What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General off season footy/sport/current affairs chatter

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I know the waiting list for SCG membership is huge. But you can bypass it with Stadium Trust Gold membership. It costs about $8K plus a yearly fee. It gives you membership of the SFS and SCG. My friend has 2 gold memberships.

Gronk

Staff member
8 Grand ? Eek. Do you get to see Ememin/Bon Jovi/Foo Fighters type concerts too ?

Maroubra Eel

Coach
My friends dad bought them years ago when they were only about $1500. They moved to Noosa and gave her the memberships. She just pays the yearly fee.

Gronk

Staff member
No. But you get tickets at Homebush for Origin and GF.

Let's do it.

You certainly make a compelling argument to do a Parra Pete on the Eels.

Then again, I've always known that following the Eels makes no sense whatsoever. The Bride has often said to me after (another) loss 'why do you do that to yourself ? Is it really worth the stress and anxiety ?'

Maybe I'm a masochist, but I'll defer my switch until the Lingerie League have a Sydney team at the SFS.

325px-Seattle_Mist_hike.jpg

84 Baby

Referee
You certainly make a compelling argument to do a Parra Pete on the Eels.

Then again, I've always known that following the Eels makes no sense whatsoever. The Bride has often said to me after (another) loss 'why do you do that to yourself ? Is it really worth the stress and anxiety ?'

Maybe I'm a masochist, but I'll defer my switch until the Lingerie League have a Sydney team at the SFS.

325px-Seattle_Mist_hike.jpg
Can't wait. Neither can my lesbian girlfriends

Hi all,

It's been pretty quiet in here of late, so here is a thread to discuss all things footy/sport/current affairs (not just Eels related) over the off-season.
No doubt, Maroubra will re-hash a few 7 year old threads to keeps us amused on the odd occassion, but we'll need more than that.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Best away ground you've been to: Suncorp.
Worst away ground you've been to: Shark Park
Best away ground food: There isn't any.
Other teams supporters who are the biggest knobs: Sea Eagles
Should radio rights be expanded to more than the ABC/2GB/2MMM? Yes.
Is Ray Warren past it? Yes.
Do you hope Manly lose the WCC? Yes
Do you hope GWS is an epic fail? Without doubt
Will the Aussies beat the Indians in the Summer test series? Draw
Gillard or Abbott? Rudd
Will Fisheel ever return to the forums? Yep, but under a new username.
Should we export uranium to India? Only if they sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty
Should gays be allowed the right to legal marriage? No.
Do you prefer a hot summer or a cool summer? Cool.

I should put this in the PD, but most people will miss it, so mods, f**k off.
Feel free to ask your own questions or raise any issue you feel like.

Have a pleasant summer girls.

Suity

Back to Suitmans original topic:

Best away ground you've been to: It'll will be its only vote I'm sure, but I like ANZ at Homebush.
Worst away ground you've been to: Brookvale
Best away ground food: All rubbish
Other teams supporters who are the biggest knobs: Souths
Should radio rights be expanded to more than the ABC/2GB/2MMM? Yep.
Is Ray Warren past it? Nope, but on the decline.
Do you hope Manly lose the WCC? Couldn't give a flying ....
Do you hope GWS is an epic fail? Good luck to them I say. In fact I think it will be a bigger success than most people think.
Will the Aussies beat the Indians in the Summer test series? Not if they keep picking Phil Hughes.
Gillard or Abbott? Malcom Turnbull
Will Fisheel ever return to the forums? Who knows.
Should we export uranium to India? "Only if they sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty". I concur.
Should gays be allowed the right to legal marriage? Yes, though I do wonder why it is considered such an important topic given the last census details I saw tells me that less than half a percent of all couples in Oz are in a gay relationship.
Do you prefer a hot summer or a cool summer? Summer all the way, despite the lack of footy.

Tank30

Juniors
Well, it's become a religious ceremony to an extent, but marriage predates most religions, and definitely predates Christianity. It's also evolved over time from its original purpose of signifying ownership of property (and women) by men, and to determine who would inherit that property. For people to say it can't evolve further is a bit silly given all that.

In Australia right now you can get married and have absolutely no involvement with a church or religion whatsoever in the ceremony (as I did). However, I don't think that a church or religious institution should be forced to perform a marriage ceremony that goes against their beliefs. So lets just remove religion from marriage entirely, and let straights and gays have the same basic wedding ceremony rites. Then if somebody wants to have an additional religious ceremony and a church or whatever agrees, they can do that.

No offence Mickdo but I don't view those type of ceremonies as marriages, for me if it is not in a church it is a civil union and not a marriage of any kind. I have no issue whatsoever with anyone at all having this kind of ceremony. What I do have an issue with is those of who would choose to have a church wedding being required to have another civil ceremony.

There are different avenues to the same result in many situations so why not here? Civil unions for anyone and everyone and church weddings/marriages for those would like to celebrate traditional ways. That way homosexuals, non-religious heterosexuals, Kardashians or anyone really can be joined under law and marriages can be left for those of us who value the tradition and beliefs that go with a church marriage. Win/Win right???

Gronk

Staff member
No offence Mickdo but I don't view those type of ceremonies as marriages, for me if it is not in a church it is a civil union and not a marriage of any kind. I have no issue whatsoever with anyone at all having this kind of ceremony. What I do have an issue with is those of who would choose to have a church wedding being required to have another civil ceremony.

There are different avenues to the same result in many situations so why not here? Civil unions for anyone and everyone and church weddings/marriages for those would like to celebrate traditional ways. That way homosexuals, non-religious heterosexuals, Kardashians or anyone really can be joined under law and marriages can be left for those of us who value the tradition and beliefs that go with a church marriage. Win/Win right???

Tradition ? Bah. Things change as do the church. Even the Vatican recognises evolution now to be fact acknowledging that man evolved from the apes.

Hopefully the tradition of change will continue and priests will stop touching boys, allow female ministers and perform same sex marriage ceremonies in church. Yeah I know, probably buckleys on all three. :roll:

mickdo

Coach

Well that's your opinion, but as I said marriage predates Christianity, so why does the church have a mortgage on marriage? Different religions and cultures have different forms of 'marriage', so Christianity doesn't own the name (even though they might like to think they do).

Best away ground you've been to: Suncorp or ANZ but ANZ is technically a home ground.
Worst away ground you've been to: Shark Park
Best away ground food: SFS or Diary Farmers.
Other teams supporters who are the biggest knobs: Dragons
Should radio rights be expanded to more than the ABC/2GB/2MMM? Yes.
Is Ray Warren past it? No just needs to stop trying to be "fun".
Do you hope Manly lose the WCC? Yes
Do you hope GWS is an epic fail? Yes
Will the Aussies beat the Indians in the Summer test series? No
Gillard or Abbott? Rudd
Will Fisheel ever return to the forums? His gone ???
Should we export uranium to India? Not until they sign the non-proliferation treaty
Should gays be allowed the right to legal marriage? Yes.
Do you prefer a hot summer or a cool summer? Cool.

Having said all that. The topic seems to have turned to same sex marriage and the definition of marriage.

As Mickdo said, marriage has been around a great deal longer then the catholic church.

If a man wants to marry another man that is not a blood relative, then I feel they should have the same legal rights and protections that a man marring a woman should have and vice versa.

I also believe that if a man and woman want to be wed in a religious ceremony that should be allowed. But even this in this country is not allowed under certain circumstances.

In my faith, if a man and woman are handfasted (our term for Marriage and the basis of the term "Tie the Knot") by a high priestess or high priest, it is not legally recognised. They then need to go through an "additional" set of legal requirements to, normally with a marriage celebrant to get the union legally recognised.

If christians have problems with same sex marriage based on faith then that is their call, I would suggest that they don't allow those ceremonies to take place in their places of worship, but that is as far as it should go.

If they press that further, then I must be mistaken when I thought we lived in a country where the government does not discriminate based on sex, colour or creed.

There are many issues with marriage laws in this country. Same sex marriage is just one of them.

* MITS is a openly bisexual pagan who has not had a same sex relationship for over 10 years. He is the national Vice President of Australia's largest pagan organisation the Pagan Awareness Network Inc. (www.paganawareness.net.au)

Haynzy

First Grade
As someone who has spent plenty of time in theological study I can tell you that it is very difficult proclaim homosexuality as 'wrong' biblically. What some of the churches say and what the bible says doesn't always agree.
The Roman Catholic religion says that the pope/church has more 'authority' than the bible. They claim that tradition holds more weight than than the bible too.
Have a look at the the things Jesus and his followers said and did and you will find a much different picture than that many Christians/churches say and do.

Glenn

First Grade
Best away ground you've been to: Bluetongue Stadium
Worst away ground you've been to: Leicharddt Oval
Best away ground food: Henson Park
Other teams supporters who are the biggest knobs: Wests
Should radio rights be expanded to more than the ABC/2GB/2MMM? Yes
Is Ray Warren past it? No
Do you hope Manly lose the WCC?Yes
Do you hope GWS is an epic fail? No, will force others to lift there game for members/supporters
Will the Aussies beat the Indians in the Summer test series? Yes
Gillard or Abbott? Gillard
Will Fisheel ever return to the forums? Who?
Should we export uranium to India? Yes
Should gays be allowed the right to legal marriage? Yes
Do you prefer a hot summer or a cool summer? Hot

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm sick to death of hearing about Bali Boy. What is it with the quality of the Australian media? There are over 50 under age Indonesian youths in Australian jails, (mostly deck hands etc.... on refugee boats) but they never f**king mention that. One Aussie pleb gets arrested for a minor offence in Bali and it's all over the papers for weeks.
This kid is a convicted criminal, but all the media want to do is make a f**king hero out of him.
Dumbarses.

Suity

Parra Pride

Coach
I was sick of that kid the first time I heard about it, I have no sympathy for him, he knew it was illegal and then he went and did it anyone. He dug his own grave, now he can lay in it.

Suitman

Post Whore
I was sick of that kid the first time I heard about it, I have no sympathy for him, he knew it was illegal and then he went and did it anyone. He dug his own grave, now he can lay in it.

If the family had any shred of decency about them, they would call a press conference, answer all the questions, out his face and get on with it. And f**king do it for no payment.
It's a sad, sad world we live in if merkins like ACA, TT or New Idea pay these people for their story, or if the family make any money out of it.

Suity