What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gasnier not quiting...

Southernsaint

Staff member
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/18/1079199366438.html

St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier is the latest rugby league star to tell his club he has been thinking about quitting the game.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust last night revealed that Gasnier, 23, had gone close to following Parramatta's Jamie Lyon, South Sydney's Terry Hill and Melbourne's Robbie Ross into premature retirement.

Dragons officials now expect Gasnier to return to training on Monday, although hooker Mark Riddell didn't sound so sure, saying: "He's got to work things out, that's all. Hopefully he'll be back Monday and everything will be sweet."

The 2001 Kangaroo tourist and his agent, George Mimis, told Doust on Tuesday a string of injuries had prompted Gasnier to reconsider his future.

"It's fair to say that 'Gas' has been a bit troubled by the complications from a long-standing run of injuries, which caused him to evaluate where he was at in the game," said Doust, who organised a dinner meeting with Gasnier and Mimis.

"However, in contemplating that and working with some professional advice we sought for him, he's found his way above and beyond those sorts of complications and will be back at work on Monday.

"He spoke to his captain and his senior players . . . and I'm pleased to see he's back on track."

Dragons vice-captain Lance Thompson said he understood Gasnier was out of tomorrow's Ericsson Stadium clash with the Warriors but Doust confirmed injury was not the reason for the withdrawal. "All of that interfered with his preparation this week," said Doust. "So it's best that he doesn't go."

The Dragons' use of an expert - possibly a psychologist - to help Gasnier is in line with their co-opting of leadership expert Ray McLean during the off-season.

When Thompson was told of Gasnier's problems, he said: "That's the first I've heard of it."

Pardon my cynicism, but he's had all this time off - on full pay, mind - to think about whether it was worth his while rehabilitating & playing footy again, but he waits until after a loss in Round One to do anything about it?? Quite selfish behaviour if you ask me.

I hope he comes back better than ever because he's a brilliant talent, but this notion of players thinking they can just waltz in to their employers office & get time off at the drop of a hat leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Dragon

Coach
I was so angry when i picked up todays paper. I couldnt believe Mark, but now ive cooled down i can see his point and respect that he needs to get his head and heart together.

Come back soon Gaz!!!! :(

JoeD

First Grade
He just doesn't want to get bashed by the warriors this weekend :shock:

Ribs

Bench
I agree Ben, I just about tore the paper to shreds this morning. While I hope this turns out for the best, its getting a little pathetic having these guys whining about the pressures of training etc. For f*cks sake, we go to the gym and go swimming during the week ON OUR LUNCH BREAK and then return to work. Im sorry but my sympathy for these guys, who earn hundreds of thousands to do what others do FOR FREE, is fast running out.

Add that to the frustration of regaining one prop in Sims and then losing one prop in Bailey....... We couldnt get our best pack on the paddock together last year and things dont look any better again this year.

ngunity

Juniors
I hope he comes back to the fold for you Dragons fans; Gasnier is easily one of the most talented centres in the game, and a rare talent, not just another solid player. Nothing like watching Gasnier split the line and run, it's good stuff.

crossing my fingers for you

Simo

First Grade
Whats with the paper linking terry hill and robbie ross to anywhere near the same as Gas or Lyon???

Terry Hill 32 odd hasnt played much footy at all in the last few years, due to retire anyway soon.

Robbie Roos 29 hasnt played more than 5 in a row in about 4 years and also would be up for retirement soon as his injuries would stop him being effective.

Yet these two went into premature retirement?

Being forced out with injury at 30 is very different to not being mentally tough and walking out at 22-24.

BTW i hope Lyon comes back and Gas stays.

I was shocked on the footy show when they said they would get the serious stuff out of the way. I thought it was the Dogs but they said the Gasnier story and i couldnt believe it!

Godz Illa

Coach
My favourite commentator, Warren Smith, reported on NRL Scoreboard that Gaz did not show up for training today.

Not good.

Simon

Juniors
Yeah he didn't show because today was a rehabilitation seesion and seen as he didn't play, he was told that he didn't need to turn up. Should be there tomorrow.

Anonymous

Juniors
Media release

Doust says Gasnier is ready to play

23 March 2004
Following a meeting with Gasnier's manager George Mimis here today, Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said he was confident the former international would play this weekend, although it's likely to be in Premier League.

"I think he's moved forward from where he was last week, which one would be anticipating," said Doust in reference to Gasnier's mental state.

"To quote him, he's ready to play. He's working through the issues and it's a process.

"We're working our way through those issues and looking for the process to be one which generates the right outcome for everybody."

Gasnier, who friends say is lacking motivation to play in the NRL, missed Saturday night's impressive victory over NZ Warriors in Auckland to deal with personal issues.

The 22-year-old was originally due back at training today but club trainer Paul McGregor told him at a barbecue yesterday that he could have another day off because it was a recovery session.

Gasnier's problems have been exacerbated because of vicious rumours involving himself and team-mate Trent Barrett, who today spoke about the pressures modern players were under.

"It seems to be getting more and more common," Barrett said about disillusioned players like Gasnier and Parramatta centre Jamie Lyon, who has also been granted personal leave by his club to contemplate his footballing future.

"Every year we train harder and we train longer.

"The games are more intense and there's more media attention on young players.

"It does get to some people - it gets to everyone, it's just a matter of dealing with it.

"But it's a great game and we've got the best job in the world but that does probably take a bit of fun out of it."

The Dragons have hired a psychologist to help Gasnier, who is expected at training tomorrow morning at Oki Jubilee Stadium.

"That's proved to be a positive in the sense it's helped him evaluate where he's coming from in an objective third party sense," said Doust, who added Gasnier would not be sanctioned for pulling out of the game against the Warriors.

"He's missed a couple of opportunities - he missed playing on the weekend and a great win for the club.

"I think in that sense he has to fight his way back into the team, which is good.

"No, I don't think there's an issue of discipline. It's an issue of understanding. He's got the right values and that's important."

Anonymous

Juniors
Dont know Blubag. I heard something that he was a chance to go to Melbourne but you know what its like with rumours.

The latest press release sheds no light on the subject except to confirm that he back.

Gasnier Returns to St.George Bank Dragons Training
23/3/04

Dragons centre Mark Gasnier returned to training with the St George Bank Dragons today as planned.

He attended weights in the morning at Carss Park followed by team conditioning, lunch and ball work at Oki Jubilee Stadium.

Dragons CEO Peter Doust said he was very happy to see Gasnier continuing the process of resolving the issues that he confronted last week. He was granted leave last Thursday and missed the Warriors game in Auckland.

“We should recognise Mark is working through the issues which caused him be uncertain about where he was at, in the game, and I think he is reflecting the appropriate values,” Doust said.

Gasnier said it was “good to be back” and that he was sorry he had “let the boys and supporters down”.

“I’m happy to be here … I wouldn’t be back if I wasn’t,” he said. “I am very grateful for all the support I have received from the club, my team mates, family and friends – it’s been overwhelming - and I will be doing my best for the Dragons this weekend.

“I have been embarrassed by the media and public interest. It has all been a very humbling experience, however, I want to move on and focus on playing rugby league.”

Southernsaint

Staff member
None of our Auckland Heroes should be cast aside to make room for Gaz, it doesn't look good for Star players to come & go as they please, and it is dis-heartening for the blokes who did such a great job for us in New Zealand.

Barring any injuries, I reckon Gaz should ease himself back into footy at Henson Park...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Godz Illa

Coach
So good old Warren Smith forgot to mention that it was a rehab session. I'll forgive him for leaving out that tidbit.

Anyway, welcome back to Gaz, hopefully he can recapture his best form in Premier League and return to the big time ASAP.

Simo

First Grade
Apparently its only a week to week basis that he is back!

What sort of commitment is that?

But then again there is so much media BS i shouldnt fall for the trap of believing it unless i see it come stright out of his mouth!

Prodigiousman

Juniors
""None of our Auckland Heroes should be cast aside to make room for Gaz, it doesn't look good for Star players to come & go as they please, and it is dis-heartening for the blokes who did such a great job for us in New Zealand. ""

Hey I know the 'heroes' played well but the Warriors did everything they could to keep the Dragons in front in those last 15 minutes.

I don't think the Warriors completed a set in that time frame, they just kept pushing the pass and losing control of the ball then gave away penalty after penatly when the Dragons had the ball.

Don't kid yourselves... the Dragons didn't win the game, the Warriors lost if for them.

Gasnier HAS to come back straight away, Nathan Brown knows he got lucky against the Warriors, and if Doust has any power at all - Gasnier will play against the Storm. You don't keep high priced talent in reserve grade when there's pressure on your position and it's NOT the pre-season.

Lance Thompson wasn't going to figure in Round 1 selections remember... how credible was Browny's comments then? Not at all, Thompson came straight in and started.

Expect the same with Gasnier, Howell is a decent player but he's not about to take advantage of the Melbourne 3/4s defensive deficiencies now is he.

Firman obviously isn't fit yet, and Head played well.

But Howell didn't do anything to keep Gasnier out, if the Dragons don't play Gasnier and lose - you know the ONE person who will cop it - and that will be Brown - not the 'heroes' of Auckland.

Anonymous

Juniors
Prodigiousman said:
Don't kid yourselves... the Dragons didn't win the game, the Warriors lost if for them.
And gracious in defeat as well.
You were obviuosly watching a different game.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
I just call it as I see it.

being nor a Dragons or Warriors fan.

If the Dragons expect to win more than a handful of games with the Auckland 'heroes' then that's drastically optomistic.

Barrett, Bailey, Ryles, Firman, Gasnier - that's a major hole in any team.

I'll stick by my call, the Warriors lost the game, I don't think the Dragons were impressive at all. They hung in, but that group hardly showed me any reason to think they'd beat a switched on, disciplined team in the future.

Anonymous

Juniors
In that case, you were definitely watching a different game to me. Those errors being made by the Warriors as they were 'losing' the game were forced errors. The Saints' defence harrass them continuously.
Towards the end, you could see how frustrated the Warriors were.

Perhaps the Warriors were complacent or perhaps Saints hammered them up the middle... or maybe it was bit of both. But what I saw was a team that was down 10-0 who didnt drop their heads. They stuck to a game plan and won through a combination of simple Guts and Determination.

I agree that its unusual to see the winning continue without the top names but its a funny game. There have been plenty of examples of teams winning through as underdogs and so-called 'reserve grade players' keeping their higher paid team mates out of the the top grade. It happens.

Regarding Thompson coming back for round one. It had nothing do with credibility. He was dropped for a trial match for disciplinary reasons. He was included in the round one match following injuries. Obviously a measured decison was made.

Regarding your comment that Gasnier HAS to come back right away. With respect, this ignores the fact that he isnt ready to come back. I think it would be a mistake to force him into rushing back when quite clearly, there's more to this than meets the eye. Again, another measured decision.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Prodigious Man,

You've taken a pretty literal view of what I wrote. Of course I don't expect the boys who won us the match in Auckland - Yes, we won it, the Warriors didn't "lose it", in fact they were leading 10-0 at Half Time - to be the first choices for the whole year.

Rather, I think that Gasnier shouldn't bea able to waltz in & out of the side whenever he feels "stale", he should come back via a week in PL & have the hunger for NRL footy again

Thanks for your analysis anyway...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Latest posts