What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallops reception

mongoose

Coach
It wasn't just 2 sides they robbed, it was every club. And that's coming from myself whose side was eliminated from the finals by the Storm in 2006, 2007 and 2009 and probably copped it the worst.

But in reality any team that was eliminated by the Storm in any of the finals series between 2006 and 2009 were robbed of the opportunity to win a premiership. The Tigers even in 2009 would have finished 8th had the Storm been caught earlier, and who knows they could have gone on a glory run and won the comp in 2009.

Your own side Manly could have gone back to back had the Storm not eliminated your club in the first round of the semis in '09. We'll never know.

Poor Eels :-({|=:-({|=

The hardest done by from all this is the Storm fans, you know the ones who get no favours from the NRL, little to no TV coverage and AFL rammed down their throats. Yet there are some dopey simpletons from Sydney who lable the fans as cheats just by association.

flamin

Juniors
Storm got off light. All their contracts should have become null and void and they should have had to start signing their players again. That's a correct punishment.
No it's not because all the players could have taken pay cuts and they could have kept their same roster. Being forced to pay what they said they would pay was the correct punishment.

Eels Dude

Coach
No it's not because all the players could have taken pay cuts and they could have kept their same roster. Being forced to pay what they said they would pay was the correct punishment.

No they couldn't. You're not allowed to re-structure contracts once they're signed on the dotted line. They changed that rule after the Bulldogs rorted in 2002.

LESStar58

Referee
Serious question; what rules were changed to allow Storm to keep key players?

They were not allowed to take paycuts like the Dogs did (and only shed one name player in Nigel Vangana). Obviously the contracts of Slater, Cronk and Smith had to be honored because they stayed but of all the players that left (Hoffman, Inglis, White etc) never really wanted to leave. Would have taken paycuts to stay but the NRL outlawed it.

Eels Dude

Coach
Serious question; what rules were changed to allow Storm to keep key players?

They were not allowed to take paycuts like the Dogs did (and only shed one name player in Nigel Vangana). Obviously the contracts of Slater, Cronk and Smith had to be honored because they stayed but of all the players that left (Hoffman, Inglis, White etc) never really wanted to leave. Would have taken paycuts to stay but the NRL outlawed it.

Relaxing of third party deals. Cameron Smith's deal with Fox which was previously considered illegal is now recognised as legal under salary cap rules.

Evenflow

Bench

The hardest done by from all this is the Storm fans, you know the ones who get no favours from the NRL, little to no TV coverage and AFL rammed down their throats. Yet there are some dopey simpletons from Sydney who lable the fans as cheats just by association.

These are the very same hypocritical dickheads who criticized any Storm fans who may have walked away after last years debacle then in the same breath also bagging shit out of the ones that stayed loyally staunch to their club and the game by sticking by them. They also couldn't fathom how we could possibly still support the "cheating scum" and even suggesting we should be embarrassed for doing so :crazy:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Storm winning the minor premiership despite all that happened last year and the decimation of their squad will go down as one of the greatest efforts by a club in the history of the game. Bellamy deserves coach of the decade for how he has kept the purple machine going in the face of what happened and how he continually turns no hopers into premiership winning players.

flamin

Juniors
No they couldn't. You're not allowed to re-structure contracts once they're signed on the dotted line. They changed that rule after the Bulldogs rorted in 2002.
That's what I said. I was replying to jason_taylor who said they should have done all new contracts.

LESStar58

Referee
Relaxing of third party deals. Cameron Smith's deal with Fox which was previously considered illegal is now recognised as legal under salary cap rules.

Right then, thanks. Vaguely remember this.

Still, the relaxing of third party payments and related issues was around a long time before the events of last year. Remember Matt Orford's move to Manly and the flat they set him up in? I remember a kerfuffle being made about that.

dollyhands

Juniors

Still, the relaxing of third party payments and related issues was around a long time before the events of last year. Remember Matt Orford's move to Manly and the flat they set him up in? I remember a kerfuffle being made about that.
Don't start bringing other clubs into this. Storm are the only team that have kept things hush hush. I'm sure all of Manlys dealings are fine. What would be wrong with giving him a flat??? It's not like it was a boat or anything

Perth Red

Post Whore

not to mention Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer, not exactly the first time the NRL has relaxed these rules.

Rexxy

Coach
What about the extra 5 million grant. They have won jack shit until all monies given to clubs are equal.

Eels Dude

Coach

I don't recall the Orford situation but players are allowed 'relocation payments' payments from clubs that don't count under the salary cap so you're more than likely spot on. I don't mind changes to the salary cap rules, but I don't think changes should come as a direct result of teams cheating and to help them get under the cap again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What about the extra 5 million grant. They have won jack shit until all monies given to clubs are equal.

That's like saying that clubs shouldn't receive extra income from Leagues clubs or rich owners unless all clubs have them! News would take the $'s out of RL anyway, the fact they are putting some of it back into a club they own is not a bad thing!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No one thnks that, you've pulled that from your backside. Anyone though who expects gallop to be welcomed with open arms is the moron.
No club welcomes Gallop with open arms - everyone has their own issues with him. Goes for the leader of every code - Demetriou cops it from every AFL club's fans, as does Buckley for the FFA. Fact of life. The thing is - if they're complaining about the Storm being eliminated in 2010 and having two trophies removed, then they're f**king morons themselves - the club's former managers are the ones who wronged them, not D. Gallop.
Well they were wronged...
Who was wronged sorry? If you're suggesting Melbourne were wronged, can you outline why? :?
He'll be giving the shield at the last game against the Roosters is what I'm told. What a cop out. He did what he had to do by punishing us but he won't come down and present Storm with the MP shield because of fear of a backlash? He'll get booed and jeered? Big f**king deal. Imagine if the Broncos won the MP and had it presented at an away game...
As far as I'm aware the last few seasons it's been presented in Round 26, to avoid any potential embarrassment of presenting it post-game after a first week finals loss (which has happened twice in the last four years).

Either way, Melbourne are hardly in a position to be dictating how the NRL runs itself.
You gronks are the one with the siege mentality. Your team does wrong by the game of RL and basically made seasons 2006-2010 redundant and you sit there with a straight face at the rest of the community and say Gallop did wrong by the Melbourne Storm?

f**k off, your club should be banished and burned from the ground up and thrown in to the RL dumpster.
Can't say I recall us agreeing but :clap: :clap:

But your club cheated. Is it that hard to comprehend? Fans of 15 other clubs over the last 5 years paid their hard-earned to attend matches, become members and buy club merchandise, while the Storm's fans benefited from consistent, deliberate and unfair cheating. You enjoyed years of jubilation and success at the hands of a cheating squad and opposition fans have every right to be upset. It's really as simple as that.

POPEYE

Coach
What storm fans are like that?

i'll admit there are a few (butters, popeye) but the majority of us were ok with the punishment.

As i have said before the game comes before any team, coach, player.

Who said I wasn't ok with the punishment? Amazing the number of people on here only read what they want to. Rules are rules . . . even AG could comprehend that.

What I vigorously campaign against is the justice in the rules.

If I, like many other league supporters, can defeat mediocracy by calling for changes to the salary cap and thereby help to initiate them all the better.

No-one will ever convince me the Storm are 'cheats' but they were punished according to the rules. No-one calls Newcastle 'cheats' because of their drug habits or Manly because of their poaching.

You can take all the bling away from the Storm but the memories of the players and supporters are intact. They don't need to feel guilty for anything.

With just a little luck the Storm will be remembered in years to come as the Robin Hood of League . . . bringing justice to the tyranny of the salary cap.

LESStar58

Referee
Don't start bringing other clubs into this. Storm are the only team that have kept things hush hush. I'm sure all of Manlys dealings are fine. What would be wrong with giving him a flat??? It's not like it was a boat or anything

There was a LOT of conjecture at the time over wether or not it counted as part of the cap IIRC.

I personally think it was only a matter of time before they relaxed payments and raised the cap. If the Storm cap rort had never happened it was only going to be a matter of time before it came up...