What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

MugaB

Coach
This is unrelated specifically to penrith, but it is big news, if its true, and might just propell NRL to the forefront of Australias top sport

NRL TV rights: Free-to-air networks queue up for slice of rugby league

In an unprecedented move, the NRL is considering a new TV rights model that is set to spark a major bidding war.

In an unprecedented move, the NRL is considering carving up the rugby league season program and engaging up to three free-to-air networks to televise rugby league matches in the next broadcast deal.

And the development, similar to that employed by the American NFL, has been met with immediate and united support from NRL club chief executives.

The ARL Commission is considering mixing up the rugby league landscape with rival networks to bid for NRL games, State of Origin, finals and the grand final.

With different games showing on separate free-to-air carriers, there is a chance that games could soon be telecast on Nine, Seven and Ten.

If the model is implemented, Channel 9’s longstanding monopoly over rugby league would end.

ARLC chairman Peter V’Landys revealed on Sunday that rugby league had “substantial interest” from multiple free-to-air stations.

While Fox Sports has five years left on its deal, the current free-to-air TV deal expires after next season with the NRL having already started top-level discussions with all networks.

“Peter, Andrew (Abdo, NRL CEO) and the commission will be trusted with achieving the best financial outcome for the sport,” said Souths CEO, Blake Solly. “But outside the best financial deal possible, I think there would be other benefits in having two or three FTA broadcasters.

“As rights holders they would immediately be invested in promoting the NRL, players and clubs to the biggest possible audience and this would help the sport keep and find new fans.
“The more broadcasters and outlets supporting the growth of the NRL competition and rugby league, the better for mine”.

Raiders CEO Don Furner added: “The more free-to-air coverage, the better for the game, particularly in other states. One-hundred per cent of people have free-to-air.

“It’s no wonder there is interest. Our game is fantastic to watch, it’s a fantastic TV product. We have faith in Peter maximising the best deal for the game.”

V’landys told The Big Sports Breakfast Weekend on Sky Sports Radio he was interested in sharing rugby league around the FTA channels.

“For the first time we have actually got substantial interest from other TV stations. Rugby league is in a good position to get a very good deal,” he said.

“That is one option to us – you might have two free-to-airs broadcasters. You may have three free-to-air broadcasters on different days on different nights – State of Origin, grand final, semi-finals. You can split them up into different packages.

“I have just been studying the NFL deal and they have about six or seven partners that do specific games. I can’t see why we can’t do that here. Exclusivity is going to be a lot more expensive this time around, being able to provide it to a number of parties.”

Asked would Australia have enough stations interested in covering NRL, V’landys said: “I believe so and each network has expressed interest.

“At the moment, because of the competition that the free-to-air channels have, they really do rely on news, sport and reality shows. You have Stan and Netflix that provide all the other dramas and comedies so the free-to-air, they have to attract people by their news, sport and reality and sport is very, very high on that list.

“That is why the free-to-air stations will certainly be interested is us because we are a rare commodity. I want to stress the people I want to look after are the fans and to make sure the fans have every opportunity to access rugby league.

“The free-to-air deal, not only is it financially beneficial to us but it’s also provides eyeballs. Free-to-air goes to every home whereas Foxtel goes to 27, 28 per cent of the market.

“So, for us, it’s very important for us to enable rugby league to be watched by as many people as possible.”

A number of senior rugby league figures have been shocked by Nine’s relentless push to promote the ratings-challenged rugby union on Stan while virtually ignoring any ads promoting the start of NRL season.

The Sunday Telegraph reported that Channel 7 boss James Warburton has also told network employees of a plan to axe cricket, prompting speculation his station wants NRL.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/66c736e64728ad997ccace13de3cc7cd
Great news, hopefully if they get split over a few different channels, we might get better presenters, than nines coverage, i remember last world cup was pretty good on channel 7.
Also i'd be trying to get the Qld & Nsw cup on another seperate channel, and all the major events like GF and SoO on another, really make a bidding war of it, if channel 9 wasn't acting like a bitch last year the way they did, almost dropping the whole season, this probably wouldn't have happened, well done ARLC for playing the long game, even if this is just a scare tactic to increase CH9s negotiations

snickers007

Juniors
This is unrelated specifically to penrith, but it is big news, if its true, and might just propell NRL to the forefront of Australias top sport

Great news, hopefully if they get split over a few different channels, we might get better presenters, than nines coverage, i remember last world cup was pretty good on channel 7.
Also i'd be trying to get the Qld & Nsw cup on another seperate channel, and all the major events like GF and SoO on another, really make a bidding war of it, if channel 9 wasn't acting like a bitch last year the way they did, almost dropping the whole season, this probably wouldn't have happened, well done ARLC for playing the long game, even if this is just a scare tactic to increase CH9s negotiations

Yep, this is an absolute win for all fans and the game.

murraymob

Coach
Panther car
Anyone know what happened to the panther car that used to go around the field before a game usually with Scott McRae and the panther mascot on it
I know it was retired not long after a few people fell off the back off it as it was going around one day

Blues Riff

Bench
I'm still waiting to see the old scoreboard rebuilt in a prominent location. Last I heard, Gus said he was trying to find someone who knew how to put it back together. Heaps of space over the road. Those training fields look pretty bare.

murraymob

Coach
I'm still waiting to see the old scoreboard rebuilt in a prominent location. Last I heard, Gus said he was trying to find someone who knew how to put it back together. Heaps of space over the road. Those training fields look pretty bare.
I was told many years ago it was going over to the academy .been a long time since it worked may be in the to hard basket now

Whino

Bench
Has anyone listened to the Rugby League cemetery podcast?
https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-rugby-league-cemetery-the-rugby-league-kmKjRVlSP0o/

They select a match from the past and review it. Anywhere from the 70's to early '00s so far. They discuss the key moments of the match and the players.

There are 2 Panther ones they have done.

The GF vs Roosters in 03
https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-rugby-league/2003-penrith-v-easts-out-of-S8cKQ-I6Lgs/

and the semi-final against Norths in 1991.
https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-rugby-league/1991-penrith-v-norths-a-0qCZQ6InpGP/

I listened to the 03 and I thought it was good. Going over some of the moments I had forgotten about and how much they respected some of our players. They gave Chris Walker and Brett Finch a good spray.
They weren't Panthers supporters so it was refreshing to listen to a fair opinion from rival fans.
They do waffle on sometimes but if anyone likes a good RL podcast it is worth a listen.

Panther Mick

Juniors
Has anyone listened to the Rugby League cemetery podcast?
https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-rugby-league-cemetery-the-rugby-league-kmKjRVlSP0o/

They select a match from the past and review it. Anywhere from the 70's to early '00s so far. They discuss the key moments of the match and the players.

There are 2 Panther ones they have done.

The GF vs Roosters in 03
https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-rugby-league/2003-penrith-v-easts-out-of-S8cKQ-I6Lgs/

and the semi-final against Norths in 1991.
https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-rugby-league/1991-penrith-v-norths-a-0qCZQ6InpGP/

I listened to the 03 and I thought it was good. Going over some of the moments I had forgotten about and how much they respected some of our players. They gave Chris Walker and Brett Finch a good spray.
They weren't Panthers supporters so it was refreshing to listen to a fair opinion from rival fans.
They do waffle on sometimes but if anyone likes a good RL podcast it is worth a listen.

I listened to the Norths semi final episode this afternoon. Quite entertaining, they don't hold back. I think they are both Novocastrians. Luke Garaty was on a recent episode of a fantasy podcast. He speaks well.

Xeurub bought back nightmares. I was quite young at the time of this match. I have vauge recollections of the match, but have heard from older Panther fans about his shockers.

I listened to the Norths semi final episode this afternoon. Quite entertaining, they don't hold back. I think they are both Novocastrians. Luke Garaty was on a recent episode of a fantasy podcast. He speaks well.

Xeurub bought back nightmares. I was quite young at the time of this match. I have vauge recollections of the match, but have heard from older Panther fans about his shockers.

Xuereb was having a pretty good season, especially when called in if Barwick was injured.

He picked the wrong game to play his worst. Luckily, Darryl Halligan’s radar-like kicking boot was way off that Major Semi-Final.

The_Frog

First Grade
Xeureb, coming off the bench, had the worst possible half hour anyone could have, gifting the Bears two tries. Still, coach Gould did not drop him for the Grand Final (our next match). He just left him on the bench (and Ben Alexander too). Coach Cleary please take note of a coach who had won two premierships at different clubs by the age of 33.

Alintheeast

Juniors
Xuereb was having a pretty good season, especially when called in if Barwick was injured.

He picked the wrong game to play his worst. Luckily, Darryl Halligan’s radar-like kicking boot was way off that Major Semi-Final.
Every time I watch the 1991 match I think about Peter Jackson Norths Centre, there have been a few tragic stories in RL but I reckon his must be the worse. Loved the game, Queensland and his Country an abuse victim who died at 33 of a heroin overdose brought on by depression.

Jane Murray

Bench

Panther Mick

Juniors
Xeureb, coming off the bench, had the worst possible half hour anyone could have, gifting the Bears two tries. Still, coach Gould did not drop him for the Grand Final (our next match). He just left him on the bench (and Ben Alexander too). Coach Cleary please take note of a coach who had won two premierships at different clubs by the age of 33.

Didn't Graeme Bradley come off the bench in the last few seconds of the match?
I could be wrong but I think back then was the time of long benches. 2 players would get named in Big League then by game day the benches could swell to 6 to 8 players?

I could be wrong but I think back then was the time of long benches. 2 players would get named in Big League then by game day the benches could swell to 6 to 8 players?

I think he did come on but he never handled the ball or made a tackle as far as I can remember.

I would have loved to have seen Big Joe Vitanza come on for some minutes. He was forgiven after dropping the ball in the ‘90 GF that ultimately led to the Matthew Wood try that sealed the game for Canberra.

The_Frog

First Grade
Is that the Norths match or the GF? In finals you'd have 4 on the bench unless your reserve grade was playing. In the '91 GF the bench was Izzard, Cartwright, B. Alexander and Xeureb. In the semi, from memory Simmons came back on for Xeureb in the dying stages, which would have meant a reshuffle. I have this match on DVD I will check.

Panther Mick

Juniors
Is that the Norths match or the GF? In finals you'd have 4 on the bench unless your reserve grade was playing. In the '91 GF the bench was Izzard, Cartwright, B. Alexander and Xeureb. In the semi, from memory Simmons came back on for Xeureb in the dying stages, which would have meant a reshuffle. I have this match on DVD I will check.

The GF I was talking about. I thought in the last seconds of the match Ben Alexander and Graeme Bradley came on? I could be wrong.

Rugby league project has him coming onto the field.

Lanky, one-paced centre was a St George junior when he was signed by I’warra coach Brian Smith (Bradley's former schoolteacher) in 1985. Following Smith's departure from the club in 1987, Bradley moved to Penrith and gained selection in the President's XIII against Great Britain in 1988. Bradley was on the bench during Penrith's 1991 grand final victory, coming onto the field for the final minutes of play, but left the club for a season with Castleford. He found his way back to St George (again linking with Brian Smith) filling the void left by out-going captain Mick Beattie, and produced a series of mature displays which culminated in the 1993 grand final. Bradley captained St George for several weeks during the club's disappointing 1994 season and later returned to English club football to play for Bradford (1996-98).

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/graeme-bradley/summary.html

In the SF against Norths Xuerub got hooked with Simmons coming back onto the field. Ben Alexander went to half and Greg to FB.
I have both on DVD too. I should re-watch them again.

Kilkenny

Coach
Cameron Smith is a little like Gus Gould you either love him or you hate him.

Amazing career, have to hand it too the bloke to miss so few NRL games over such a long career was a truly amazing achievement.

one of the greatest players ever. Fair play to him.

MugaB

Coach
The timing of smith’s retirement announcement has no impact on my opinion of him.

His all time merkin status was cemented the moment he stood over a paralysed man blaming him for breaking his own neck. Arguing the toss over a penalty while a bloke is literally crying “I can’t move my legs” mere feet from you is world class asshole material.
This, actually they should have made the statue of him standing over McKinnon the way he was that day...

Screenshot_20210311-095454_Gallery.jpg
seriously what a see.you.Ň.Ť. yeah!

But yeah.... he's a freaking great player

Mind you there's a fair gap in time before Cameron whinges to the ref about alex breaking his own neck,.. its really confirmed to me how much a piece of absolute SHIT that conman smith is,
Yep, this is an absolute win for all fans and the game.
Couldn't have said it better my self there snickers007, imagine if fans of the game actually remembered all the reprehensible things done throughout his career instead of the no. of first grade games = what a legend, truely a champion, a grade A+ Immortal, quick just give it to him now, and the 2 salary cap stripped trophies aswell.... oh sorry i forgot greenburg ain't the NRL CEO no more.. thats not happening

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Gotta love Laurie Daley on the BSB this morning. Making sure to mention plenty of people dont like the prick Smith because of his actions while Mackinnon was down. He made sure he mentioned that a few times, legend.