What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Tour on for 2019

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Iestyns grandad signed for oldham from Welsh RU...dunno whether he brought iestyns dad with him or whether he was born up here?

Gibbs should have played for GB but Quinnell wasn't that good..

And GB is just as redundant today as it was 20 years ago..
I always thought that iestyn’s dad was welsh. Strongly disagree with you about quinnell, I thought he was a huge success in league and was getting better with every game. Gibbs was pure class and born to play league and centre.

GB today is an embarrassment. Hardly any RL at any level is played in Scotland, Ireland is slightly better and at least wales has 2 semi-professional teams and a host of genuine welsh born players spread throughout the leagues in the UK.

roughyedspud

Coach
I saw quinnells debut for wigan 'A' against oldham 'A'...he was woeful

I'm positive Jonathan Davies made his Widnes debut on the famous watersheddings slope too?

roughyedspud

Coach
See that time was only 18month long...we had the last full winter season in 94-95 we then had a short centenary season in 1995 then the first full summer season in 1996

Walter sobchak

First Grade
See that time was only 18month long...we had the last full winter season in 94-95 we then had a short centenary season in 1995 then the first full summer season in 1996
So both Gibbs and quinnell must have only played 1 season of super league as I believe they both only had 2 years playing league. Either way I think they would both be great playing today and would walk into a GB 17.

roughyedspud

Coach
Gibbs yes...quinnell no....just cos he was a big name doesn't he was good...and from my view...he was average at best

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Can't find the link now, but read earlier today that the Aussies don't want a bar of the lions on aussie soil in 2019. Any truth to that?

Burns

First Grade
Can't find the link now, but read earlier today that the Aussies don't want a bar of the lions on aussie soil in 2019. Any truth to that?
I find this one hard to understand.

Mal has been going on about the good old days of the Ashes tour etc. This is essentially the same thing. A thread on the Total Rugby League Forums says that Australia want to play Samoa instead of Great Britain. If the Lions tour, and were to only pay New Zealand, PNG, New Zealand club teams and a Pacific Nation - what's the point?

t
I find this one hard to understand.

Mal has been going on about the good old days of the Ashes tour etc. This is essentially the same thing. A thread on the Total Rugby League Forums says that Australia want to play Samoa instead of Great Britain. If the Lions tour, and were to only pay New Zealand, PNG, New Zealand club teams and a Pacific Nation - what's the point?
gee fans want this but the arl are just stupid.... ps do you know what happened to Totalrl and why its shut down?

roughyedspud

Coach
Hate to say I told you so....but I've said a GB tour is a waste of effing time from day one...

And if the first GB tour since 1996 consists of 1 test v NZ,1 test v Tonga & 3 games v NZ club teams...which is the rumor ...then f**k that...

Australia to reject GB Lions

The Australians do not want a Great Britain team on their shores and will play Samoa at the end of the 2019 season to keep on encouraging the development of rugby league in the Pacific islands, report League Weekly.

The paper claims the Lions will still go Down Under but to New Zealand where they will play a Test against the Kiwis, as well as a Test against Tonga, Fiji or Samoa, and then they will travel to Papua New Guinea to face the Kumuls.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...wigan-chase-hastings-australia-snub-gb-lions/

You know what if Australia is like that! Fu..kem I no longer will support the Kangaroos!!!

roughyedspud

Coach
Why can't Australia play a "warm up" test against Samoa prior to a 3 test Series again GB?

Not rocket science is it?

GB could play tonga,for example, at the same time,as our "warm up"...

Tonga & Samoa would then go on to the planned pacific championship..

Springs09

Juniors
Pathetic if true. Is Australia's international calendar going to look like 1 test v NZ, 1 test v Pacific Nations for every year bar World Cup years?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Australia to reject GB Lions

The Australians do not want a Great Britain team on their shores and will play Samoa at the end of the 2019 season to keep on encouraging the development of rugby league in the Pacific islands, report League Weekly.

The paper claims the Lions will still go Down Under but to New Zealand where they will play a Test against the Kiwis, as well as a Test against Tonga, Fiji or Samoa, and then they will travel to Papua New Guinea to face the Kumuls.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...wigan-chase-hastings-australia-snub-gb-lions/

You know what if Australia is like that! Fu..kem I no longer will support the Kangaroos!!!

If it's true, then why not...

If it is true then I'd bet you anything that in the media it'll be reported that the NRL aren't interested cause of the RLPA, the clubs not wanting to release players, etc, but when you actually look into it and go down to the source of the issue it'll be cause of the money! It'll be cause of the financial risk, the potential profit margin, or cause the RFL expects the NRL to help fund/organise it when realistically they were happy for the Roos to participate but weren't really interested in it as a commercial venture.

Springs09

Juniors
Mid-Season
NZ v Tonga
PNG v Fiji
Samoa v Lebanon

Week 1 - Oct 12
Australia v NZ
Tonga v Samoa (PC)
PNG v Fiji (PC)

Week 2 - Oct 19
Tonga v GB
Australia v Samoa
NZ v Fiji

Week 3 - Oct 26
NZ v GB
PNG v Samoa (PC)
Tonga v Fiji (PC)

Week 4 - Nov 2
Australia v GB
Tonga v PNG (PC)
Fiji v Samoa (PC)

Week 5 - Nov 9
Australia v GB
PC Final

Week 6 - Nov 16
Australia v GB

Week 7 - Nov 23
PNG v GB

It really shouldn't be this hard to organise.