What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint.nick

Coach
I never said a thing about them trying to get it out of the way.

'Lazy' could either imply that they wanted to get it out of the way, or they weren't really bothered with putting satisfactory effort into it. Either way, it's something unfair to accuse them of.

perverse

Referee
I was wondering, since we're out of book territory now, whether the producers had actually written in a failed resurrection attempt purely as a response to the online theories about Melisandre being at Castle Black at the same time as Snow dying. It would be a very good way to hammer home to the audience that yes, he is dead and we just tried to resurrect him and failed... so shut up because Jon is DEAD. By executing one of the leading theories on Jon on-screen, and failing with it, it would have largely put the issue to bed.

So, during the resurrection scene I was very much on the edge of my seat until his eyes opened. I thought it was executed really well, and I too am glad they brought it up front to episode 2 rather than dragging it out all season. I think dragging it out would have been far more "predictable".

Misanthrope

Staff member
My sentiments exactly. We always knew he was going to be coming back from the dead, even book readers didn't buy GRRM's fake-out, so I'm glad they teased us with it rather than just having it happen without fault.

Prometheus

Juniors
'Lazy' could either imply that they wanted to get it out of the way, or they weren't really bothered with putting satisfactory effort into it. Either way, it's something unfair to accuse them of.

By "lazy" I meant that they have started falling back on tired old TV tropes that they never used when writing scenes based on chapters from the books.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Some people will never be happy

The scene was well done imo. As stated by others, it had me questioning if he would truly be resurrected, where as before the scene I was adamant he was coming back. They sowed the seed of doubt well

Ramsay killing Roose was the real shock. Roose always has his bases covered and was totally blind sided there

Misanthrope

Staff member
By "lazy" I meant that they have started falling back on tired old TV tropes that they never used when writing scenes based on chapters from the books.

I'd be stunned if it doesn't play out much the same in the books when he gets around to writing the scene in question.

His other option is to have it just work without any tension. We know he's coming back and we know a red priest type has to do it. It'll either be Melisandre or some new character he invents, gets us attached to, and then casts aside like an ex who gained weight.

saint.nick

Coach

But I haven't seen anybody come up with an alternative that is better than what they did. TV tropes are used because when done right, they work.

Blackwater, great episode. But without the book chapter, the ending of the battle would just be another TV trope, when Tywin comes in at the last minute and saves the day. Or how about when Podrick saves Tyrion from being killed right before he gets destroyed? Another TV trope.

Last edited:

Game_Breaker

Coach
hodor-willis.jpg

Interesting theory on Hodor on Reddit.

Some saying he may have been a warg. He warged inside Lyanna?s horse (possibly named Hodor) but stayed in there too long, possibly horse got killed etc

Better explanation here: https://www.buzzfeed.com/andyneuens...why-hodor-is-h?utm_term=.uu3vveMrB#.reGdd8OaM

Another theory I've heard is he knew about R+L=J and took some sort of "sacrifice" to keep quiet.
I think Benjen knew, which is why he joined the NW

Parra

Referee
The only goid thing about the lazy resurrection is that we get to see John Snow killed again. Hopefully in the opening scene next week.

McNulty

Juniors
Interesting theory. I am genuinely curious to see what happened to him. I hope they don't just forget about it.

They've made a big deal about it in the last episode. There is no way they would leave it unresolved.

Another theory I've heard is he knew about R+L=J and took some sort of "sacrifice" to keep quiet.
I think Benjen knew, which is why he joined the NW

So many theories. Hope it isn't a long wait

Parra

Referee
Was probably the weakest episode in the series so far. Seems like they are in too much of a rush - which I suppose they have to be given the years of production & the ages of some of the key characters.

unJon - weak

Roose getting outsmarted by Ramsay. How is this remotely likely? Now instead of an intriguing Lord of the North we have a one dimensional sadist who is obviously going to get what is coming to him at some point. To top it off - his most prized possession can't be tracked down for some reason. Given that dogs & hunting is his one true calling and he can speed around the north at will this seems a major oversight. As entertaining as Ramsay can be.

Tyrion just strolls in and manhandles the dragons. Cracks a joke on the way out. Done.

Arya gets a reprieve from Jaquen. No reason other than she just answered a few questions. Nothing has changed - it's like the writers just got bored with that little side story and it needs to move on.

Robert Strong just crushes the head of some bloke who bragged in a pub - is he also the new master of whisperers has perfect timing ? Seemed like a pointless scene - the bloke was an aggro animal before he became a reanimated zombie.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I wouldn't call straight-up murdering someone "out-smarting them". Roose has always had complete control over Ramsay but underestimated the effect of using the baby as a motivator. I don’t think Ramsay planned to kill Roose on the spot but Sansa was his only ticket to becoming the future Lord Bolton and he lost her. So Roose lecturing him about playing his games and losing the key to the North combined with the news of a baby brother sprung him into action. The biggest mistake Roose made was relieving Ramsay’s status as a bastard, because he wouldn’t have any ambitions of becoming Lord Bolton before that.

To top it off - his most prized possession can't be tracked down for some reason.

Because Brienne slaughtered them.

Cersei dispatching Robert Strong to silence people talking about her “walk” isn’t that far fetched. Looked awesome too.

Last edited:
Was probably the weakest episode in the series so far. Seems like they are in too much of a rush - which I suppose they have to be given the years of production & the ages of some of the key characters.

unJon - weak

Roose getting outsmarted by Ramsay. How is this remotely likely? Now instead of an intriguing Lord of the North we have a one dimensional sadist who is obviously going to get what is coming to him at some point. To top it off - his most prized possession can't be tracked down for some reason. Given that dogs & hunting is his one true calling and he can speed around the north at will this seems a major oversight. As entertaining as Ramsay can be.

Tyrion just strolls in and manhandles the dragons. Cracks a joke on the way out. Done.

Arya gets a reprieve from Jaquen. No reason other than she just answered a few questions. Nothing has changed - it's like the writers just got bored with that little side story and it needs to move on.

Robert Strong just crushes the head of some bloke who bragged in a pub - is he also the new master of whisperers has perfect timing ? Seemed like a pointless scene - the bloke was an aggro animal before he became a reanimated zombie.
This is either solid bait or extreme nitpicking.

Was an awesome episode, Roose being killed by Ramsey really surprised me, I wasn't expecting it at all.

Jon's resurrection finally happened and the suspense in the final scene was palpable.

Can't wait for Monday!

tumbidragon

First Grade
i thought it was one of the strongest early episodes in the series thus far. Breath of fresh air after the rubbish dished out last season.

PJ

First Grade
I was half hoping that Melisandre had failed but then Jon came too with blue eyes.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Hoping he go's full 'lord stone heart' in place of Lady Catelyn.. That'd be pretty bad arsed.
Pretty sure he's going Azor, to tie him into Daenerys invasion of Westeros.

Last edited:

Walt Flanigan

Referee
His death released him from his vow to the Night's Watch so I think he'll march south with the Wildlings. The question is will the Boltons/Karstarks get to castle black first? That will be interesting because I'm pretty sure they don't know about the Wildling army up there.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Also keen to see if they have shot the duel between Rhaegar and Robert, considering we're going back to the tower of joy. I'd love to see how Robert overcame Rhaegar considering he was supposedly such a great Knight.

saint.nick

Coach
Also keen to see if they have shot the duel between Rhaegar and Robert, considering we're going back to the tower of joy. I'd love to see how Robert overcame Rhaegar considering he was supposedly such a great Knight.

To be honest I don't think they'll do that as it's not directly relevant enough to squeeze into the season...but it would be cool if they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts