What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones VIII

Danish

Referee
What a meek ending to what could have been one of the greatest shows in TV history.

It’s truly baffling how a show could spin so out of control in just 3 episodes.

Shame

Apey

Staff member
I thought it was pretty good and I've been a huge critic of the previous episodes.

PJ

First Grade
Didn't mind that last episode to be honest, but some parts missing for mine

Would have liked to have seen how John was found in throne room

Really don't see how Bran would have taken the crown

Apey

Staff member
There was still some dumb shit but for whatever reason it didn't ruin the episode for me like previous ones.

hello dothraki you seem to be multiplying

hello yara you're laughing at the people picking their own leader but thats what the ironborn do

daenarys death was... kinda swiftly glossed over. guess it was a time thing again

Valheru

Coach
What a train wreck of a final season.

They butchered it, no two ways about it.

Can someone tell me the exact reason that such a big deal was made of Jon's lineage? It had no bearing on what happened.

They fell in love prior to either knowing his true identity so he just as easy could have been the one person thay could get close enough to kill her without being a known targaryan.

Has there ever been a character with thicker plot armour than tyrion? I find it impossible that dany would not have executed him on the spot.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Liked the first half of the episode, I don't mind how Dany's story wrapped up. But the second half was kind of deflating.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
What a train wreck of a final season.

They butchered it, no two ways about it.

Can someone tell me the exact reason that such a big deal was made of Jon's lineage? It had no bearing on what happened.

They fell in love prior to either knowing his true identity so he just as easy could have been the one person thay could get close enough to kill her without being a known targaryan.

Has there ever been a character with thicker plot armour than tyrion? I find it impossible that dany would not have executed him on the spot.

I would also absolutely LOVE for anyone to try and justify how exactly Jon Snow managed to become a prisoner of the unsullied. Grey worm was slitting throats in the street, but he's apparently happy to let the person who just murdered his queen sit in a cell.

While we are at it, why did Bran need to become the 3 eyed raven exactly? He did quite literally nothing with his powers. He is also now more than happy to be Brandon Stark again, despite saying he is no longer that person anymore. We are also to seemingly believe that Bran will just live and die like a normal human or something? Wasn't the previous 3 eyed raven sitting in that tree for like 1000 years waiting for Bran to show up?

Lets see, what else. Ah yes, what in the holy f**k was Brom doing on the small counsel. In fact, what the f**k was that entire scene? Felt like something out of one of the shittier Marvel movies.

Oh, and them all laughing at Sam's suggestion of democracy.... utter trash.

The entire series is now unwatchable because of how shit the last 2 episodes were.

Swarzey

Bench
I made my peace with the ending. /r/FreeFolk made the pain of it easy over the last few weeks. I accepted the show had turned to shit but the reality is I was never someone who read books until I read A Song of Ice and Fire and I was over the moon when HBO turned it into a TV show. As shit as it has become, its been an incredible journey. I really couldn't let the last month ruin it.

Dany's death felt a bit anticlimactic. Maybe I expected more from it but it lacked the tension I had hoped. I've got no issue with the new council and in a way, it makes sense; Bronn's place is the result of his deal with Tyrion and I guess reinforces that the "Lannisters always pay their debts". It just took up far too much time, only to really give us a tribute to the actual name of the books and remind us that Drogon is still alive; neither of which were really needed although I couldn't help but smile at the book homage. Bran being king kind of makes sense; passive, not fueled by self interests like those who chased the throne and who died on it and has more knowledge over whats happening, has happen and will happen than anyone else alive.

Jon's exile is my biggest frustration with the ending though. His exile was a way to please Grey Worm who eventually left for Naath which sure, makes sense, but it lacks logic as to why he would stay there with the Unsullied leaving Westeroes. In the books his lineage will likely be more consequential; with Dany's madness, it would reinforce the rest of the Kingdoms belief that the Targaryen family will always be more like Aerys than Aegon The Conqueror or Aemon. However, if in the show nobody but a small circle of people ever truly knew his lineage, then why would he remain exiled? But I guess given how they butchered every story but perhaps Arya and the Hound's, it shouldn't surprise me they f**ked Jon's up right at the end.

This season hasn't ruined the whole series for me, I'll gladly rewatch it again. It's a shame I need to wait for books that could possibly never arrive to get the proper ending to the series though.

azzah72

Bench
I was fine with it and generally didn't hate the last season like others.

Some people are saying it worse than Dexter S8 which is blasphemy!

Who actually won the game though?

Swarzey

Bench
The idea of it being a game or a contest was always one between Littlefinger and Varys playing a role in manipulating some events to be in a position of power and influence beneath their chosen King or Queen, but the show f**ked that up so tremendously with Littlefinger and reduced Varys to just a Master of Whispers role.

You could say Bran won, but he never wanted it. Sansa won because she won the North and returned it to the dependent state it was before Aegon's conquest. Tyrion won because he's the last surviving Lannister despite being the most unloved and most outcasted. Jon won because he now lives a life where he no longer needs to fear a greater threat and lives a life without titles or baggage.

or D&D won because they were lucky enough to find success despite being shit and incompetent.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I was fine with it and generally didn't hate the last season like others.

Some people are saying it worse than Dexter S8 which is blasphemy!

Who actually won the game though?
Sansa, she won back the North and became a queen.

greenBV4

Bench
I though it was.. ok...

nothing more nothing less, Looking forward to the books getting done and filling in the gaps.

Jon being sent back to the nights watch was kinda funny, but pointless, whats the point of the nights watch now? and they all just left anyway. Would've made more sense to say he was banished north of the wall. But then the North remained a seperate kingdom so why not just banish him there?

PJ

First Grade
Or why not just tell him to head north for a while, wait for the Unsullied to go away and then let him do what he wants.

And why would no other kingdom not want to break away since it was so easy. Always had the impression that the Iron Islands were there as reluctantly as anyone.

Apey

Staff member
But I guess given how they butchered every story but perhaps Arya and the Hound's

It's funny because I think Arya's is one of the worst they f**ked up.

I think the episode was good given what they created in the previous two, if that makes sense. The season as a whole still sucked.

Timbo

Staff member
What utter tripe this final season was.

So, real quick, Bran of the North is now king. The North is now independent. So the ruler of Westeros is a foreigner.

If there was a ninth season, episode one would be someone usurping Bran.

Jesus f**king Christ. What a complete shamozzle.

Pommy

Coach
What utter tripe this final season was.

So, real quick, Bran of the North is now king. The North is now independent. So the ruler of Westeros is a foreigner.

If there was a ninth season, episode one would be someone usurping Bran.

Jesus f**king Christ. What a complete shamozzle.

I mean historically and in the present day foreign rulers aren’t uncommon. England was ruled by houses from France, Scotland, Holland, present day Germany and probably a load more. They weren’t always unpopular changes either.

I’m not saying the last season wasn’t shit but that’s issue is way down the list.

Apey

Staff member
It actually triggers me that people are pointing out Arya didn't kill anyone with green eyes from the "prophecy". Her whole season 8 story was retconned so who cares. Sorry if you bought the BS that Melisandre's comments back in the early seasons were foreshadowing her killing the Night King but they literally changed the order of the eyes when Melisandre said it again in Season 8 in an attempt to make her arc seem legit.