What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gasnier meets Waratahs

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I really wish this issue would get settled.

The longer it goes on for, the more is makes me believe that there are less and less footy players and more and more business people.

drake

First Grade
Mimis is squeezing every last drop out of this, as is the ARU.

As I said before in another thread, Saints should sort out Head (and the other out of contract blokes) and then tell Gasnier what's left.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Isn’t it funny that no-one wanted to experience the “challenge” of Union when the Wallabies sat on the field with oranges at half-time and had to take annual leave from their REAL jobs to play against the All Blacks??

gregstar

Referee
firstly i'll bet he was made sideways in through the doorway.

secondly (and this is a giggle), what happens if he struggles & gets dropped?
who does he play for?

bwaaaaaaaaah hahahahahaaahaahahahahahhaahahahahaaa!

think it through mandible boy.

LOL!

drake

First Grade
I think the 'challenge' of Union is highlighted by Wycleff Palu (sp).
Bench spot in reserve grade at the Dragons, the next year in the run on Waratards team. Says a lot for the ability required.

Dragons_#1

Bench
drake said:
I think the 'challenge' of Union is highlighted by Wycleff Palu (sp).
Bench spot in reserve grade at the Dragons, the next year in the run on Waratards team. Says a lot for the ability required.

U have to give credit tho, wycliff has built him self up alot over the off season and had adapted to the game of union alot better than league!! He is a good player!

domdom

Juniors
Dragons_#1 said:
U have to give credit tho, wycliff has built him self up alot over the off season and had adapted to the game of union alot better than league!! He is a good player!

i agree. palu has worked his ass off in the offseason to improve his game, and its worked. prior to this season, he was an average player with potential. this season, he is getting close to being the real deal.

Dragooner

Bench
Ewan McKenzie is saying that Gasnier has no more to acheive in league but Ewan McKenzie is dead wrong. Gaz has only made 100 first grade appearences and is yet to win a GF but if he goes to Union we'll expect Wes to play in the centres or maybe one of the Morris twins might play there. Only time will tell.

drake

First Grade
With all this dicking around, it really makes me appreciate a bloke like Cooper.

He has acheived everything that Gasnier has; yet signs pre season, quietly and promptly.
You can't tell me that Matt couldn't have gotten a better price at another club.
Whilst he might not have the "shimmy shimmy jig" that Gaz has, he has been more consistent and is an asset in defence as opposed to a liability.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Totally agree Drake. Same with Young. He signed early as well.

When the NRL and RLPA finally agree on the increased cap I am sure more will sign. The longer they leave this drag the worse it will be for the Dragons as every club and his dog wil be offering Sims, Creagh, Head, Poore etc heaps of cash to leave and we may lose them cause of the bloody delay.

If this is not sortered before June 30 they should put a freeze on players being approached until the clubs get to talk to them first.

Father Ted

First Grade
Might be time to give them a deadline so we don't lose the others ? Also might help the penny drop that the world doesn't revolve around them .

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I'd be doing that too Ted.

Give him a deadline, and tell him that he signs with us by this date or he will be considered a loss.

I'd hate to see him in anything but a Dragons jersey, but Gasnier really is becoming a disgrace to the name his uncle made great.

The guy has never showed any pride in his jersey, never shown any real desire, and seems to only play when it suits him.

If we lose Gasnier and his money could have helped us keep both Bails and Thommo, I will seriously question the judgement of those who do the player contracts in our club, because whisperings of him leaving us have been going on for nearly 18 months now.

Say what you will about how good a player he is (And I believe he is one of the best) but only one player in the competition can win a comp on his own and Andrew Johns is his name. Gasnier can score tries, but the fact that he only does it when he wants is annoying, and I'd much rather have a lesser skilled player in his position who gives 200% each game than someone who umms and uhhs about whether he'll sign this contract or that.

Godz Illa

Coach
Drew-Sta said:
Gasnier really is becoming a disgrace to the name his uncle made great.

The guy has never showed any pride in his jersey, never shown any real desire, and seems to only play when it suits him.
Whoa... way to fly off the handle Drew. I know the Gaz delay is affecting us all but you've made quite a ludicrous leap of logic there. Your claims are not merely unkind, they are also plain false. Calm down.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well its not often discussed that during a dispute with the Club, Reg once threatened to play rugby union - he claimed it wasn't a hollow threat either. Thankfully the Club relented. Mind you, it didnt drag on for long and the media scrutiny was nothing compared to what it is today.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Ok, maybe not a disgrace, but he is definately not acting with the same club mentality that previous Saints players have shown.

Making money out of League is not something I would begrudge any person, but the exhorbitent money the can make out of this game, especially after the way Gasnier acts, it angers me becasue these people have no idea just how lucky they are. It's almost like they don't know what it is to play for a club you really love.

Saints pay him a huge amount of money, they don't want him to leave the club, and have gone above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to patience, taking care of him and standing by him when he has had rough times. To walk away from Saints for money and 'the challenge' is poor repayment to a club that has done everything possible to keep a player they believe is worth it.

Father Ted

First Grade
Willow said:
Well its not often discussed that during a dispute with the Club, Reg once threatened to play rugby union - he claimed it wasn't a hollow threat either. Thankfully the Club relented. Mind you, it didnt drag on for long and the media scrutiny was nothing compared to what it is today.

The other possible point in this is if the club draws a line it sends a message of strength to the players and their managers . At the moment at least to me the club looks almost helpless and it's not a good look .

Dakink

Bench
The Dragons should offer him what they think he is worth, give him a deadline, if he cant make his own mind up make it for him. That large chunk of saraly cap could then be spent elsewhere..... What do people think of the rumour that we will chase Lyon if GAz goes. Dont get me wrong I dont want him to go, but the club comes before one player, even as good as he is.

Trenno

Juniors
The Saints can't compete with what Union will offer him. My opinion is that he is good as gone. We should be focusing our energy in the northern hemisphere to one Jamie Lyons, before he signs with the Eels again.

What will really hurt the Saints of the future will be the new salary cap on the junior ranks which starts next year.