What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gameday thread: Eels vs Panthers

The G-Man

Juniors
Penrith were far from "Red Hot". Gee wiz. They were slightly better than average, and that's all that they needed to be to SMASH us. Massive trouble brewing in Eels town.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gotta feel for Hindy, this mob are a disgrace. I've stuck up for Kearney but what else can you say???? Two of the worst games from a Parra tram in recent memory. It's like the players couldn't give a f**k bar a few. It looks like SK has lost the playign group because there is no way they are playing as a team ATM.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Penrith were far from "Red Hot". Gee wiz. They were slightly better than average, and that's all that they needed to be to SMASH us. Massive trouble brewing in Eels town.

Your first post and you're a sore loser.

We might've made Penrith look good, but they still took the chances we gave them and their attack was awesome for the 30 or so minutes they gave a f**k.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It looks like SK has lost the playign group because there is no way they are playing as a team ATM.

Definitely looks like he's lost some of them.

You have to wonder though - has he lost them because half of them know they won't be here next year?

ParraSteve

Juniors
Lots of finger pointing on the panthers first try, there seems to be a lack of communication all round.

We made Etu look like an immortal tonight.

If there was any a chance to quiet our critics it was tonight and they failed. I'm not sure what the answer is , changes surely have to be made

Eelementary

Post Whore
But someone said he can defend and is fast

It was me. And I don't regret it. Morgan was ordinary, but not the problem tonight.

And for those of you that say we don't miss Ben Smith...Have these last four weeks changed your tune? Sure, Benny's hit-ups aren't great. But between he and Hindy they shore up our ruck, and he is probably the best one-on-one tackler we have in the side.

Believe it or not, though, I still think we can turn it around. But I think our side needs to be shuffled around:

1. Hayne
2. Sio
3. Morgan
4. Tonga
5. Blair
6. Roberts
7. Sandow
8. Hindmarsh
9. Keating
10. Mannah
11. Moimoi
12. Paulo
13. Maitua

14. Burt
15. Poore
16. Tautai
17. Allgood

What I think we need is our best 13 to start the game. I think starting Moimoi and Paulo, running at opposition centres and back-rowers, is a no-brainer, plus they can both hold their own defensively. Tautai has hands like feet, but he runs hard and tackles hard. I cannot justify a spot for Burty in the starting 13, but I could see value in him running around the ruck at tired big men after 20 (even though he'd defensively be a liability; but we could always shift him to the wing and put Tonga in his place defensively, for instance).

Tonight was very disappointing, but we need to get our pack right. Lasalo is just not improving. He has ability but he is lazy and inconsistent.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Lots of finger pointing on the panthers first try, there seems to be a lack of communication all round.

We made Etu look like an immortal tonight.

If there was any a chance to quiet our critics it was tonight and they failed. I'm not sure what the answer is , changes surely have to be made

To be fair, Etu's issue was never his attack, but rather his defence and ability to lose his concentration and give dumb penalties (like he did tonight against Blair). Etu runs hard, makes breaks and half-breaks and can finish a try.

Tell you what, though - Hindmarsh had a rather poor game. After Coote scored, they showed him all pissed - when replays clearly showed he is the one who attempted to arm-grab Walsh and missed, leading to the break...

Mannah, Allgood and Maitua stood up, IMO. Moimoi and Poore had flashes. Paulo looked dangerous. Lasalo did nothing of note. Defensively, we all were poor in the pack.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Definitely looks like he's lost some of them.

You have to wonder though - has he lost them because half of them know they won't be here next year?
Yep, looks like they have gone through another coach. f**king pea hearts, the buck never seems to stop with the players who look like they couldn't give a rats. Bennett couldn't get this pack of soft serves to win.

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
Believe it or not, though, I still think we can turn it around. But I think our side needs to be shuffled around:
Sorry mate, you can re-shuffle those 17 blokes in any way you like, but if they don't give a stuff rearranging the seats on the Costa Concordia isn't going to help.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Sorry mate, you can re-shuffle those 17 blokes in any way you like, but if they don't give a stuff rearranging the seats on the Costa Concordia isn't going to help.

I'm not so convinced they don't give a stuff. Well, most of them. I think most of them try but aren't good enough on the day. The only bloke (IMO) who looks uninterested every week is Lasalo. Moimoi at times, too - but he tried tonight to spark the side.

I just think our back-row is ineffective - partly because Hindmarsh offers nothing in attack, partly because Lasalo offers nothing in attack or defence, and partly because (aside from Maitua) we have no mobility or penetration.

IMO we have some good enough forwards - we just need to find a way to use them well.

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
Eelementary, last season I would have agreed with you - there was plenty of effort, but little result. This year, I reckon the problems run a bit deeper and there's something wrong at our football club.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Eelementary, last season I would have agreed with you - there was plenty of effort, but little result. This year, I reckon the problems run a bit deeper and there's something wrong at our football club.

Perhaps you're right. I did notice Hindmarsh missed a few easy (by his standards) tackles, and couldn't seem bothered to chase at times...

I can accept a loss when we try but are outplayed. Tonight, we were outplayed. But our performances across the park made Penrith look even better. I don't know where the problem is exactly...But I do feel that blokes like Poore and Moimoi deserve to start.

spiderdan

Bench
According to 2GB, Penrith officials have made a complaint about the condition of our pitch. They reckon it might have caused the injury to their bloke.
Of course it did. 1/34 players cops an injury so it couldn't be one of those things that just happens in contact sport, it must have been the field.

peddles

Juniors
Wow. This is the first game I have been able to watch live all season and gee I won't get that 80 minutes back...
Massive disappointment with their attitude and inept defence - especially when an opposing 6 or 7 is tackled by 3 of our guys and can still slip a pass.
Desperate times sometimes call for depserate measures. As much as I don't like the guy, maybe we should throw Mason a lifeline - he might be able to fire them up. (I know he brings a reputation but if he comes cheap it's a gamble probably worth taking). It might also be time to give the captaincy to someone else - Tim Mannah. He always leads by example, and it would let Hindy concentrate solely on his game and contribution.

Some changes for mine -

Hayne
Sio
Tonga
Maitua
Blair
Roberts
Sandow
Mannah (c)
McGuire
Moi Moi
Shackleton
Hindmarsh
Paulo

Burt
Poore
Allgood
Mason

No matter what, GO THE EELS..

phantom eel

First Grade
He will retire i reckon.
I reckon he'll resign the captaincy first. Pass it over to Mannah, play the five or so games left to break his record, and then give it away mid-season. Burt might even quit mid-season with him?

Couldn't blame Hindy or Burt at all, the numpty coach can't get his squad to dig in and play for each other.

phantom eel

First Grade
Anyone read the magazine at the game? The article from Kearney was hilarious.
I didn't read it until half-time... what a joke! Someone should scan it up here so everyone can laugh.

Kearney went out on a limb with that first page article, and the players simply didn't play for him or each other. I don't know where they go from here, Kearney has used up all the cliches and hype already... and failed.

Maybe Hindy has to resign the captaincy, and Kearney simply has to go. The Board should act on Tuesday. And then they need someone independent to look at where the real problems in the club are, because since that first 3P election problems keep coming back and impacting us on the field.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
It might also be time to give the captaincy to someone else - Tim Mannah. He always leads by example, and it would let Hindy concentrate solely on his game and contribution.

I'd give the captaincy to Reni M.
He plays 80 minutes, has the smarts, is tough, is uncompromising, is determined, is mature, is a very good leader and all the players look up to him.
He will help to get our club back up the ladder. Getting a much better coach will help as well, someone like Daniel Anderson or Jason Taylor.

Last edited:

Latest posts