What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geographically, which teams in the NRL don't make sense?

carcharias

Immortal
you do realise the NRL has pretty much ignored WA for over a decade don;t you? Do you think the game has some god given right to be popular?

Give us FTA TV, give us a team, give us some dvelopment $'s, then judge us. Just like we are doing with the people of Cronulla who clearly have little interest in having an NRL team despite having all the above and 50 years to get it right.

calm down fugstick.

don't blame me if hardly anyone gives a f**k about nrl in WA.

Last edited:

Paullyboy

Coach
Why are you telling Perth Red to calm down? That post seemed completely calm, if anything you are the one that needs to calm down.

Rugby League will do well in Perth. It just needs a proper chance.

carcharias

Immortal
Why are you telling Perth Red to calm down? That post seemed completely calm, if anything you are the one that needs to calm down.

Rugby League will do well in Perth. It just needs a proper chance.

I stated the plain truth ...being... nobody gives a toss about nrl in WA.
It is an AFL state...through and through.
the odd ex NSWelshman or QLDner living there might be interested.

I lived and worked there ...he called me
you are cluelesss
however
I know what I witnessed first hand there. .

besides they have already tried WA...it didn't work.

Melbourne barely works.

Perth Red

Post Whore
can't decide if you are just trolling to deflect the embarrasement that is the Sharks at the moment or if you genuinely have missed all the RL development that has been occuring in WA over the last 5 years. We just sold out a game pre kick off, how many NRL clubs have done that this year? We just got 110k watching SOO3 despite shoddy treatment by Ch9, our SG ball side performed well this year, we have sponsors lined up to back the game here through an NRL team. I am guessing you must have been based on Rotto! What does it matter where the fans are from as long as they are willing to back the game and get involved?

Not sure what criteria you are using to decide if a club/game has interest but as a Sharks fan the "people in glass houses" saying comes to mind!

Paullyboy

Coach
I can only assume he's lashing out at WA because he knows the Sharks no longer have a value for the NRL - well not in their current location anyway.

I really don't think expansion is a good idea, the talent pool in this years NRL isn't enough to justify 18 teams, but we need a team in WA and we don't need a team in the Shire. It'd be nice if the Sharks gave up on their tiny little area and saw the bigger picture.

If we had an IC they could make the hard decision for the benefit of the game. Unfortunately it'll never happen.

00digger00

Juniors
Oi inbred. A QLD team hasn't made the GF in 5 years. Last year the GF had two Sydney teams. I'm willing to bet the same will happen this year.

NSW is better than QLD every day of the week in the NRL.

You do realise that NSW have 10 teams in the NRL compaired to 3 QLD. Out of the top 8 half are not NSW teams, and out of the top 4 there is only 1 NSW team....

Paullyboy

Coach
On some issues Bunniesman is actually pretty close to the mark. On others, well, it's best not to think too hard about it.

Goddo

Bench
^ well, its the ravings of a mad man - eventually he has to be right about something.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I stated the plain truth ...being... nobody gives a toss about nrl in WA.
It is an AFL state...through and through.
the odd ex NSWelshman or QLDner living there might be interested.

AFL is hated in WA just as much as it is loved mate, a big point of difference between WA and Victoriania. I know of a good number of WA locals around Perth who love what RL has to offer and would equally love a local team to support.

I lived and worked there ...he called me
however
I know what I witnessed first hand there. .

besides they have already tried WA...it didn't work.

Melbourne barely works.

The GC went through 3 teams before the Titans mate. Making reference to what happened during the StupidLeague era has very little relevance to the here and now.

Seems like you are shit scared of losing your side (and well you should be) and talking down a joint that will actually add to the game.

Pretty sad bro

carcharias

Immortal
I can only assume he's lashing out at WA because he knows the Sharks no longer have a value for the NRL - well not in their current location anyway.

I really don't think expansion is a good idea, the talent pool in this years NRL isn't enough to justify 18 teams, but we need a team in WA and we don't need a team in the Shire. It'd be nice if the Sharks gave up on their tiny little area and saw the bigger picture.

If we had an IC they could make the hard decision for the benefit of the game. Unfortunately it'll never happen.

ok lets stick a team in WA.

Make it fair..they can't cheat the cap like the Storm have.
Watch them sign hardly any marquee players and get flogged every week with a team full of park footy players.

Add to that a population that as a majority don't care for NRL.

Also ...how many other clubs will be willing to back a team that costs a fortune to play against?
Travel + accom costs would not be cheap.
It would be a full day travel for most teams.

They might get a few people to a one off game...big deal.
Soccer gets a few crowds to one off games here in Sydney...how are the a-leagues crowds lately?

Melbourne won the comp 2 in 4 years and still couldn't get much coverage on TV or print in VIC..

By all means ...waste your time hoping though.

Yes - sharks are fugged ...I have known for years.

I have also lived and worked in the gascoyne area, sorrento nrth of perth and dunsborough down south.
My company has an office in Perth and I go there occasionally .

Paulyboy has spent how much time in WA?

saintania

Juniors
In my opinion...

* Cronulla should relocate or merge to secure their future. They have been skating on thin ice for years.
* Bears should be re-introduced with a Central Coast component. They should never have been eliminated in the first place.
* Souths represent such a small geographical area, but have the juniors to back it up. I just don't think the name "South Sydney" accurately defines their location. Southern Sydney is St. George to Helensburgh in my opinion. Fold Easts or turn them into an inner city/east club.

The connection to the geographical centre of clubs is less important than it used to be. You used to be born into a Club based on where you lived, but I think it is less so now, as your team is handed down through generations. Myself and my closest Saints supporting friends were born in Mascot, the Shire, Dapto and Mt. Druitt. None of us have lived or currently live in the St. George district. In saying that, I would hate for Saints to become "The Dragons" as there is nothing better than seeing red and white flags, banners and signage in the area. During GF week 2010, I detoured through the St. George district on my way home every day just to see the decorated houses and cars. There was a huge sense of pride as people identified with the football team representing their area, even if they didn't actively follow league.

seaeagle sam

you do realise the NRL has pretty much ignored WA for over a decade don;t you? Do you think the game has some god given right to be popular?

Give us FTA TV, give us a team, give us some dvelopment $'s, then judge us. Just like we are doing with the people of Cronulla who clearly have little interest in having an NRL team despite having all the above and 50 years to get it right.

Not sure why you or others are blaming or taking out your frustration on the NRL. They administer a rugby league competition.

The ARL and WARL maybe should be higher up on your whinge list.

juro

Bench
Soccer was dying as the NSL then got a fresh start with the A-league. I just wonder how bad things would need to get for rugby league before a reboot would be worthwhile.

Mr Fourex

Bench

Watch them sign hardly any marquee players and get flogged every week with a team full of park footy players.

Also ...how many other clubs will be willing to back a team that costs a fortune to play against?

I agree with some of your observations/comments

Brisbane were coerced into selling their soul to News Limited and allowed the Melbourne Storm to pilfer the brightest of QLD's up and coming talent, like Smith, Slater, Cronk ......and (Inglis. :sarcasm: ) in order to bolster playing ranks, effectively making them competitive.

The same pilfering will need to happen to fill the void that W.A's grade footballers won't be able to fill

The NRL isn't ready for a W.A team yet.

The NRL needs to implement 2 more QLD based teams as a matter of priority over a W.A/non-RL state team and an already bloated number of NSW based sides.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
No reboot necissary.

Introduce the Bears as a true "North Sydney" mega club,
Relocate Manly to the Sunshine Coast
Cull Cronulla
Expand with Perth and Ipswich, then with Adelaide and Wellington.

There you have it, the perfect 20 team national comp.

Perth Red

Post Whore

They might get a few people to a one off game...big deal.
Soccer gets a few crowds to one off games here in Sydney...how are the a-leagues crowds lately?

Melbourne won the comp 2 in 4 years and still couldn't get much coverage on TV or print in VIC..

By all means ...waste your time hoping though.

Yes - sharks are fugged ...I have known for years.

I have also lived and worked in the gascoyne area, sorrento nrth of perth and dunsborough down south.
My company has an office in Perth and I go there occasionally .

Paulyboy has spent how much time in WA?

I can see why you are bitter, we already have a better stadium, bigger fanbase and more corporate support available than your team and we are 3 years out from joining the comp! :D

carcharias

Immortal
I can see why you are bitter, we already have a better stadium, bigger fanbase and more corporate support available than your team and we are 3 years out from joining the comp! :D

3 years?
ahahaha

mate WA would be nowhere near the top of the list of contenders.
Wendel was the only one talking them up....seen him around on TV lately?

by the way ...Sharks are playing again this weekend, I will go along as always and watch it live....I hope you enjoy the NRL replays at 2am.

Latest posts