What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

WestyLife

First Grade
Yeah but using a the general public argument.

CCTV video alone isn't enough more is needed, Even Dylan Brown. A compliant was made, video footage backed it up.

Similar here, Looks bad but the lack of reaction from the player then action can't be taken

I'm not arguing he should be charged I'm arguing it's a dog act which it is twice. Although if it happens at a club with a woman you can bet there'd be a complaint.

The victim, male or female, is actually rather necessary on so many fronts.

In the Hopgood scenario, his shorts and swimming trunks, are particularly relevant if you want to consider whether a sexual assault has occurred. In such a short period of time say two seconds, three at most, even if you could prove Luke had the intent to penetrate Hopgood anus could it even have been possible. Could he achieve it from outside both layers of clothing? He might be able to accomplish his goals if he was able to get his hand inside Hopgood s swimmers but this could takes a fair bit of time, he would have been penalised for not getting of the tackled player long before being able to get his finger in Hopgoods bum.

You say no complaint, no issue, irrelevant, mate generally a criminal prosecution relies on a victim who during proceedings actually gives sworn evidence at court. The exception to this rule is murder, where in most instances the victim is not in a position to give evidence, in a verbal capacity anyway.

I'm going to stop engaging or ill cop a ban.

Kilkenny

Coach
Lets take the stuff about definitions and criminal codes out of it and simplify the matter. The NRL is a workplace. Should an employee have the right to turn up to work and not have to worry about someone acting like that towards them? The answer is very obviously yes. Whether Hopgood saw it as just a bit of fun isn't the issue (and there's no evidence he did). Luke plays (works) with many other players and they have a right to be protected from that sort of behavior too.

I dont think Luke needs to be criminally prosecuted, but in virtually any workplace in the country you'd be marched for doing something like that multiple times and getting caught on camera. I'd have no issue with the club or the NRL tearing up his contract on that basis.
Would you bother you conduct a thorough and proper investigation to ensure the principles of natural justice are applied And the rights of Soni Luke are protected.

Or is it the case, video sufficient, cancel the young bloke papers marked never to play NRL again. Kangaroo Court system is alive and well.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Would you bother you conduct a thorough and proper investigation to ensure the principles of natural justice are applied And the rights of Soni Luke are protected.

Or is it the case, video sufficient, cancel the young bloke papers marked never to play NRL again. Kangaroo Court system is alive and well.

Thanks Kilkenny, my thoughts exactly.

Folks are taking grainy video (off the TV) for evidence of what happened. How many cameras are at NRL games ?. You betcha the NRL looked at all camera angles to see if a case could be maintained and upheld.

From my reading of it. The evidence was inconclusive (in both cases). Did it happen, was it premeditated. I have no idea.

The only thing (I'm sure the NRL sought legal advice) was to send a concerning letter.

I shall say this, and then we are done. How would you feel if this disgusting act was done to one of your loved ones? So what if Hopgood didn't launch a formal complaint, he was clearly angered, hence him lashing out. I can't comment on the Garrick incident as I haven't seen it

Kilkenny

Coach
People defending a man ramming is fingers into a blokes arse without consent. Classy
Has a new video angle of the ‘ramming’ become available look forward to seeing it.

Maybe you could kidnap Soni after training, take him out on one of your boats, blindfold him and walk him off the plank into shark infested waters. That’d reach him.

Kilkenny

Coach
I shall say this, and then we are done. How would you feel if this disgusting act was done to one of your loved ones? So what if Hopgood didn't launch a formal complaint, he was clearly angered, hence him lashing out. I can't comment on the Garrick incident as I haven't seen it
Jane you have made up your mind. You have your views, that what opinions are about.

I on the other hand have an open mind, I’m not prone to jump to conclusions, I would rather make an informed assessment based on all of the available evidence.

A young man’s reputation, religious faith, career, and future is potentially at risk and I hope a proper process is followed before he is cancelled and destroyed .

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Has a new video angle of the ‘ramming’ become available look forward to seeing it.

Maybe you could kidnap Soni after training, take him out on one of your boats, blindfold him and walk him off the plank into shark infested waters. That’d reach him.

Whilst spitting at his face, but before making his walk the plank, why not bust both his shoulders.

That should square the ledger..........

Girds89

Bench
I think everyone is kinda getting really caught up in this..

No complaint has been made.

Yes it didnt look good but tv angles can be decieving and id suggest if the nrl had enough evidence to take it further they would but they have not.

Im tipping the integrity unit would have also spoken to hopgood who has not come forth with any complaint. So no complaint to the nrl or to NSWPOL.

No complaint doesnt necessarily mean someone hasnt done something but people suggesting sexual assault dont really have an understanding of the law or legal system..

Even if hopgood was to come forward and complain there would have to be a full investigation and it would be extremley unlikely any charge of sexual assault would even be laid against soni. There are more applicable less serious charges if he ever was to be charged.

People are clearly getting upset and thinking some people are defending soni... i dont think a single persons doesnt think it doesnt look good or that it was a disappointing stupid act..

But that doesnt make it sexual assault.

For all we know the NRL have spoken to Hopgood and he couldve said yeah he squeezed my butt, we are really good mates and i know he was just making around etc... or he could say he didnt notice anything... or that he tugged on his shorts... or that yes that he point his finger near his anus but he doesnt wish to make a complaint...

No one really knows and people are just speculating and basically adamant that he has committed sexual assault when that just isn't the case as Kilkenny pointed out in one of his posts.. the fact the some are wishing injury on him is pretty low.

Jane you have made up your mind. You have your views, that what opinions are about.

I on the other hand have an open mind, I’m not prone to jump to conclusions, I would rather make an informed assessment based on all of the available evidence.

A young man’s reputation, religious faith, career, and future is potentially at risk and I hope a proper process is followed before he is cancelled and destroyed .
I am a rape survivor, you imbecile.

soc123_au

Staff member
I think we are way too wound up in the correct wording of what happened.

I don't want to see him spat on, injured, walking the plank or locked up. I would also prefer not to see him wear our jersey again. It was a stupid stupid thing to do. A message needs to be sent and I think there should be some kind of punishment, once that is served he can attempt to resurrect his career elsewhere.

I don't want to see him spat on, injured, walking the plank or locked up. I would also prefer not to see him wear our jersey again. It was a stupid stupid thing to do. A message needs to be sent and I think there should be some kind of punishment, once that is served he can attempt to resurrect his career elsewhere.
The Panthers will not terminate him.

Girds89

Bench

No dramas with that if the nrl integrity unit conducted an investigation and they had sufficient evidence to terminate his nrl contract than so be it..

Maybe there is another camera angle that the nrl has that isnt is clear as to where his hand or fingers are placed and it actually basically clears soni of anything more serious... hence only being given the notice he was....

People dont have a clue whats gone on behind closed doors yet are throwing the book at him...

it didnt look good but that doenst mean he is guity of any offence... or that he doesnt deserve due process.

Unless your Hopgood or work for the nrl integrity unit than id suggest no one really knows the extent of what happened.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Especially after Tyrone May. Should be sacked tomorrow morning

soc123_au

Staff member
No dramas with that if the nrl integrity unit conducted an investigation and they had sufficient evidence to terminate his nrl contract than so be it..

Maybe there is another camera angle that the nrl has that isnt is clear as to where his hand or fingers are placed and it actually basically clears soni of anything more serious... hence only being given the notice he was....

People dont have a clue whats gone on behind closed doors yet are throwing the book at him...

it didnt look good but that doenst mean he is guity of any offence... or that he doesnt deserve due process.

Unless your Hopgood or work for the nrl integrity unit than id suggest no one really knows the extent of what happened.
My opinions are based on footage I've seen. If there is footage that exonerates him I'd like to see it.

soc123_au

Staff member
Especially after Tyrone May. Should be sacked tomorrow morning
I have this a rung below the May incident. Both as stupid as each other, but May had more time to consider what he was doing. Soni seems more spur of the moment, you would hope anyway. If it was premediated I'd bump it up a few rungs.

I have this a rung below the May incident. Both as stupid as each other, but May had more time to consider what he was doing. Soni seems more spur of the moment, you would hope anyway. If it was premediated I'd bump it up a few rungs.
If there is conclusive video footage of the Garrick incident, then he needs to be terminated.

Latest posts