What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

George Burgess charged

carcharias

Immortal
Talk about slotting in as a like for like replacement.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...er-burgess-out-of-the-hat-20130618-2ofhn.html

He smashed a couple of windows. He'll pay for it to get fixed. He'll pay the state a fine on top of it. No real harm done. Comparing him to Tamou is lunacy.

He gets a breather while we play Parra, no biggie, he gets back in next week and it's all good. Move along now people nothing to see here

sounds like a violent man to me.
Last night a car window...next time it might be a new born babys head...who is to know?
I think the only option is to send him packing back to that shitehole they call home..

El Diablo

Post Whore
sounds like a violent man to me.
Last night a car window...next time it might be a new born babys head...who is to know?
I think the only option is to send him packing back to that shitehole they call home..

can we deport Bunniesmong too?

HowHigh

Coach
Well that should be the end of that. The Burgess experiment has failed, let's move on and they can go back to the Super League.

Dogs Of War

Coach
A lot of big sporting clubs around the world have professional minders to keep players safe and out of trouble. It'll happen in Australia before long.

Except you only have to look at the NFL to see that players will still do stupid things, and the things those guys do are way worse than anything NRL players do.

If NFL has even better systems than us, and can't stop people being idiots, what hope do we have?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Except you only have to look at the NFL to see that players will still do stupid things, and the things those guys do are way worse than anything NRL players do.

If NFL has even better systems than us, and can't stop people being idiots, what hope do we have?
Noone is saying it would be fullproof. And a lot of the crap NFL players do they do in their own time. But on away trips and the eve of origin camp are times where there should be minders employed.

Minders could have kept both George Burgess and Blake Ferguson from doing anything dumb.

skeepe

Immortal
Firstly, Tamou got 2 weeks for doing something significantly worse. Burgess looks like getting at least 1 game and possibly more for something so much less.

And I meant standing down pending charges for people that fight the charge. Burgess isn't fighting it. He's admitted he stuffed up so the NRL/club should give him his punishment and get it over and done with. 1 week is plenty.

So those who claim innocence - and could possibly be found to be exactly that - should be punished more severely than someone who admits to committing a crime?

Danish

Referee
Who exactly are they going to employ as George Burgess's minder?

Whoever it is they'd be about as effective as Gentle Ben's handlers (please god somebody get this reference)

Danish

Referee
So those who claim innocence - and could possibly be found to be exactly that - should be punished more severely than someone who admits to committing a crime?

Assuming they are standing in between a souths player and a rep jersey, yes.

dontbro

Juniors
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ma1958118/s501.html

MIGRATION ACT 1958 - SECT 501

Refusal or cancellation of visa on character grounds
Decision of Minister or delegate--natural justice applies
(1) The Minister may refuse to grant a visa to a person if the person does not satisfy the Minister that the person passes the character test.
Note: Character test is defined by subsection (6).
(2) The Minister may cancel a visa that has been granted to a person if:
(a) the Minister reasonably suspects that the person does not pass the character test; and
(b) the person does not satisfy the Minister that the person passes the character test.

Character test
(6) For the purposes of this section, a person does not pass the character test if:
(a) the person has a substantial criminal record (as defined by subsection (7)); or
(aa) the person has been convicted of an offence that was committed:
(i) while the person was in immigration detention; or
(ii) during an escape by the person from immigration detention; or
(iii) after the person escaped from immigration detention but before the person was taken into immigration detention again; or
(ab) the person has been convicted of an offence against section 197A; or
(b) the person has or has had an association with someone else, or with a group or organisation, whom the Minister reasonably suspects has been or is involved in criminal conduct; or
(c) having regard to either or both of the following:
(i) the person's past and present criminal conduct;
(ii) the person's past and present general conduct;
the person is not of good character; or
(d) in the event the person were allowed to enter or to remain in Australia, there is a significant risk that the person would:
(i) engage in criminal conduct in Australia; or
(ii) harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person in Australia; or
(iii) vilify a segment of the Australian community; or
(iv) incite discord in the Australian community or in a segment of that community; or
(v) represent a danger to the Australian community or to a segment of that community, whether by way of being liable to become involved in activities that are disruptive to, or in violence threatening harm to, that community or segment, or in any other way.
Otherwise, the person passes the character test .
Substantial criminal record
(7) For the purposes of the character test, a person has a substantial criminal record if:
(a) the person has been sentenced to death; or
(b) the person has been sentenced to imprisonment for life; or
(c) the person has been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of 12 months or more; or
(d) the person has been sentenced to 2 or more terms of imprisonment (whether on one or more occasions), where the total of those terms is 2 years or more; or
(e) the person has been acquitted of an offence on the grounds of unsoundness of mind or insanity, and as a result the person has been detained in a facility or institution.

So basically to be deported, he'd need to be convicted and sentenced to prison for 2 years or more (which won't happen), or the Minister needs to consider because if his conviction he is not of good character (which also won't happen).

Dogs Of War

Coach
Noone is saying it would be fullproof. And a lot of the crap NFL players do they do in their own time. But on away trips and the eve of origin camp are times where there should be minders employed.

Minders could have kept both George Burgess and Blake Ferguson from doing anything dumb.

Minders are generally employed when they know they are going to an event where there is the potential to cause trouble or if requested. I can't see a lot of NRL players wanting to involve Minders who may feed info back to the club.

Or do you think each player should have a minder, follow them everywhere they go, just on the off chance trouble starts brewing? Sounds like a good gig, sign me up. I bags Dugan cause I like a drink too!

BunniesMan

Immortal
Minders are generally employed when they know they are going to an event where there is the potential to cause trouble or if requested. I can't see a lot of NRL players wanting to involve Minders who may feed info back to the club.

Or do you think each player should have a minder, follow them everywhere they go, just on the off chance trouble starts brewing? Sounds like a good gig, sign me up. I bags Dugan cause I like a drink too!
Players don't need minders when they are sober, but during the season when they're going to get on the drink and their decision making is going to be impaired they should have to have minders with them.

A minder would have stepped in and ensured that street sign didn't go through that window.

If what is alleged about Ferguson is true then a minder would have stopped him from getting back into the club.

Pugzley

My point isn't and never was that Burgess should escape punishment. My point was unlike many others he has admitted wrongdoing. What is the point of an indefinite standing down when the facts are not in dispute. Hand out the punishment, however much the NRL wants to fine and suspend him and have it over and done with. That is what I was trying to say.

End yourself, you f**king hypocritcal, c**k sucking, piece of shit.

ToothlessPerson.jpg

A punch up, assault and preventing someone from self harm can all be argued and self defence can be used as an excuse, but doing a "Bruce Banner" and chucking a sign through a car window can only be explained as a wilful act of stupidity. It's dumb and it's illegal and he is gonna cop it.

There are zero excuses and zero defences that can be used.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
The real issue here is what a terrible week it has been for my Dream Team. Had both Ferguson and Georgie.

Latest posts