What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game day V Sharks (round 23)

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Welcome to game day.

Things are really heating up in Dragon land and the pressure cooker is near boiling point.
Today's game could well determine the future of so many with McGregor and Marshall right in the thick of it.

Somehow I have the feeling we can win this one (foolish I know)

2 big questions for the team

1. Will he drop Marshall and replace him with Hutchinson?
2. If Leilua gets a start is that a sign he's more likely to re-sign? or no start and sent back to the U20's an indication he's going elsewhere?

Those who can should get along to see the U20's and give them some home ground support, they have a tough one against the young Sharks (5th V 7th) and coming after a 2 game losing streak. A win would leap them temporarily into 3rd on the ladder.

Best of luck Dragons fans!

dragon thomo

Juniors
If this young fellow signs with someone else mcgregor should be axed immediately. By the way whatsTodd Carney doing

Dea

Juniors
Over the last 5 weeks we have managed to score 6, 12, 12, 10 & 8 points. Below even our season average of 13. In the same period the Sharks have scored 26, 32, 36, 18 & 14 with a season average of 26. Even with a loss they score more then we can.

We had half a game with some attack against the Dog when we abandoned Mary's attacking structures but still managed only 10 points in the game. The following week it was "business as usual" and 1 try.

No feeling in my bones we can win this.

Old Timer

Coach
Interesting to see the team list and how the club views loyalty.

Benji has been horrible and will not be at the club next year and despite a confrontation with the coach still gets picked in 1st grade.

Whilst I am a bit of a Cooper fan (when he plays front row) he is actually leaving at the end of the year inside his contract period.

We stick by these guys but show little loyalty to some of the juniors who have progressed through the ranks and stayed within our system waiting for a chance at the top grade.

The season is done and dusted and the only thing we can salvage is the blooding of junior stocks and giving them hope of a future at the club and we still don't do it with any real conviction.

Jason Taylor has put his position on the line and rolled the dice and may very well come out a winner so good luck to him and his bunch of talented juniors.

Sigurd

Juniors

Benji has been horrible and will not be at the club next year and despite a confrontation with the coach still gets picked in 1st grade.

Whilst I am a bit of a Cooper fan (when he plays front row) he is actually leaving at the end of the year inside his contract period.

We stick by these guys but show little loyalty to some of the juniors who have progressed through the ranks and stayed within our system waiting for a chance at the top grade.

The season is done and dusted and the only thing we can salvage is the blooding of junior stocks and giving them hope of a future at the club and we still don't do it with any real conviction.

Jason Taylor has put his position on the line and rolled the dice and may very well come out a winner so good luck to him and his bunch of talented juniors.

But the scary thing is, Marshall hasn't been the worst. Lafai, Widdop and Rein have him covered. At least Lafai is gone.

hazzbeen

Bench

Well said mate really Mary should be blooding the young blokes the season is gone . Try some new combinations . Since Mary has taken over we have gone backwards , What has Mary done over the past year that is a improvement ? Apart from setting a record for 7 straight losses can't think of any ....

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Whilst I agree with what your saying and we do need to see if our juniors can handle the rigours of 1st grade, the situation is wether you rob Peter to pay Paul.
Taking the best juniors away from their teams may be perilous to their finals chances and this was proven over the last 2 weeks with our U20's with losses against lower positioned teams. They were without Leilua, Dufty, Robson and Garrick has been injured. They now sit outside the top 4 with a hard game today against the 7th placed Sharks. Then they play the 3rd placed Roosters, the 4th placed Eels and finally the 10th placed Knights. A series of losses, given the tightness of the table, they could even miss the 8. THat would be a disaster.
The Cutters are 2nd and whilst their run into the finals seem easier, they still want to finish in the top 4 and the jockeying for positions in that comp is also tight.

Again, and I stress, I agree with what your saying and every player want s to play 1st grade, that's a given, but our 1st grade is shot. A comparison to the Tigers can't be entertained due to the real fact they are still in the running for a finals spot. If they drop out, I'm sure those juniors will drop back to their respective lower grades where their U20's are also in contention as are their NSW cup team.

It just goes to show how poorly our 1st grade has travelled this year, whereas our lower grades have exceeded expectations. The Cutters almost finished as wooden spooners last season, now sit 2nd. The U20's were competitive without being a threat, this year they're right up there.
Common denominator, the coach.

The Doc

Juniors
I read an article in the smh saying Dugan is back and quoting him as saying "our semi final chances are slim".
I think its a view shared by mary so he is sticking to the old safety first approach with the hope the experienced players perform.
Regardless though, me personally, id rather see the players who wont be with us next year dropped and replaced by kids that could benefit us next year.
This is the time to blood some youngsters, let them get a proper taste of first grade.
I understand the 20s and cutters are in with a good chance this year... but we need to get first grade ready for next year... some of these youngsters could save us having to search for too many players in the off season!
Leilua gives us another forward up front with host and big Mose to return in 2017.
3 big boys to replace one forward leaving (cooper).
We need to try a half... that is so important as not many are available for 2017.
Hooker isnt a problem, with the farah saga dragging, a hooker will pop up...
Wont be a cam smith but whoever it is will be an upgrade on rein.
Time to prepare for 2017 from now.

since77

Juniors
I read an article in the smh saying Dugan is back and quoting him as saying "our semi final chances are slim".
I think its a view shared by mary so he is sticking to the old safety first approach with the hope the experienced players perform.
Regardless though, me personally, id rather see the players who wont be with us next year dropped and replaced by kids that could benefit us next year.
This is the time to blood some youngsters, let them get a proper taste of first grade.
I understand the 20s and cutters are in with a good chance this year... but we need to get first grade ready for next year... some of these youngsters could save us having to search for too many players in the off season!

Time to prepare for 2017 from now.

Yeah, but what you're saying makes too much sense.

Old Timer

Coach
Hi DS
Of course I am bit old school and believe everything is expendable for the sake of 1st grade on the proviso that we are going to achieve a positive outcome.
If we drop a player back to U/20's who make the finals and maybe win a GF and we failed to sign him that would achieve nothing on the other hand if we give him a good taste of 1st grade and they show us enough to retain them in that squad then that IMO is a better long term outcome.
The conundrum is, we have had plenty of stella U/20's who we didn't try in 1st grade and they left and didn't make it at the other club either, however we have a few we didn't try and the the left and did succeed in a big way at another club so IMO I would like to try before someone else buys.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hi DS
Of course I am bit old school and believe everything is expendable for the sake of 1st grade on the proviso that we are going to achieve a positive outcome.
If we drop a player back to U/20's who make the finals and maybe win a GF and we failed to sign him that would achieve nothing on the other hand if we give him a good taste of 1st grade and they show us enough to retain them in that squad then that IMO is a better long term outcome.
The conundrum is, we have had plenty of stella U/20's who we didn't try in 1st grade and they left and didn't make it at the other club either, however we have a few we didn't try and the the left and did succeed in a big way at another club so IMO I would like to try before someone else buys.

Hey OT
As I said I agree with you.
We already have Host (still U20's) and Leilua (still U20's and I think he will get a run today, but we'll know when the U20's late mail is announced) who've played and delivered.

I suppose if we were to promote some juniors we'd look at:
Hutch > Benji
Sele (still U20's but already playing NSW cup) > Marketo
Dufty > ? seeing that Dugan is back and if you use Mann on the wing and Hutch in the halves, what position would you play him.
Garrick > injured at present
I Thompson > see Dufty above

I can't think of anyone else that would be playing at a standard to be considered for 1st's, unless you have some ideas.

Another angle which is frightening is the fact if we promote these young guys, they absolutely blitz it and we string together some wins, Mcgregor will claim he coached them and now has a mandate not only for next year but for an extension. Or, if they fail to live up to the hype, he will easily lay the blame on their development well and truly at the feet of the other coaches. Either way we loose.

That terrifies me TBH.

mobels

Juniors
Have a feeling that tonights game will be much closer than most people think. Hope Mann has an absolute blinder tonight, in some sort of redemption from the horror of an afternoon back in round 2.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
U20's team announced, Leilua not listed, so he may get a run in 1st's.
Isaac Thompson drops back fro NSW cup, who will take his spot? My guess is Matthews

Latest posts