What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

The_Frog

First Grade
I like the way the highlights flow seamlessly into last weeks trial with the intensity apparently maintained. Good editing.
Also I couldn't help noticing that Kurt looks up after the word "glory".
Someone on Faceboof saying that's Spencer doing the narrative.

Kilkenny

Coach
Always held the view Daine Laurie was a real talent coming thru the junior ranks.

He is a fullback primarily, who could be used as a five eighth.

I thought he was the better of he & Staines but Staines can play as a winger while Daine Lauries talents/strengths are largely wasted in that position.

The coaching staff work with the players day in day out so you have to respect there decision to move forward with Staines.

We couldn’t keep both so the West Tigers are the beneficiaries, good luck to them and I hope Daine has a long successful NRL career.

Always held the view Daine Laurie was a real talent coming thru the junior ranks.

I thought he was the better of he & Staines but Staines can play as a winger while Daine Lauries talents/strengths are largely wasted in that position.

The coaching staff work with the players day in day out so you have to respect there decision to move forward with Staines.

We couldn’t keep both so the West Tigers are the beneficiaries, good luck to them and I hope Daine has a long successful NRL career.

He was one of the first players we headhunted following the appointment of our recruiter Harto.

Not being horrible, but I’m not completely sold on Staines yet, simply not enough games for mine. But as you say, you’d hope the experts know what they are doing. Theyve been pretty good the last couple of years. Not quite enough evidence to allege theyve made any profound mistakes.

78 % tiger cull of players in 2 years and Daine was prioritised. The roosters were likely to have been in the mix for him too.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
He was one of the first players we headhunted following the appointment of our recruiter Harto.

Not being horrible, but I’m not completely sold on Staines yet, simply not enough games for mine. But as you say, you’d hope the experts know what they are doing. Theyve been pretty good the last couple of years. Not quite enough evidence to allege theyve made any profound mistakes.

78 % tiger cull of players in 2 years and Daine was one of the first snared. Seems ok. We will look after him though.

We can’t keep them all. No other club goes thru the pain we have to go thru to hang onto our home grown talent. Matt Burton another prime example.

I think it is rather sad, when a development club such as ours get no benefit or proper compensation from developing junior talents only to see them move on in an imperfect salary cap environment. It really doesn’t make any sense particularly when there are rumours around the changing of the long standing rules to allow an under age player to play NRL. It may not happen, but I am banking on it happening. It is the Roosters and for whatever reason they seem to benefit more than most from such decisions.

Jane Murray

Bench
We can’t keep them all. No other club goes thru the pain we have to go thru to hang onto our home grown talent. Matt Burton another prime example.

I think it is rather sad, when a development club such as ours get no benefit or proper compensation from developing junior talents only to see them move on in an imperfect salary cap environment. It really doesn’t make any sense particularly when there are rumours around the changing of the long standing rules to allow an under age player to play NRL. It may not happen, but I am banking on it happening. It is the Roosters and for whatever reason they seem to benefit more than most from such decisions.
If the trade talk eventuates, we will.

Kilkenny

Coach
If the trade talk eventuates, we will.

Im not so sure Jane.

The games powerhouses tend to benefit more than most from any drastic rule changes or changes in the way the games business is done.

It really is all about the dollars, revenue, rights deals.

The game really requires a strong Broncos given they are crucial to ensuring the biggest rights deal when it comes around.

Jane Murray

Bench
Im not so sure Jane.

The games powerhouses tend to benefit more than most from any drastic rule changes or changes in the way the games business is done.

The game really requires a strong Broncos given they are crucial to ensuring the biggest rights deal when it comes around.
Strongly disagree.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Im not so sure Jane.

Correct.

Original Name

Juniors

Laurie is older than Staines tbf. He had a couple years in the u/20's then a full year of reggies to show what he can do. For Staines it was essentially that year he won u/20's player of the year played a handful of reserve grade games on the wing then debuted in first grade the next year. Staines is also much more raw having come from the country 3 years ago so he's only done a handful of pre seasons.

Having that said that I'm the complete opposite I was completely sure Staines was a better prospect whereas Laurie was a more well rounded player being able to defend in the frontline before we let Laurie go.

Could introduce an apprenticeship rule or something that binds the youngster until they are 22 or 23 and any transfer before then comes with a development fee that comes off the purchasers cap. So much per season with the Panthers before the sale.

And then say the fee is not only given to the Panthers in cash, but they are permitted to increase their cap limit by 50% of that fee.

So say Burton was 3 years a Panther. Dogs to pay say $150k in tax to Panthers for that 3 years. Their cap is reduced accordingly. Panthers claim $75k to add onto the salary cap allowance. May not be enough, but I’m just floating it.

I suppose you could start a “player breeding program” so I’d have to cap your cap allowance at 500k or 750 or you could dodgy up second rate players!!

Or a player under my apprenticeship system could have the option to buy their way out of their apprenticeship for an undisclosed sum in cash but with a 50% junior club tax.

Or say a player wants to remain out of your apprenticeship system, that’s fine, by arrangement with both parties.

I’m not sure what the actual amount is to bring a player up through grades. I couldn’t see it less than $20k per annum with large numbers of kids. And mind you, the best you can’t keep wave goodbye and you’re ripped off.

All you get now is say years of expenses and the chance to make a decision on who you want to keep. But even then, you can’t afford to keep everyone you want. Seems a lot of effort for limited reward.

I think a modest cap benefit is fair, nothing outrageous.

The would be nothing to stop you releasing a player from the indenture.

Last edited: