What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the go with Ramsay snow and rose Bolton? One minute Ramsay was going to take out the greyjoys the next he is the son of roose Bolton?

Wato

Juniors
What was the go with Ramsay snow and rose Bolton? One minute Ramsay was going to take out the greyjoys the next he is the son of roose Bolton?

His always been the son of Roose Bolton. He was originally a bastard now his been legitimised and his dealing with the greyjoys as he is the castlellan of the dreadfort and the North.

Ahh ok. Must not have paid attention in previous series. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of who's who, who is related and what not. Probably more so if you haven't read the books.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Ahh ok. Must not have paid attention in previous series. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of who's who, who is related and what not. Probably more so if you haven't read the books.

if they are making out/rooting or touching each others bits they are most likely related ;-)

Game_Breaker

Coach
Not sure how to say this without spoiling, but imo his death does serve a purpose. It's just not very obvious at this point.

See, now I have to guess all sorts of theories about what happens next

Surely Oberyn's family must now get involved. Dialogue earlier in the season referred to them, and I don't think the writers will add that if they weren't relevant.

Also Oberyns nickname was interesting I thought, why the Red Viper?
Is the colour used to distinguish him from other Vipers? like the Blue/Black/Green etc Viper?

beave

Coach
I haven't read the books but Im sure the boys whom have can correct me but the nickname has something to do with him killing a previous lord as a 16 year old with a poisoned sword (the viper component of the nickname) and the house symbol is a red sun (the red yadda yadda)

RHCP

Bench
iirc, there was some sort of duel but only to first blood because of Oberyn's nobility. They both got cut but Oberyn recovered and his opponent ending up dying, leading to the "viper" bit, I think? Something like that.

Wato

Juniors
iirc, there was some sort of duel but only to first blood because of Oberyn's nobility. They both got cut but Oberyn recovered and his opponent ending up dying, leading to the "viper" bit, I think? Something like that.

Yea that's what happened was it house Yronwood? Either way they are the second biggest house in Dorne and Oberyn was accused of sleeping with his wife.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I understand the frustration, but I'm getting annoyed at people saying "It's just a waste of a good character, he had him beat, George RR is just being a pr*ck etc etc."

The reason he didn't just finish him off is because he needed the confession.

It's only rumoured that "He raped her. He murdered her. He killed her children."

The confession is has huge political ramifications. House Martell is officially allied with the Lannisters - but it's well known they hate them. But they had no proof of what happened to Elia (Oberyn's sister). Til now......

afinalsin666

First Grade
"It's just a waste of a good character,

I read the books, and the show hit me harder in that scene. In the books i was worried for Tyrion, but couldn't give much of a shit about Oberyn. A fairly bland character died for showboating, big whoop. I cared so much watching it because Pedro Pascal is a god damn badass.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I read the books, and the show hit me harder in that scene. In the books i was worried for Tyrion, but couldn't give much of a shit about Oberyn. A fairly bland character died for showboating, big whoop. I cared so much watching it because Pedro Pascal is a god damn badass.

Half agree.

Agreed that TV Oberyn was far more charismatic than on paper.

But the duel was very dramatic. The way he kept saying "You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children. SAY IT!" You could feel the emotion. At last, justice would be served to the bad guy.

Alas:

Ei2vBWD.gif

Misanthrope

Staff member
See, now I have to guess all sorts of theories about what happens next

Surely Oberyn's family must now get involved. Dialogue earlier in the season referred to them, and I don't think the writers will add that if they weren't relevant.

Also Oberyns nickname was interesting I thought, why the Red Viper?
Is the colour used to distinguish him from other Vipers? like the Blue/Black/Green etc Viper?

It's a reason he was a suspect in Joffrey's killing too.

Agreed. I didn't much care for or about him in the books. He was just kind of there.

He was portrayed wonderfully by Pedro Pascal, and the real shame is that we probably won't see him on our televisions again anytime soon.

God-King Dean

Immortal
The story TV Oberyn gave in Tyrion's cell about him being born a 'monster' was told in sympathy.

In the books he told it when they first met, just to be a dick.

Pretty much, TV Oberyn was portrayed in a positive, exciting light. Whereas the books just show him to be cocky & vengeful.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Half agree.

Agreed that TV Oberyn was far more charismatic than on paper.

But the duel was very dramatic. The way he kept saying "You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children. SAY IT!" You could feel the emotion. At last, justice would be served to the bad guy.

Alas:

Ei2vBWD.gif

Oberyn did say "Oh, you're dying"
After he crushed his skull (which I don't know if that is physically possible), the Mountain collapsed beside him, I don't know if that means he's dead or just really hurt.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Well I know if he lives or not in the books, but the series could go either direction with it.

I can see the confusion. After he crushed his skull, he just collapsed & looked dead. Everyone I was with was screaming "That's bullshit, it's a draw! VIDEO REF!"

Status
Not open for further replies.