What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General off season footy/sport/current affairs chatter

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Well this threads fired a few people up.

I don't really care what the gays do, as long as they stay out of my way.

IFR33K

Coach
That's not the point I made. Don't misquote me.

Suity

So you werent trying to point out that a child, teen or adult being raised by gay parents could potentially feel displaced or as outcasts by their peers, as a result of modern day society???????

If not, what was your point??????

Haynzy

First Grade
Don't tell him it actually started out as a Pagan festival :lol:

It didn't. The church leaders at the time took that date to try to nullify the Pagan festval. The Pagan festival wasn't replaced, Pagans still celebrate it.

On the other stuff... Sometimes Christians are the worst example of the one they claim to follow. Many have become modern day Pharisees and Saducees, the very people Jesus argued against and was killed by.

Suitman

Post Whore
So you werent trying to point out that a child, teen or adult being raised by gay parents could potentially feel displaced or as outcasts by their peers, as a result of modern day society???????

If not, what was your point??????

My point was that to use Elton John as an argument was a very poor example.
It had nothing to do with him being gay.

Suity

Eelementary

Post Whore
Because it is morally wrong. Whats next, people wanting to marry their brother or sister. Why stop there, lets allow the 'other' sickos to marry their pets.

Sometimes political correctness needs to go out the window, and be replaced with a little common sense.

I will probably get flamed for my response but I dont give a f**k. Im a father, an uncle and still believe in traditional family values, ie 1 mother and 1 father.

...You're seriously comparing homosexuality (which is NOT a crime, despite what you may think) to bestiality and incest? Seriously?

How many of you know gay people? How many of you know gay people with kids? I know several gay couples who have kids, and guess how their kids turned out? One is in Parliament; one is studying to be a dentist; and the other got a gig promoting footy in Spain.

This insular way of thinking that people who are attracted to the same sex are "wrong" is just puzzling. How does it really affect other people's lives? I cannot see why gay people should be denied the same basic rights that every other person is entitled to just because they are "amoral" in their sexual preference (which in itself is medieval and offensive thinking anyway).

boxhead

First Grade
:lol:
IF3RK; how am I the one being brainwashed when the belief that homosexuality is "morally wrong" has huge religious roots?
Please tell me why a child with same-gender parents would have a worse upbringing than a child with different-gender parents?
You are blind by assuming that a child with homosexual parents would not have the same quality of life, education and parenting that a heterosexual couple would offer.
You also assert that a child with homosexual parents would automatically suffer abuse for it. That's funny, did you ever consider its because of thick-headed louts like yourself who don't tolerate people who are different?

:clap: for Gronk.

boxhead

First Grade
Well, it's become a religious ceremony to an extent, but marriage predates most religions, and definitely predates Christianity. It's also evolved over time from its original purpose of signifying ownership of property (and women) by men, and to determine who would inherit that property. For people to say it can't evolve further is a bit silly given all that.

In Australia right now you can get married and have absolutely no involvement with a church or religion whatsoever in the ceremony (as I did). However, I don't think that a church or religious institution should be forced to perform a marriage ceremony that goes against their beliefs. So lets just remove religion from marriage entirely, and let straights and gays have the same basic wedding ceremony rites. Then if somebody wants to have an additional religious ceremony and a church or whatever agrees, they can do that.

Great post, agreed whole-heartedly.

boxhead

First Grade
...You're seriously comparing homosexuality (which is NOT a crime, despite what you may think) to bestiality and incest? Seriously?

How many of you know gay people? How many of you know gay people with kids? I know several gay couples who have kids, and guess how their kids turned out? One is in Parliament; one is studying to be a dentist; and the other got a gig promoting footy in Spain.

This insular way of thinking that people who are attracted to the same sex are "wrong" is just puzzling. How does it really affect other people's lives? I cannot see why gay people should be denied the same basic rights that every other person is entitled to just because they are "amoral" in their sexual preference (which in itself is medieval and offensive thinking anyway).

:clap: Agreed whole-heartedly.

boxhead

First Grade
Now you are being pathetic.

It seems as though I have hit a raw nerve......this could be the perfect opportunity for you to come out of the closet, and you could feel accepted.....maybe.

You really are over-reacting. So because SDM, a poster that mixes sarcastic or ironic humor into pretty much all his posts, makes a light-hearted joke you accuse him of being a closeted homosexual that doesn't feel accepted?
Do you have any idea how much of a moron you look like?

Eels Dude

Coach
Marriage should remain what it is under the constitution, the union between a man and a woman. If homosexuals want to organise some sort of official ceremony and civilised union then good on them, but why not just call it that... it doesn't fit with the definition and historial and religous background of the term marriage so recognise it legally in some other way. Long term De Facto relationships are legally recognised not far behind marriage in Australian law anyway.

Gronk

Staff member
Marriage should remain what it is under the constitution, the union between a man and a woman. If homosexuals want to organise some sort of official ceremony and civilised union then good on them, but why not just call it that... it doesn't fit with the definition and historial and religous background of the term marriage so recognise it legally in some other way. Long term De Facto relationships are legally recognised not far behind marriage in Australian law anyway.

OK you totally made that up. :lol:

Section 51 of the Constitution merely empowers parliament to

....make laws for the peace, order, and good government of the Commonwealth with respect to:
(xxi) marriage;
(xxii) divorce and matrimonial causes; and in relation thereto, parental rights, and the custody and guardianship of infants;
http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/general/constitution/par5cha1.htm

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Gronk I'm considering following the roosters. Want to join me?

My main reasons for defecting are:
a) the stadium is heaps better, and closer. Heck it'd be a walk in the park for you to get there.
b) The transition wouldn't be too bad as Morts is there for familiarity.
c) we could buy gold memberships and also see the wallabies, cricket, swans, fc, etc. Also the gym facilities.

So what do you reckon? Are you in?

Gronk

Staff member
It's not so much of a topic change. As Roosters fans we will also be involved in heaps of gay marriages too.

There is a flaw in your argument there cos of the gay people I know, zero are interested in footy.

If you are making a change for better social conscience, then I suggest that you support the Sydney Convicts.

http://www.sydneyconvicts.org/

Maybe you could get them to play before NYC on Roosters game day ? Win, win.

Gronk

Staff member
Gronk I'm considering following the roosters. Want to join me?

My main reasons for defecting are:
a) the stadium is heaps better, and closer. Heck it'd be a walk in the park for you to get there.
b) The transition wouldn't be too bad as Morts is there for familiarity.
c) we could buy gold memberships and also see the wallabies, cricket, swans, fc, etc. Also the gym facilities.

So what do you reckon? Are you in?

They are doing ground renos there you know.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...million-makeover/story-e6freye0-1226123545599

I think there is a waiting list to get cricket membership. Your Dad would have had to nominate you on birth for you to be in the running.