What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Two Selections

Without doubt the bench has to be beefed up with a Toupou, Clinton or John Skando. If the front row had been more dominant then Kimmorley would have had more oppurtunity to get the kicks away.

Morrison should also be in there as the blues tough man. He would provide the niggle like Crocker does for QLD.

gregstar

Referee
croydon Dog food said:
without doubt the bench has to be beefed up,with the likes of clinton or big skando or kite--as for the no 7,kimmorlley would have gone a hell of a lot better,if the front row had won the ruck--morrison should be in their as the blues tuff man,like crocker does for them
so you think kimmorely's attrocious kicking game & refusal to pass in the first half was the forwards' fault?
someone fetch a cloth! there's been a spill & it smells like sh*t!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So you support the selection of only 2 front rowers greg?
You don't think the QLD forwards dominated?

gregstar

Referee
Mr Angry said:
So you support the selection of only 2 front rowers greg?
You don't think the QLD forwards dominated?
you are completely correct in asserting that nsw should have another prop on the bench. i would have stevens starting with ryles on the sideline.
qld's forwards dominated on the back of weight of possession, courtesy of a solid kicking game on their behalf & a poor kicking game on nsw's behalf.
& given that qld had all the ball & the nsw forwards had to tackle their rectums off, qld was always going to dominate (especially in the first half)

only 2 qlder forwards made over 30 tackles (1 made 31 the other made 41)
was it any wonder they were full of aggression & making yards?

taxidriver

Coach
Kimmorley out - Orford, Johns, Sherwin or Finch in that order.

Watmough out (did nothing wrong but a big man is needed) - Tupou in

No other changes required NSW win by plenty.

Isurus

Juniors
gregstar said:
i'd get rid of ryles long before bailey
bailey worked his *rse off - ryles is at best a bench player
i thought ryan & simpson went well king was pretty amazing for a debut!
kimmorely's the one!!!!!!!

Did you watch the game??? Ryan and Simpson each made 4 hitups for around 25 metres each. Thats great go forward isn't it. I think both should be punted.

Mini
Hazem
Gasnier
King
Rooney
Barret
Orford
Kennedy
Fitzgibbon
Hindmarsh
Clinton
Buderus
Bailey

Wing
Gallen
Tupou
P. Bailey

Isurus

Juniors
macavity said:
... and the worlds best hooker, Mr Danny Buderus, should be on 80mins without question...

I admire your loyalty to Buderus, and agree that at his best, he is a great player. I wouldn't drop him, but to suggest he should have played 80 mins last night is rediculous - the guy was that buggered on a few occassions he could hardly make it to dummy half!!

gregstar said:
so you think kimmorely's attrocious kicking game & refusal to pass in the first half was the forwards' fault?
someone fetch a cloth! there's been a spill & it smells like sh*t!

Gregstar-

Don't transfigure this into a personal slanging match because you are a poor man's version of EA and his predilection to puerile toilet humour is pathetic enough as it is.

Predictably, QLD chose a simple gameplan. They played a low-error, conservative style based on strong forward hitups and this gave Lockyer and Smith ample room to put kicks into space.
NSW, on the other hand were getting dominated around the rucks particularly in the 1st half. Kimmorley's kicking game was poor although some of this is attributable to the absence of a solid foundation provided by his frontrowers.

The bench forwards each contributed roughly 25 metres from 4 hitups.
These statistics are hardly exceptional. Simpson, Ryan and Watmough are all very good players but their meager contributions should not automatically ensure them another spot in the next game.
I think that NSW needs someone with more size like Tupou or Kite, but I am mindful of the O'hara situation a few years ago and it would probably be unfair to discard a forward who wasn't given much time to impress as it was.

Shifty

Juniors
1. Minichiello
2. Rooney
3. Cooper
4. Gasnier
5. King
6. Barrett
7. Kimmorley
8. Bailey
9. Buderus
10. Clinton (been a critic of his, but this year he is playing with aggression and running hard)
11. Hindmarsh
12. Ryan (has to start or leave him out all together, better player than Kennedy and Fitzgibbon if given a starting spot, but none of them are suited to the bench)
13. Fitzgibbon

14. Ryles
15. Tupou
16. Watmough
17. Wing

eloquentEEL

First Grade
1. Minichiello
2. King
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Rooney
6. Anasta
7. Barrett
8. Clinton
9. Priddis
10. Ryles
11. Hindmarsh
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Menzies

14. Riddell
15. Bailey
16. Tupou
17. Morrison

Shifty said:
1. Minichiello
2. Rooney
3. Cooper
4. Gasnier
5. King
6. Barrett
7. Kimmorley
8. Bailey
9. Buderus
10. Clinton (been a critic of his, but this year he is playing with aggression and running hard)
11. Hindmarsh
12. Ryan (has to start or leave him out all together, better player than Kennedy and Fitzgibbon if given a starting spot, but none of them are suited to the bench)
13. Fitzgibbon

14. Ryles
15. Tupou
16. Watmough
17. Wing

Kennedy would be unlucky to miss out. He offers more in attack than both Hindmarsh+ Fitzgibbon.
I agree that Ryan is only effective when he's starting.
Fitzgibbon, if he spends mopre time on the field would be the answer for that vexed goalkicking prob.
Hindmarsh is a workhorse and he's good in attack- a legend.
I don't think that that gets us any closer to picking the backrowers...

11.Hindmarsh
12.Ryan
13. Fitzgibbon

15. Kennedy....

Its all contingent on who else they consider for the goalkicking position and to what extent they want to use their bench.

Shifty

Juniors
Kennedy certainly would be unlucky to miss out on a starting spot based on his effort, but Kennedy on the bench with Ryan starting would be much better for the balance of the team.

If they aren't going to pick Ryan in the starting side then leave him out all together and bring in an impact player like Topou or Kite.

simon says

First Grade
Kennedy was our best player.....ya cant leave him out....he has the passion that we need.

Id like to see Morrison in the side,he has the starch and the niggle that we really lacked.

On Cooper,I have never been a fan but he had a whale of a game...even passed a few times.

Ryles has to go,replace him with Skandy/Clinton/Stringer/Stevens etc....someone who will get you some metres.

And Tupou off the bench for the strike.

A home crowd,fair ref and these changes I predict we win easily.

eels_fan

First Grade
in my opinion our best team would be:

Minichello
Grothe
King
Gasnier
Rooney
Barrett
Johns/Orford
Bailey
Buderus
Clinton
Hindmarsh
Fitzgibbon
Kennedy

Wing
Morrison
Waterhouse
Ryles

yappy

Bench
Only one change required for me. Remember we scored 4 tries to 2 in the 80 minutes. It was obvious 10 days ago we went in without enough prime beef and the game just proved it. Noddy deserves the chance to play behind a proper pack and frankly I find the scapegoating of him (despite the obvious deficiencies of his game) without acknowledging the error the selectors made unfathomable. Ryan didn't deserve his selection originally whereas Watmough did, so he makes way. Ryles was also disappointing but I'd only drop him back to the bench.

1. Minichiello
2. Rooney
3. Cooper
4. Gasnier
5. King
6. Barrett
7. Kimmorley
8. Bailey
9. Buderus
10. A Big Unit
11. Hindmarsh
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Kennedy

14. Ryles
15. Simpson
16. Watmough
17. Wing

as for "10. A Big Unit" I don't have a personal pref really. I'd be hesitant to start Tupou in his first game here, so it would probably be a toss up between Clinton and Stevens who did a fine job in the openning exchanges of City-Country and have enough experience to not be overawed. Kite and perhaps a few others might come into the mix. If you can't decide simply put em all in a room and give the jersey to the one who gets out alive. If we can hold the Maroons in the middle for the first half we'll belt em in the back end.

panthersballboy

Juniors
The outside backs all were pretty good so i would keep all of them

1. Minichello
2. King
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Rooney

In the halves Barrett was pretty good and sparked the attack in the 2nd half but Noddy was crap and is not a SOO player. If Johns is back give him the gig.

6. Barrett
7. Johns

I thought all the starting forwards were pretty good except Ryles who I didn't see much of, change him for Clinton. Kennedy was outstanding.

8. Bailey
9. Buderus
10. Clinton
11. Hindmarsh
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Kennedy

For the bench we need more impact. Watmough needed more game time as well.

14. Watmough
15. Kite
16. Topou
17. Wing

Munky

Coach
I don't think the selectors will touch Morrison after his brain explosion vs the Sharks.

O'Donnell would be a better choice if we needed to out niggle Crocker aswell as knock him out.

Pantherjim.

Referee
macavity said:
we have some idiots on this board, dont we....
calls to get rid of Buderus, King.... you want to get rid of two of our best? Idiots...
I would love to get rid of Wing - has done NOTHING for 18 months now and offered nothing tonight... and the worlds best hooker, Mr Danny Buderus, should be on 80mins without question...

:lol: And you're calling us idiots???

axie said:
I'm not a Knights supporter and I certainly wouldn't want anyone else in the number nine. Buderus is the best hooker in the game.

:lol: :lol:

Pantherjim.

Moffo

Referee
Don't kid yourself, Bailey was dead soft. When we needed him to stand up in the first half he got bashed up by Webb. Bailey is a workhorse, not an impact player. All those who say Johns shouldn't be there...wake up, the man is a genius behind a crap forward pack

We need impact players!

We had a team of workhorses last night!

With that in mind:

1. Anthony Minichello
2. Matt King
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Ryan Cross
5. Luke Rooney
6. Trent Barrett
7. Andrew Johns
13. Ben Kennedy
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
10. Brent Kite
9. Danny Buderus
8. Jason King

14. Craig Wing
15. Jason Ryles
16. Anthony Watmough
17. Glenn Morrison

Bit of mongrel and a few players picked who are in form! I left Cooper out to piss Gregstar off lol

Moffo

Referee
Geez it was hard to come up with some boppers...we are devoid of boppers!

Clinton might be a little unlucky to miss out. NFW is Waterhouse unlucky