What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Jane Murray

Bench
Roosters are the best team in the league and we are the next best. Our draw leading into the finals is a bit too easy for my liking.
Maybe, but, think of it like this, the easy draw may give Ivan the chance to blood new players, and iron out any issues which needs improving.

chrisD

Coach
Maybe, but, think of it like this, the easy draw may give Ivan the chance to blood new players, and iron out any issues which needs improving.
I don't think it'll work out like you think, defending against poorer teams isn't the ideal preparation for defending against a Roosters/Storm/(maybe) Parra attack, and you don't want the first (or second) true test to be an elimination final.

Jane Murray

Bench
I don't think it'll work out like you think, defending against poorer teams isn't the ideal preparation for defending against a Roosters/Storm/(maybe) Parra attack, and you don't want the first (or second) true test to be an elimination final.
Yeah true, however, the training is different. It seems like the younger players just seem to just fit in the side, and that's down to their training.

betcats

Referee
The way this season is working out it feels like last season was a blessing in disguise almost. For one think I think it probably hardened our players in particular guys like Nath and Dyl going through all those struggles and having the media talking about them. And the guys that left, Waqa and Dallin in particular, their replacements are really working out and having kept the two veterans(sauce and Whare) who can do a job but also won’t kick up a stink when they eventually get pushed out I think has turned into a great move. If we had of been able to release the two vets and keep waqa and dallin then we would’ve had the dilemma of trying to fit Crichton, To’o and now Staines into that backline. As it stands To’o and Crichton must be picked in our backline and Staines looks like another one who will have to be there going forward. Naden, Sauce and Whare give great depth with probably Naden being the guy to the get the spot if he keeps working hard. At full strength that leaves two veterans ready to step in for any injuries. It’s a nicespot to be in heading into the second half of the season.

betcats

Referee

WestyLife

First Grade

Fangs

Coach
DWZ is 24 and has played over a 100 first grade games. I find it incredible that his error rate is still so high. The Dogs are already stuffed, they really can't afford to carry a player making errors the way he does. Better teams like the Roosters can wear a lot of mistakes but the Dogs can't.

Manu Vatuvei had hands like feet for a long time as well. I don't remember when the switch flicked in his career but when it did he was a far better player for his team.

betcats

Referee
DWZ is 24 and has played over a 100 first grade games. I find it incredible that his error rate is still so high. The Dogs are already stuffed, they really can't afford to carry a player making errors the way he does. Better teams like the Roosters can wear a lot of mistakes but the Dogs can't.

Manu Vatuvei had hands like feet for a long time as well. I don't remember when the switch flicked in his career but when it did he was a far better player for his team.

I know this is a cliche but he really just tries to hard sometimes(all the time). Running hard is great but if its leading to so many errors maybe make a little change try something a little different, forget about offloads for a while also.

Poor old Manu, even I used to get nervous watching him catch bombs early in his career. Great player though.

John Hamblin

Juniors
At what point does IC think about resting some players? Perhaps waiting for Tetevano to come back, and with Burton on an extended bench maybe Nathan Cleary gets a break this week if his ankle is still causing him problems?

Kilkenny

Coach
At what point does IC think about resting some players? Perhaps waiting for Tetevano to come back, and with Burton on an extended bench maybe Nathan Cleary gets a break this week if his ankle is still causing him problems?

I don’t think we can take anything for granted. Cowboys despite there injuries and other issues can be dangerous opponents and I tend to think we have to continue to select our best side week to week, hopefully keep pick up two points and hope we have a fortunate run with injuries.

WestyLife

First Grade
I don’t think we can take anything for granted. Cowboys despite there injuries and other issues can be dangerous opponents and I tend to think we have to continue to select our best side week to week, hopefully keep pick up two points and hope we have a fortunate run with injuries.

Someone commented the same thing on Facebook and I'll say it's not a good way to do it. You'll wear down the players which will cause injuries and you'll be going into finals with half a team.

Kilkenny

Coach
Does anyone here remember the Robinson Brothers song to the tune of "Everytime you cry"? 2GB classic.

Not that one but they had a Rhys Wesser song which was a classic. Loved it. Which I could remember which tune is was too.

The Robinson Brothers are from Faulconbridge up my way, very clever guys and a great act fullstop. Sadly those ditties they created aren’t able to be published for general use due to copy right laws. They had some classics over the years.

Kilkenny

Coach
Someone commented the same thing on Facebook and I'll say it's not a good way to do it. You'll wear down the players which will cause injuries and you'll be going into finals with half a team.

Maybe, maybe not. You can’t prepare for injuries. You have to go into each game with your best side, IMO, and place yourself in the best position to get the two points. I wouldn’t necessarily risk players with injuries that could become worse but I don’t subscribe to the resting players scenario as a general rule. Players can get injured in training never mind games. Let’s secure all the two points we can, hopefully earn enough to make the top eight, top four and then hope for the best from there.