What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Thread vs Manly

Gronk

Staff member
I still can't believe the one on one missed tackles, the dumb play the balls, the forward passes etc. that led to the 40 nil scoreline.

It was embarrassing. WTF is up with our players???

Sterlo said last week that we were a side trying not to lose rather than trying to win.

#wtfdoesthatmean?

muznik

Juniors
Well for the first time since I can remember I passed up the chance to watch the Eels play and decided to spend some time with my kids in the park.

Looks likes i made the right choice.

How much does the average Parra fan have to suffer before this turns around?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I dont know where to start after todays match. That was so embarrassing. Such an inept performance once again. What was the point of bring in a former coach to help to side out, cause it didnt help in the first half, I mean to trail 40-0 after 43 minutes, was well below par, I feared we would conceded a lot of more points.

Also the fact that Hindmarsh was taken off at 10-0 behind, has still got me beat and when he came on, the game was pretty much over.

On a positive note, and theres not many, it was good to see Smith and Mullaney debut today and played well. Especially Smith after backing up from Wenty yesterday, and played well in that game too.

WestCoastEel

Juniors
I Its not a matter of us "putting in" and showing guts, its the opposition clocking off, I thought that was fairly obvious.

If you look at another post of mine I said it was a bit of both, the fact is they may have clocked off to a degree and had players out of position due to injuries but we could've just thrown in the towel and lost by 60 or 70.

Eels Dude

Coach
If you look at another post of mine I said it was a bit of both, the fact is they may have clocked off to a degree and had players out of position due to injuries but we could've just thrown in the towel and lost by 60 or 70.

I think the point is if they didn't clock off and have players injured we would have lost by 60 or 70. We're just lucky they did otherwise we'd be facing one of our worst ever losing margins.

WestCoastEel

Juniors
I think the point is if they didn't clock off and have players injured we would have lost by 60 or 70. We're just lucky they did otherwise we'd be facing one of our worst ever losing margins.

I get the point but I don't necessarily agree. And it's something we'll now never know so it's a pointless argument. You would've thought Manly would go down Wolfman's side more than once in the second half though.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Well that was a terrible first half - if my sons under 6 was that poor in defence (re - first half) their coach would be horrified. It was the worst defence I have seen in a while. And gee how hard is it to play the play , be behind the kicker , not throw forward passes !!!

Lucky we did not let the score blow out in the second half !!!

natheel

Coach
watching the post-game interviews with Smith and Mullaney. Jake looks like he's on cloud nine after making his first grade debut. Massive grin on his face when he was asked about his try. Good to see the young guys coming through just taking the opportunity and loving it no matter what. I thought Nathan Smith did well considering being chucked in at the last minute and backing up from the Wenty game the day before. Made some good metres.

forward pass

Coach
We were down 31 nil to Tigers before we staged a miraculous comeback and everyone was patting us on the back for coming so close.31-30

We were 20-6 down against Sharks before coming back to win.

We were gone against the Panthers at 18-6 down with 10 to go.

Yesterday we were down 40 nil early in second half before scoring 24-6.

We scored 4 late tries v raiders a month or so ago - and still lost.

My point is that all these late comebacks are only saving SK's arse in my opinion. Had we not started playing with 20 to go in every match - we could be having one of the worst seasons of all time. He would have been gone long ago.

Our late match surges are masking just how very, very bad we really are. I know we all know how bad we are - but we are much much worse !

Gronk

Staff member
We were down 31 nil to Tigers before we staged a miraculous comeback and everyone was patting us on the back for coming so close.31-30

My point is that all these late comebacks are only saving SK's arse in my opinion. Had we not started playing with 20 to go in every match - we could be having one of the worst seasons of all time. He would have been gone long ago.

Our late match surges are masking just how very, very bad we really are. I know we all know how bad we are - but we are much much worse !

Love to hear a sports psychologist's view on this.

#weneedashrink

SDM

First Grade

My point is that all these slow starts are making SK look inept in my opinion. Had we started playing in the first half in every match - we could be having one of the best seasons for a few years. He would have been re-signed long term.

Maybe our slow starts are masking just how very, very good we really are. I know we all know how bad we are - but we are much much better !

;-)

Your ridiculous logic masks my ridiculous logic. We are going terribly and many aspects of the club can be questioned, but which 20 minutes should we ignore? 80 minute game.

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
I was not surprised in the least by what I saw yesterday. Taking a player of Hayne's ability and influence out of any side is going to prove costly. That's not to say I think the side is usually well coached - not by a LONG shot.

The second half comeback was predictable. Manly were not the same team in the second half. Injuries and lack of interest let us back in the game. Good on the boys for continuing to put the effort in but you cannot take anything out of that.

The next few weeks are going to get ugly....I mean......uglier.

WOE

Wise Old Eel

Juniors

My point is that all these slow starts are making SK look inept in my opinion. Had we started playing in the first half in every match - we could be having one of the best seasons for a few years. He would have been re-signed long term.

Maybe our slow starts are masking just how very, very good we really are. I know we all know how bad we are - but we are much much better !

;-)

Your ridiculous logic masks my ridiculous logic. We are going terribly and many aspects of the club can be questioned, but which 20 minutes should we ignore? 80 minute game.

Do you actually believe that dribble?

Stephen Kearney is NOT a first grade coach and I am sick of watching my team get belted week after week while rainbow chasers give us excuse after excuse.

WOE

Gronk

Staff member
I was not surprised in the least by what I saw yesterday. Taking a player of Hayne's ability and influence out of any side is going to prove costly. That's not to say I think the side is usually well coached - not by a LONG shot.

The second half comeback was predictable. Manly were not the same team in the second half. Injuries and lack of interest let us back in the game. Good on the boys for continuing to put the effort in but you cannot take anything out of that.

The next few weeks are going to get ugly....I mean......uglier.

WOE

Agree. Hopefully we will not give away easy possession vs Dogs. If we give ourselves a fair share of the ball and complete our sets, we might be able lose by only 12.

SDM

First Grade
Do you actually believe that dribble?

Stephen Kearney is NOT a first grade coach and I am sick of watching my team get belted week after week while rainbow chasers give us excuse after excuse.

WOE

No I don't. You have misunderstood, which is not hard as I talk shit.

I was trying to point out that we can be judged on our shit performances this year, there is no point trying to isolate the first 60 minutes of matches to make it seem worse.

have we ever lead in a game this year? we seem to only score tries when the opposition has run up 20 on us and clocks off in the second half

Last edited:

SDM

First Grade
have we ever lead in a game this year? we seem to only score tries when the opposition has run up 20 on us and clocks off in the second half

No, we haven't.

We have won 3 games, but have never been in the lead, not even at full time in the games we won.

oldmancraigy

Coach

It would be an interesting exercise to calculate what percentage of our total points this season have been scored when there's absolutely no chance left of winning the game!!

Latest posts