What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Jeyne Westerling, Khal Pono or whichever the Khal's name is that shows up in Dany's last chapter of ADWD.

I'll give you the second one, but Westerling? I'd heard that Martin was not fussed as she had only a minor role to play being a red herring who some incorrectly believe to be carrying a Stark child.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member

That doesn't make her important. We already have heard more from her in the books.

Happy for Winds to prove me wrong if it ever comes out, but I'm not holding my breath for her character to make any great splashes.

I'd say Xaro and Pyat Pree are the more baffling character deaths given they both look likely to have significant interactions with Daenerys ahead.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
She hasn't been in any books published since that comment, but if you say so.

I'm referring to the books since her on show death chronologically. Her potential heir to Winterfell has been mentioned since the Red Wedding in the book.

As I said above, I'm happy to be proven wrong and unpredictability is always interesting, but I'll be stunned if it turns out to be anything more than the 'rumours' about her that have already been mentioned in book.

She wasn't even a particularly important character to begin with. She was a prop to symbolise Robb's stupid adherence to honor over doing what is smart (a motif the show abandoned in favour of having a love story).

He mentions her name and says we'll definitely hear from her again. He also mentions handmaidens who, while I'm sure they will be in Winds, are unlikely to be producing ground breaking storyline developments.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Sound argumentative technique. It's been good discussing the merits of the changes made to the show with you.

chrisD

Coach
Wtf are you on? I mentioned nothing regarding the merit of show changes, only that the show has killed off multiple characters that the author still has a role for in the books, and then provided a quote from the author for it. And for some reason this has sent you full genius.

Big Tim

First Grade
Sound argumentative technique. It's been good discussing the merits of the changes made to the show with you.

I will have a reasonable discussion with you.

I think it's safe to say that slight deviations from the books to the show won't be/aren't huge spoilers.

It's understandable that changes have to be made. Those that defended the wall in the books aren't even mentioned in the tv show, so to give their stories that same meaning someone like Grenn and Pyp have to die in the show, otherwise no one would care if "brother whatshisname" was killed by Ygritte.

The how has also combined characters like Gendry and Edric, changed them completely, Jeyne Westerling, or completely ignored them, like Coldhands.

I wasn't a big fan of how Petyr convinced the Lords of the Vale that he didn't kill Lysa, but the book story just wouldn't work as you don't have the necessary background to the Vale.

For the record I think it's stupid that they accepts Sansa, don't question Petyr any more and accept him shopping off Robert just like that. The Blue bard story is so much better........ But it can't work any other way.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I will have a reasonable discussion with you.

I think it's safe to say that slight deviations from the books to the show won't be/aren't huge spoilers.

It's understandable that changes have to be made. Those that defended the wall in the books aren't even mentioned in the tv show, so to give their stories that same meaning someone like Grenn and Pyp have to die in the show, otherwise no one would care if "brother whatshisname" was killed by Ygritte.

The how has also combined characters like Gendry and Edric, changed them completely, Jeyne Westerling, or completely ignored them, like Coldhands.

I wasn't a big fan of how Petyr convinced the Lords of the Vale that he didn't kill Lysa, but the book story just wouldn't work as you don't have the necessary background to the Vale.

For the record I think it's stupid that they accepts Sansa, don't question Petyr any more and accept him shopping off Robert just like that. The Blue bard story is so much better........ But it can't work any other way.

I agree on all of the above. I'm particularly disappointed with the lack of Coldhands in the show, especially given I can't see a budgetary or story reason to leave him out.

The change I've most disliked was the way Robb and Cat were portrayed in seasons two and three, making Cat another whinging woman instead of the stronger figure she was in the books, and turning Robb into a cheesy love story.

In the books he marries Jeyne out of a sense of honour after he takes her maidenhead in a moment of grief - not because he's madly in love. That story is a much better mirror to his father's stupid honour than the way it's shown on TV.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Wtf are they doing with Sansa on the tv show ?

Her last look at Verys was pretty lusty

In the books she hates his guts

Eddie Lab

Juniors
66 minute episode next week and they have a lot to get through with only two acceptable final scenes IMO.

Lady Stoneheart hanging out with some Fray's or finding out if Tywin shits gold

Misanthrope

Staff member
I interpreted it less as a lustful look and more at her using her only weapon (her femininity) against a man who she knows it will be effective against.

We'll see where they go with it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.