What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Plodlor
Giant_Season_3_ep_1.png

Plodant.
tumblr_mmlphmCRhd1rohphko1_400.jpg

This wasn't inspired by a comment I made in the SOO thread was it?

Misanthrope

Staff member
This.

I think there are legitimate gripes such as the set up for the Wall largely being very black and white and one of the less gripping storylines in Game of Thrones and the timing of the episode but the delivery and outcome was great.

As somebody who usually zones out during the Wall plots, I really dug the episode and all the moments that occurred.

Could you imagine if the whole thing only lasted 20 minutes?

OH SHIT GIANT IS CHARGING IN....

Meanwhile in Meereen

:crazy:!!!!!

Better check in with Poderick.

Wonder what Stannis and Davos are doing?

OH SHIT THE WALL! Ummm...Jon Snow joined the fight, just put an axe through one of the wildlings skull and now Ygritte has him cornered.

It wouldn't work.

Mark the date in your calendar, folks! Big Pete and I agree on something.

Parra

Referee
Probably my biggest gripe of the ones you mentioned, but more how long it went and that there was no variety.

You realise in the example you gave this is essentially exactly what they did do?

Just as the giant charged in, they cut to another scene at the wall and didn't show the fight.

Then they went back to this scene later and they were all dead, giant included :lol:

This.

I don't mind the idea of a solid 30 - 40 minutes of The Wall, but not by itself with nothing else thrown in. That to me made the episode boring overall.

You've summed it up well. Why we needed Magnar of Thenn having some pointless discussion with Ygritte, or Sam & Gilly, or the softening of Thorne along with the known cowardice of Slynt. There was a lot of filler. Time could have been better spent.

Misanthrope

Staff member
You've summed it up well. Why we needed Magnar of Thenn having some pointless discussion with Ygritte, or Sam & Gilly, or the softening of Thorne along with the known cowardice of Slynt. There was a lot of filler. Time could have been better spent.

I disagree.

The episode's failings were in the poor handling of the build up and the development of characters not named Jon or Ygritte; not the pacing or the style of the episode itself.

Had adequate time been devoted to fleshing out the likes of Pyp, Grenn, Tormund etc, it would have been every bit as engaging as the last 'bottle/battle episode', Blackwater.

Even so, I enjoyed it far more than several of the other more scattered episodes this season. It did have one or two dour moments at the beginning and ended on a bit of a dud note, but all thought it was very well done.

Big Pete

Referee
You realise in the example you gave this is essentially exactly what they did do?

Just as the giant charged in, they cut to another scene at the wall and didn't show the fight.

Then they went back to this scene later and they were all dead, giant included :lol:

You misinterpreted.

I'm talking about a complete tonal shift going from the utter intensity and desperation of combat to checking in on comic relief or catty drama for the sake of 'variety'.

The way they cut from the Giant scene, they didn't cut to Gilly or some shit, they threw us right into the action with Snow taking it straight to the wildlings and since we stuck with it, it was easier to understand just how brave their sacrifice was.

It was a good cut and worked effectively for the episode.

Someone

Bench
This.

I think there are legitimate gripes such as the set up for the Wall largely being very black and white and one of the less gripping storylines in Game of Thrones and the timing of the episode but the delivery and outcome was great.

As somebody who usually zones out during the Wall plots, I really dug the episode and all the moments that occurred.

Could you imagine if the whole thing only lasted 20 minutes?

OH SHIT GIANT IS CHARGING IN....

Meanwhile in Meereen

:crazy:!!!!!

Better check in with Poderick.

Wonder what Stannis and Davos are doing?

OH SHIT THE WALL! Ummm...Jon Snow joined the fight, just put an axe through one of the wildlings skull and now Ygritte has him cornered.

It wouldn't work.

Theres a reason these big battles take up the full episode and you hit it on the head. Viewers would be confused in thinking what they were watching wasnt historical if they kept cutting to some blonde dragon lady's bullshit love affair or Ramsay Snow skinning a kitten.

Some complain because it took up the whole episode and they didnt get to see other people and some complain because there was 'boring' bits in there in amongst the fighting. To me that sounds awfully contradicting.

Big Tim

First Grade
Probably my biggest gripe of the ones you mentioned, but more how long it went and that there was no variety.

This.

I don't mind the idea of a solid 30 - 40 minutes of The Wall, but not by itself with nothing else thrown in. That to me made the episode boring overall.

In the books you dont get any of that Giant fight, so I thought it was cool that they showed what they did. It really drove home that it took the deaths of all of them to save the tunnel.

Apey

Staff member
This.

f**king whingers really, over the smallest shit.

I thought it was one of the best episodes of the whole series..

Yes, because people not enjoying an episode as much as you makes them whingers.

Apey

Staff member
In the books you dont get any of that Giant fight, so I thought it was cool that they showed what they did. It really drove home that it took the deaths of all of them to save the tunnel.

That didn't bother me, it was a reply to Pete's point; which he was right about in that it was misinterpreted.

Apey

Staff member
No them whinging makes them whingers

If was an awesome episode

I am glad you enjoyed it.

I haven't seen any whinging on the last few pages, only that some people didn't enjoy the episode as much as others such as yourself.

If anything, I'd say this was the closest to a whinge:

Wtf are they doing with Sansa on the tv show ?

Her last look at Verys was pretty lusty

In the books she hates his guts

Apey

Staff member
Episode 9 discussion aside for a moment, Episode 10 can't come soon enough. Everyone must be dying to see what's happening with Tyrion by now after 2 weeks; I know I am. Just imagine if that Monday without an episode had been some time after Episode 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.