What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game in Whangarei

Rich102

Staff member
Anyone seen any details?
I have looked on the Warriors site for details, but nothing there.

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
Saturday, February 19 – Toll Stadium, Whangarei
3.00pm: Vodafone Junior Warriors v Otahuhu Leopards (Fox Memorial)
5.00pm: Vodafone Warriors v Burleigh Bears

Tickets available from Ticket Direct (www.ticketdirect.co.nz or 0800 4 TICKET) and Toll Stadium
reception. Grandstand: $15, Adult: $10, Child or Terraces and Embankment: $10 Adult, $5 Child.
There are also hospitality options available for corporate and public guests.

Rich102

Staff member
The central stand is booked out - tickets are only available way off centre.
Ground admission still available.

AliN

Live Update Team
Really good advertising up here for the game.
Will be a good local crowd, with quite a few travelling from far away..

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.warriors.co.nz/news/807/Maloney-to-make-first-appearance-of-year-in-Whangarei

Maloney to make first appearance of year in Whangarei

Vodafone Warriors standoff James Maloney will make his first appearance of the year in Saturday’s NRL trial against Queensland Cup side the Burleigh Bears at Whangarei’s Toll Stadium.

After missing the Greymouth match against Newcastle, the club’s 2010 NRL Young Player of the Year was an original selection for last Saturday’s encounter with Parramatta in Rotorua, only to be ruled out through illness.

Formerly with Parramatta and Melbourne, Maloney (24) had an outstanding 2010 season when he scored 188 points including 10 tries in his first full NRL campaign. It put him in contention for Dally M recognition and he was on the shortlist for the standoff of the year at the Rugby League International Federation’s awards announced at Eden Park last November. Maloney also won selection in the Australian Prime Minister’s XIII which travelled to Port Moresby to play Papua New Guinea.

The Vodafone Warriors will again take their full NRL squad for this trial, as they did for the trips to the West Coast and Greymouth.

Of the club’s four major signings three will play. The much-decorated Shaun Berrigan, used at hooker and in the centres in the match against Newcastle, will have his second outing for the Vodafone Warriors after being rested against the Eels while former Parramatta centre-winger Krisnan Inu will play his third straight trial as will forward Steve Rapira, back home after two years with the North Queensland Cowboys.

The younger Rapira will have older brother and Kiwi international Sam with him again after they played together for the first time in a Vodafone Warriors team last weekend. Among the others playing for the third consecutive week are utilities Kevin Locke, the exciting Glen Fisiiahi (four tries in his first two NRL trials) and Elijah Taylor, back rowers Ukuma Ta’ai, Ben Henry and Matt Robinson, hooker Alehana Mara and halfback Pita Godinet. Taylor will hold special interest, having lived in Kaitaia (and played age group representative rugby union for Northland) before joining the Vodafone Warriors; Locke also has strong family connections in Northland.

Playing for the second time will be prop Ben Matulino, who was in the Kiwis’ line-up for their victory against Australia in last year’s Four Nations final. Joining Maloney in his first trial this year will be prop Upu Poching while a special feature of the selection is the inclusion of three members of the 2010 NYC premiership-winning Vodafone Junior Warriors – standoff Carlos Tuimavave, winger Omar Slaimankhel and second rower Sam Lousi – who are all poised to play in the first-grade side for the first time. All three are again eligible for the NYC this year along with Henry. In all eight players in Saturday’s squad were key performers for the Vodafone Junior Warriors in 2010, the club’s first team to win a title.

“We’re still keen to look at different players and combinations and this weekend we’re also looking to give Carlos, Omar and Sam a taste of playing at the next level. It’s a good opportunity for them,” said Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary.

“Ultimately this is all about building towards our final trial against Manly (February 26 at North Harbour Stadium) and, above all, our first NRL game of the year against the Eels at Eden Park (March 12).”

Captain Simon Mannering and fullback Lance Hohaia have been held out of trials action following their heavy commitments last season with both the Vodafone Warriors and the Kiwis. They’re expected to be used for the only time in the trials against Manly before the ‘Battle of Eden’ against the Eels on March 12.

The Vodafone Warriors travel by bus to Whangarei on Friday morning and will have a training session open to the public at Toll Stadium at 3.00pm. There’ll be a signing session after the run.

The Vodafone Junior Warriors will play in the curtain raiser on Saturday, lining up against Auckland club champions the Otahuhu Leopards, who won the Fox Memorial last year.

•Tickets available from Ticket Direct (http://www.ticketdirect.co.nz/ or 0800 4 TICKET) and Toll Stadium reception. Grandstand: $15, Adult: $10, Child or Terraces and Embankment: $10 Adult, $5 Child. There are also hospitality options available for corporate and public guests.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v BURLEIGH BEARS
Toll Stadium, Whangarei
5.00pm, Saturday, February 19

VODAFONE WARRIORS

SHAUN BERRIGAN
GLEN FISIIAHI
PITA GODINET
JAMES GAVET
BEN HENRY
SAULALA HOUMA
KRISNAN INU
ISAAC JOHN
KEVIN LOCKE
SAM LOUSI
JAMES MALONEY
ALEHANA MARA
BEN MATULINO
UPU POCHING
SAM RAPIRA
STEVE RAPIRA
MATT ROBINSON
OMAR SLAIMANKHEL
UKUMA TA’AI
ELIJAH TAYLOR
CARLOS TUIMAVAVE
BILL TUPOU

COACH: IVAN CLEARY

hitman82

Bench
Cool to see Godinet and Fisiiahi getting another run... no Seymour though? I would have expected Cleary to want him and Maloney to play together since it's nearing the end of trial season.

Would anyone take (mini)Rapira over Luck as our 13, just out of interest?

Rich102

Staff member
Interesting question. I haven't seen enough of Steve to answer but I am thinking we can't play Mannering & Luck together. Though both are very good, and 80 min footballers, they are too similar in style. Both defence oriented. I would put Mannering at lock and alternate Mateo, Brown & Ta'ai in the second row.

ozbash

Referee
Really rate Steve Rapira but I think Luck is worth his weight in gold on defence.

Steve Rapira would be the hardest hitter in that team.

JAG

Juniors
Really good advertising up here for the game.
Will be a good local crowd, with quite a few travelling from far away..

Like me! :D

Not been overwhelmed by little Rapira so far. Hasn't done much wrong but not exactly spectacular although, to be fair, I haven't seen enough of him yet to really give a verdict.

Lil Rapira will surpass Big Rapira when given a good shot.
When we let him go to the Cowboys I was really pissed that he left
Glad to see him back where he belongs, Our depth is so good this year in a way I hope their are some injuries so i can see some untested stars unleash

Rich102

Staff member
Glad to see him back where he belongs, Our depth is so good this year in a way I hope their are some injuries so i can see some untested stars unleash

Or you could go to a Vulcan's game!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Not sure I agree with that. Sam is a powerhouse - one of the best 3-4 props in the world for mine when fit.

Steve is a great defender but I'm not sure he's going to offer all that much on attack. I don't see him playing more than 6-7 games this season in any case.

Skinner

Coach
When they were much younger playing for Waicoa Bay, a good few folk rated Steve above Sam. I was not one of them. I reckon Sam has really matured as a prop. At 23 years he is still very young and will only get better.

I'll watch Steve with interest, although I agree that this year anyway, he will probably be with the Vulcans. I actually think that he was a strategic signing ;-)

ozbash

Referee
Well, a great afternoon at Toll.

Otahuhu came back at a bunch of unknown Junior Warriors. Juniors won 34=28 (something like that). good game, Willie Heta is still going strong.

Bears v Warriors was good as well. Maloney and Issac John were given plenty of time together and looked very good. Maloney was very dominant in all aspects, all over the park.
Rapira bros, Ukuma Taia and Benny started, just total brutality.

Berrigan was good, so was Locke, Fisiasi, Ellijah Tayler

Wasnt impressed with Inu.

2nd half saw a heap of last years under 20's play. Sam Lousi is an awesome talent, same Gavat.

Be interesting to see who Ives picks next weekend, just so many options.

30-0

NZ Warriors 30 (Kevin Locke 2, Krisnan Inu, Johnny Aranga, Glen Fisiiahi, Alehana Mara tries; James Maloney 2 cons; Krisnan Inu con) Burleigh Bears 0. Halftime: 16-0 Warriors.