What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geographically, which teams in the NRL don't make sense?

Perth Red

Post Whore
share the solution? :)

Lets compare when the weather is as bad as it was on that night shall we? You'd be lucky to get 8k, we got over 15k to one of the worse rain storms ever and certainly the worse I have seen in my years in Perth. Still if your happy with Sharks crowds great, I am more than happy with the 15K die hard Rl fans that braved that weather to show their support for our NRL bid and the other 7K who paid alot of money for tickets.

R&B apologies wasn't knocking the fantastic effort of the Bears vollies. Just meant that we are the only independent supporters group, the Bears stuff is coming from the club but I appreciate is equally valuable and fan driven.

carachias lets leave it there, you have an opinion WA isn't the slightest bit interested in RL and not deserving of an NRL team, I have clearly provided evidence it is. You are entitled to your opinion and good luck to the Sharkies in climbing out of the hole your in. I've lost a club twice and it isn't nice!

carcharias

Immortal
12 + k round 2 2011 flogging down with torrential sideways rain...on a monday night.

I am sure you and some others are keen to get a team.
I am not so sure the TV station will give a f**k...and that is what sponsors and the Nrl will look at.

Goddo

Bench
^ sigh. Go look at the TV rights thread. The only expansion locations that will value add to the TV rights negotiations are South East Queensland, Perth and New Zealand (Perth and NZ for timeslots rather than ratings/content driven like South East Queenland)

1. Pay TV will want a Perth team because of the 2 hour delay. It opens a "late" slot for live games into the East Coast. EG, 8:30pm live Saturday, Perth Reds vs Cronulla Sharks.

2. Go read about the Anti-Siphoning law changes. NRL games on Free to air will be broadcast nationally, on no later than a 2 hour delay - so Perth will get all free to air NRL games in the same timeslot as Sydney or earlier on a secondary channel.

3. If broadcasters are bound by federal law to show Rugby League, they will want local content to improve ratings.

Last edited:

babyg

Juniors
^ sigh. Go look at the TV rights thread. The only expansion locations that will value add to the TV rights negotiations are South East Queensland, Perth and New Zealand (Perth and NZ for timeslots rather than ratings/content driven like South East Queenland)

1. Pay TV will want a Perth team because of the 2 hour delay. It opens a "late" slot for live games into the East Coast. EG, 8:30pm live Saturday, Perth Reds vs Cronulla Sharks.

2. Go read about the Anti-Siphoning law changes. NRL games on Free to air will be broadcast nationally, on no later than a 2 hour delay - so Perth will get all free to air NRL games in the same timeslot as Sydney or earlier on a secondary channel.

3. If broadcasters are bound by federal law to show Rugby League, they will want local content to improve ratings.

The biggest hurdle for expansion at the moment is player quality. When you look at teams in unviable areas and you can see why people are constantly calling for their heads. I think we need at least one merger or relocation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The biggest hurdle for expansion at the moment is player quality. When you look at teams in unviable areas and you can see why people are constantly calling for their heads. I think we need at least one merger or relocation.

I think is has a lot more to do with skills and elite development pathways. isn't their something like 40,000 kids playing RL? Surely out of that many we can find 450 decent ones! If not then we need to make sure we have the $'s to go and raid the 200,000 junior RU players around the world and 20,000 UK RL players!

When you look at the RU talent that the GB RL team had in the 90's it makes you realise that there are heaps of top quality RU players that could make the switch and be stars. I think player quailty is a furphy that will be easily overcome with clubs having much bigger salary caps and the IC having much better Jnr development programs.

Latest posts