What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

MugaB

Coach
Not really, but thats probably said with one eye open.

We have some great players who play a fantastic support role to some brilliant players. The likes of Sorenson, Smith, Leota and Tago who just know what is needed.

Too many teams try to be Penrith with half the determination, or skill of our lessor players but as my point is, the media likes to pump up the players that make the odd good tackle and the occasional line break.

Name some that you might have noticed.
Matty moylan was a great turnstyle, much more effective at fullback than at 5/8th... same as ponga who is also overrated in defence, my favourite this season was reece 'lightning' walsh especially in the GF
5595.jpg

The Realist

Juniors
Matty moylan was a great turnstyle, much more effective at fullback than at 5/8th... same as ponga who is also overrated in defence, my favourite this season was reece 'lightning' walsh especially in the GF
View attachment 82802

Moylan was not a turnstile for us at all. Even in his first few years at the Sharks he was at least a competent defender. He became a turnstile when Liam Martin targeted him. Then everyone else noticed and started targeting him as well.

BxTom

Bench
Moylan was not a turnstile for us at all. Even in his first few years at the Sharks he was at least a competent defender. He became a turnstile when Liam Martin targeted him. Then everyone else noticed and started targeting him as well.
Not only was he a turnstyle, he was regularly picked up and carried 10 metres or more backwards. Were you living in an alternate universe at the time?

MugaB

Coach
Yes well he was turnstyling back then too, we just highlighted it, just like we do everything better that clubs want to emulate... halves are the most important position these days for defending, if you cant do it, you leave a massive hole for opposition to breeze thru... its no coincidence that since we've have romey and nate, that our defence has been unbeatable, it will be interesting in '25 who gets to replace romey, we need defence over spark/attack
That mean laurie isn't it, and cole might be too young, I've said it before schnieder and cleary partnership might be the way to go defencewise,
and we all know which Ivan preferes

Yes well he was turnstyling back then too, we just highlighted it, just like we do everything better that clubs want to emulate... halves are the most important position these days for defending, if you cant do it, you leave a massive hole for opposition to breeze thru... its no coincidence that since we've have romey and nate, that our defence has been unbeatable, it will be interesting in '25 who gets to replace romey, we need defence over spark/attack
That mean laurie isn't it, and cole might be too young, I've said it before schnieder and cleary partnership might be the way to go defencewise,
and we all know which Ivan preferes
From the few times I've seen Schneider, before Ricky Stuart became smarter than anyone else in rugby league and got rid of him, he had size like Nathan and if I recall might even be a left footer.

A couple of years older with a Panthers pre season and his development will undoubtedly flourish.

The next thing on the wish list is for Brad Schneider to tear the heart out of the Raiders and really give Ricky something else to whine about.

MugaB

Coach
From the few times I've seen Schneider, before Ricky Stuart became smarter than anyone else in rugby league and got rid of him, he had size like Nathan and if I recall might even be a left footer.

A couple of years older with a Panthers pre season and his development will undoubtedly flourish.

The next thing on the wish list is for Brad Schneider to tear the heart out of the Raiders and really give Ricky something else to whine about.
YOU'RE ALL Weak, ...Gutted ....DAWGS!!!!
Rick Stuart weak Gutted Dog.jpeg.jpg

Fangs

Coach
Turnstile is a bit harsh on Moylan.

When I think of turnstile I think of Maloney who was absolutely appalling. Then you've got Luke Walsh who was like the security guy with the wand outside the stadium but only does it to 1 in 200 people on the way in.

Still, Moylan not a great defender and I wouldn't ever trade him for Luai or Cleary who are outstanding in defence.

Kilkenny

Coach
Turnstile is a bit harsh on Moylan.

When I think of turnstile I think of Maloney who was absolutely appalling. Then you've got Luke Walsh who was like the security guy with the wand outside the stadium but only does it to 1 in 200 people on the way in.

Still, Moylan not a great defender and I wouldn't ever trade him for Luai or Cleary who are outstanding in defence.
I agree turnstile is harsh.

Kilkenny

Coach
Stumbled across a podcast with Josh Mansour interviewing Nathan Cleary well worth a listen if you get the chance. It is lengthy at 52 minutes but maybe all podcasts are such a length. He also did one with Stephen Crichton, didn’t listen to that one, former Panther that he is.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Stumbled across a podcast with Josh Mansour interviewing Nathan Cleary well worth a listen if you get the chance. It is lengthy at 52 minutes but maybe all podcasts are such a length. He also did one with Stephen Crichton, didn’t listen to that one, former Panther that he is.

I think Sauce does a good podcast. It was fun. Like you I didn't watch the Critta one.

Kilkenny

Coach
Incredible performance this morning by the Kiwi heavyweight boxer Joshua Parker beating Deontay Wilder

It looked a mismatch on size alone but the Kiwi dominated.

Kilkenny

Coach
I won a small fortune on that fight. Wilder is a myth!
He did well to stay upright given the beating in the 8th round.

I thought raising his arms in ‘victory’ at the conclusion of the fight was the single most optimistic act I’ve ever seen in a boxing bout. The fact one judge scored the fight 120-108 says it all.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

I thought raising his arms in ‘victory’ at the conclusion of the fight was the single most optimistic act I’ve ever seen in a boxing bout. The fact one judge scored the fight 120-108 says it all.

Absolutely, he had holes punched in him.