors
I imagine he'll get booed. Thing is, what do Melbourne (especially) and Manly fans feel he should have done differently?

I'll give you just too things, off the top of my head:

1. Demand Peter O'Sullivan be sacked immediately from the Roosters, since he was clearly implicated in the rorting by the NRL's own internal investigation and

2. Suspend the Agents immediately upon again, the clear findings from the NRL's own internal investigation that clearly demonstrated they were complicit in the rorting.

I'll leave it to you to now ponder why both of these have been conveniently and quietly forgotten about...

Gallop is tool. A spineless, gutless, patsy who hasn't got the balls to run the NRL - not now, and certainly not in the future.

Slammin_Saint89

Juniors
If all Melbourne fans are booing him because of the cheating scandal, that is just childish and ridiculous. However, I encourage storm fans to make banner after banner going on about channel 9's coverage of league and how he should be doing more to make them accountable. It's a disgrace and melbourne have been shunned for too long.

oval

Juniors

Brutus

Referee
The Masters article I read is that the NRL approached the Storm and asked for their preference as to when they want J.J. presented should Melbourne win the minor premiership. Ron Gauci told them his preference is that he wanted it done at the first home final and the NRL agreed to this.

If it was presented in round 26 it would be a travesty as it would be done in front of a very sparse crowd of Roosters fans (let's face it; the fact that they have not/are not doing well guarantees that very few people will be there).

Melbourne fans have been through quite a lot. What better way to start the healing process than to present something quite significant in front of a parochial Melbourne crowd?

Furthermore, the team has worked hard to accomplish the MP and earn a home final. They deserve to have this feat acknowledged in front of their home crowd along with all their mates who do not have the good fortune to be selected to play in the finals. Can you imagine if the Broncos won the minor premiership and had to have it presented in Sydney? The outrage north of the Tweed would be deafening.

Fully agree.

Wk 1 of the finals at AAMI Park is the ideal time to do it.

Evenflow

Bench
If all Melbourne fans are booing him because of the cheating scandal, that is just childish and ridiculous. However, I encourage storm fans to make banner after banner going on about channel 9's coverage of league and how he should be doing more to make them accountable. It's a disgrace and melbourne have been shunned for too long.

That's the whole thing though, even if Storm fans boo him for several other reasons other than the cap thing the usual suspects around here will instantly think it's soley because of that and won't be able to criticize us quick enough regardless of what the reasons are.

The ironic/hypocritical thing is these are the same dickheads that bitch and moan about Gallop on here every second day about how incompetent the bloke is and would be the first to boo him at any ground he was attending, yet they'll also be the first to bag shit out of Storm fans for doing exactly the same thing.