What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GC v CC

dimitri

First Grade
i would like to see something like that happen

definitely in that order

GC

ORCAS

BEARS

then leave it a little while and think about perth and adelaide

DIEHARD

----
Iafeta said:
2006 Gold Coast
2008 Southern Orcas
2010 Central Coast

In order of deservedness.

Orcas just have to be next. It would boost the international game. There is so much Kiwi talent coming through and they have a right to be able to play for a New Zealand based team, we have to provide it for them.

We need the next Marshalls, Sonny Bills and Hunts playing for the Orcas. The boost to the NRL and Trans Tasman tests would be stunning.

dimitri

First Grade
i agree

orcas v warriors would be a mighty battle every time

then when the 2 sides come together for the kiwis it would be an awesome sight

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Razor

Coach
BTW while they may have been based at TH - they were still the GC-TH Giants and then the GC Seagulls, based at Seagulls Stadium. They were part of the Gold Coast area, you can't dissociate them from the area for 7 of the 10 years just to improve your argument, that's ludicrous.

Call it what you want, but they were not playing on the Gold Coast. Tweed Heads is NOT part of the Gold Coast area.

he cc people showed they wanted the full time team as promised
not a mob interested only long enough to get back on their feet financially and go back fulltime to brookie

Exactly. Thankyou for proving my point.

CC people only want to support their team, not the game. If their own team isn't playing, they aren't interested.

The Gold Coast has proven that they want to support the game on top of their team. If their own team isn't play, the GC population is still interested.

That's why the Gold Coast deserve to be in first.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You are a blind arrogant fool if you believe the reason the GC deserves the spot is because of patronage.

You are forgetting other factors like juniors, previous club successes, stadiums, finances, viability for the long term amongst a shitload of other criteria. I think you're delusional if you believe CC is last out of the three. The area has been deserving for a long long time.

I will call it what I want. The played as the Gold Coast for all of those years. Look over every ladder every game every draw and it shows Gold Coast, make excuses, tell me they were Tweed Heads (all of 5 k's down the road across a border), do whatever, Gold Coast Seagulls playing at Seagulls Stadium means Gold Coast and it's area to me, and they had 10 years to make something of it. They didn't. Now it's the Central Coasts turn to have their own (I want you to read that carefully - their own) side.

I'll place money on the fact that crowds will begin to fall away at Carrara if NRL keeps postponing the 16team decision.

Yes - I do believe GC deserves a go, but not until the CC gets going.

Timmah

Staff member
And Iafeta - the NRL, I've said this before, should cover it's own country before even looking across the Tasman. 07 - CC, 08 - GC, 09 - Perth or Adel, 10 - SO

I'd go as far as to say introduce CC/GC in the same year but the NRL is too short sighted for that one

Iafeta

Referee
dodge said:
You are a blind arrogant fool if you believe the reason the GC deserves the spot is because of patronage.

You are forgetting other factors like juniors, previous club successes, stadiums, finances, viability for the long term amongst a shitload of other criteria. I think you're delusional if you believe CC is last out of the three. The area has been deserving for a long long time.

I will call it what I want. The played as the Gold Coast for all of those years. Look over every ladder every game every draw and it shows Gold Coast, make excuses, tell me they were Tweed Heads (all of 5 k's down the road across a border), do whatever, Gold Coast Seagulls playing at Seagulls Stadium means Gold Coast and it's area to me, and they had 10 years to make something of it. They didn't. Now it's the Central Coasts turn to have their own (I want you to read that carefully - their own) side.

I'll place money on the fact that crowds will begin to fall away at Carrara if NRL keeps postponing the 16team decision.

Yes - I do believe GC deserves a go, but not until the CC gets going.

Gold Coast would have a massive drawing of juniors. I doubt that'd be a concern for them. Likewise Southern Orcas. Gold Coast were financially viable when they were cut, Southern Orcas have no past history to speak of so its not applicable, finances are not an issue for either of the other two ventures if you consider who is supporting the Orcas, and their "no cost" (travel/accommodation etc. paid for) offer to the NRL sub committee.

I personally see Central Coast third in most aspects, second in some. First in none.

Central Coast seems a long way third for mine. They've had their chances with the Northern Eagles (yes, it wasn't perfect, but it was a chance nonetheless - likewise Southern Orcas had their chance with the Warriors and Bulldogs, one whom was going through a major controversy the other was in horrid form and heading towards a serious crisis and still posted 13,000 on a pretty average night). They've also had various trials, and really should have got a bigger crowd to City/Country. That was the real test. Most places you'd sell that game out.

The other aspects are stadia, I'm not sure on Carrara, but Westpac Trust Stadium is top class, modern, and used regularly as an international sports venue. Juniors, the ground swell in Wellington alone would be massive, the surrounding areas and South Island are also very strong league areas. Finances, Orcas billionaire supporter is still heavily involved and enthusiastic.

The only other idea I can come up with is location, and in my estimation I'd consider Gold Coast and Southern Orcas more geographically necessary. Queensland should have a third side, New Zealand could use a second side to lift both respective representative side's potential openings in the NRL. Central Coast juniors, in the short term could be looked after by Manly or Newcastle which is what 90 minutes max either way?

And then to top Central Coast's bid off, the head honcho, perhaps the major positive of the bid threw his toys in the cot and went home. The bid hasn't covered itself in glory yet, and for all those reasons there's no way it'll be the first accepted. Its challenge now is to get it altogether again and see if it can beat the Southern Orcas out of the second successful submission to the NRL.

Iafeta

Referee
dodge said:
And Iafeta - the NRL, I've said this before, should cover it's own country before even looking across the Tasman. 07 - CC, 08 - GC, 09 - Perth or Adel, 10 - SO

I'd go as far as to say introduce CC/GC in the same year but the NRL is too short sighted for that one

Thats a rather insular look into things, and indeed quite short sighted.

There are two major scenes that for mine are looking rather stale - international, there's one dominant team here, but the potential for a second to rival them is immense. And Origin level. Queensland just look half a yard short. When you consider how many openings are available in the respective areas, NSW and Australia should be, and are a long way ahead.

If they look after both those scenes, they'll be looking after themselves as they are potentially both big money makers.

Razor

Coach
will call it what I want. The played as the Gold Coast for all of those years.

Just because they called themselves that for marketing reasons, didn't mean they were there.

Viability for the long term? Since the Gold Coast is the fastest growing city in Australia, Gold Coast wins there. Also since the Central Coast is surrounded by 11 other teams, and Gold Coast has 1 team 1.5 hours north, shows how widespread the support will be.
Juniors? Gold Coast wins there to. They have more juniors than the Central Coast. Also Gold Coast can access Logan and South Brisbane juniors, as there is only one other team in South QLD, compared to 10 within 1-2 hours from the Central Coast.
Finances? Since the Gold Coast in 1998 made more profit than any other side, tells me they'll be successful. The Eagles had to leave Central Coast 4 games into 1 year because they were losing to much money playing there. So another Gold Coast win.
Previous Clubs Successes? Why should the on-field performance of previous teams have anything to do with it? Anyway you keep saying the Central Coast haven't a team before, so if that's the case, the Gold Coast wins this by default.
Stadium? A win to the Central Coast. And a very unimportant point. Carrara stadium will be upgraded, but not the level that CC was.

So of the 5 critieria you listed, Gold Coast wins 4. Central Coast wins in the least important one.

I didn't include Wellington in the discussion, but Wellington will be ahead of Central Coast in Viability for long term and finances at least. Not sure on their stadium and the number of juniors they have.

Timmah

Staff member
Iafeta said:
dodge said:

There are two major scenes that for mine are looking rather stale - international, there's one dominant team here, but the potential for a second to rival them is immense. And Origin level. Queensland just look half a yard short. When you consider how many openings are available in the respective areas, NSW and Australia should be, and are a long way ahead.

If they look after both those scenes, they'll be looking after themselves as they are potentially both big money makers.

Qld half a yard short?

Origin is dead even at the moment - something like 38-all with 2 draws.

DIEHARD

----
I don't call 10 NRL based clubs plus most of the Canberra Raiders vs the Broncos and Cowboys fair.

If we don't try to give balance to state representation, State of Origin is up shit creek. Queenslanders always pack out the stadium, Blues only come if Queenslander are competitive and their is a genuine series on our hands.

10 v 2 isn't fair.

Iafeta

Referee
dodge said:
Iafeta said:
dodge said:

Qld half a yard short?

Origin is dead even at the moment - something like 38-all with 2 draws.

I'd like to see what its like over the past 6-7 years.

Queensland was dominant in the 80s and early 90s, since then New South Wales have enjoyed their fair share of success.

coldhardbitch

Juniors
dodge. you just cant seem to look at it for the good of the sport.

Central Coast brings absolutely NOTHING to rugby league and is a complete waste of time.

Gold coast, wellington, sout brisbane, perth, cairns and adelaide all deserve berths before central coast is even mentioned as a possible team.

For central coast to get a team, at least 5 sydney teams need to be booted or relocated first.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Why should NZ get another team before Central Coast, Perth and Adelaide?

This is NATIONAL Rugby League, we've got to think about going national before putting another team from New Zealand in.

Perth should get another chance, Adelaide try again, Central Coast for real this time.

Lets put the Gold Coast in first and then go Australia wide. Hell you cant ignore Western Australia, its the 3rd biggest Rugby League state in Oz and I've got the fear of losing it Rugby Union is something is not done about it.

Iafeta

Referee
PARRA_FAN said:
Why should NZ get another team before Central Coast, Perth and Adelaide?

This is NATIONAL Rugby League, we've got to think about going national before putting another team from New Zealand in.

Perth should get another chance, Adelaide try again, Central Coast for real this time.

Lets put the Gold Coast in first and then go Australia wide. Hell you cant ignore Western Australia, its the 3rd biggest Rugby League state in Oz and I've got the fear of losing it Rugby Union is something is not done about it.

Yep, domestically rugby league in Australia is struggling :roll:

Why? From your selfish stand point you'd be increasing your revenue streams significantly I would assume, Sky will invest more heavily in rugby league contracts with a second home team to support.

Its rather an insular theory, to take the word National so literally. Thank god the "N"BA and "N"HL aren't so insular in their thoughts. The amount of revenue they attract by going into Canada is astronomical.

And thats even withstanding the Southern Orca's bids outstanding crudentials. You can't deny the merits of their bids.

As for Adelaide, Perth etc., I haven't seen any bids from them so its mindless to even think they're in a position to get a NRL team back into the mix.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well the NRL should do a lot to those areas in Adelaide and Perth, cause if we add another NZL it seems like they're continuing to ignore those areas. Ok they dont have a bid like Gold Coast, Wellington, and Central Coast but we've got to improve on Adelaide and Perth, and maybe they will have a bid in years to come.

AdamH

Juniors
The people of the CC wouldn't support the Bears though. The Bears are just a relocated Sydney team.

They've said all along they want their own team, yet when the Bears (as half of the Nthn Eagles) played their they didn't turn up.

GC then Wellington then either Perth or CC then Adelaide.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Thats the reason the Bears relocated to the CC, because there a number of Bears supporters on the CC. When they got their own team (half a team, wasnt really there's) they got good crowds not 4,000 (to the idiot who said that :lol: ), they got better crowds than they did at Brookvale. They only got 6 games a year, then in 2002 Manly took over and to CC supporters it felt like they didnt have a team anymore cause it was basically Manly playing on the CC. And everyone knows Bears supporters hate Manly thats why they didnt show up.

Roc-A-Fella

Juniors
GOLD COAST IN BEFORE CENTRAL COAST ENUFF SAID!!!!

The rugby league community says it and the game itself needs Gold Coast and i reckon they should even introduce Perth in after GC and then maybe CC.